Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Flip Key For Auris

Daveyonthemove

As much as i like my car, i've always felt that the key is a bit 'cheap' looking considering its a flagship model, and after doing lots of research, i've decided to buy a flip key to use as my main key for the car.

I've done this on the last 3 cars i have owned (Jaguar flip key for my Mondeo, and VW flip keys for a Skoda and a SEAT) so i'm not put off by this.

It should be easy to do as the inside of the auris key is a removable case containing all the electrics and batteries, and should be interchangeable with other keys with the right insert shape.

The only possible issue i can see is the actual blade itself, as they appear to be different, but i'm going to speak to a key cutter during the week to see if the blade on the flip key can be exhanged for the same type on the original key.

With any luck, i will have this key working pretty soon:

Newkey.jpg

• Like 2

I'm a bit more fussy, and i bet others are too, but will wait to see how i get on before taking the plunge.

• Like 1

I'd prefer to use the existing key - it works. Enough said

The existing key is too long for my liking, although it does mean I can say "mine is bigger than yours" for a change :lol:

I have the "smart keyless entrance" system and my car has a start-stop Engine Button.

I would like to fit a system by which I can start my car from distance by pressing a button.

As far as I was told in Cyprus, this system cannot be fitted as long as I have a start-stop Engine Button.

Has anybody tried it?

I have the "smart keyless entrance" system and my car has a start-stop Engine Button.

I would like to fit a system by which I can start my car from distance by pressing a button.

As far as I was told in Cyprus, this system cannot be fitted as long as I have a start-stop Engine Button.

Has anybody tried it?

as the clutch has to be depressed for starting with smart start system,then it may need plenty of mods to do the conversion.

Crasstoe, i too hate the sword like length of the key,keep us updated in the flip key results as i would also like to go this route.

Has anybody tried it?

All fun and games till you do that, someone jumps in and drives off ;) Bet its happened to someone

• 2 weeks later...

Any update about the flip key? B)

I have the smart key too, but it isn't perfect in my opinion..... A personal, frequent scenario arises where I have the smart key in my pocket, and I'm only about 6 metres away from my parked car (for several hours). I was told the other day that my car keeps flashing it's hazard lights - turns out that the buttons on the smart key are far too easy to press whilst in my pocket, which also contains my wallet!

As for the normal key, I do agree about a flip key, the key pictured by Dave above, looks like a vauxhall key, if so they are very nice!

Any update about the flip key? B)

I'm just waiting to hear back from the seller.

I can 'Buy it now' or make an offer, so i'm trying to save a couple of quid by making some offers, so once i have heard back about my latest offer, i will probably make a purchase.

I've been looking around at various pics of the internals and the actual key, and i'm quite confident it will work, but we will see once its been cut.

I will update once it arrives :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Please do let us know :)

Do they do such things for Yaris-style keys?

I've stabbed myself in the ***** or leg so many times with the ridiculously long Toyota key so a flip-key mod would be godsend for me! :lol:

That's one thing I've always liked about the Ford keys; stubby and rounded with no sharp bits to stab yourself with :lol:

Please do let us know :)

Do they do such things for Yaris-style keys?

I've stabbed myself in the ***** or leg so many times with the ridiculously long Toyota key so a flip-key mod would be godsend for me! :lol:

That's one thing I've always liked about the Ford keys; stubby and rounded with no sharp bits to stab yourself with :lol:

The one i'm looking at is advertised as a Rav4/Tarago/Prado key.

I've looked closely at it, and the blade itself isn't like a VW blade (solid and flat for a grove to be cut into) but it has the indent along the length of the blade, like a Rav4 key, and more importantly, like an Auris key.

key184-2B.jpg

So the only pitfal i can think off might be the overall length of the blade, but i can't check that until it arrives.

Aside from that, i'm confident it will work.

• Like 2

Is that a Transformers Autobot logo on the housing?! :lol:

Had a little hunt myself and found there are a few options for us Yaris owners:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-BUTTONS-TOYOTA-REMOTE-KEY-CASE-FLIP-KEY-BLADE-CASE-/290560535109?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a6c1ea45

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-2-BUTTONS-REMOTE-KEY-CASE-FLIP-KEY-BLADE-CASE-/250800377882?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a64de101a

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-2-BUTTON-FLIP-REMOTE-CONTROL-ALARM-KEY-NEW-CASE-/150575791919?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item230f043f2f

These three are particularly neat as you can put the remote block into them from the key; I'm considering it as my real Toyota key's casing is falling apart and the dealer says I can't just buy the cover and would need to buy a whole new key ("That'll be £190-thankyouverymuch") :ffs:

The only thing is I don't know where the transponder is; I'm not talking about the remote key block with the buttons on it (Well, unless the immobilizer transponder is built into that, but this seems unlikely since then the valet keys wouldn't start the car!)

On my old Fiesta the transponder was a small cylinder with an RFID antenna in it, stored in a red block, but I haven't seen anything like that in my Yaris' key...

It does look like an Autobot :lol:

All those keys you linked to look like they should fit.

Have a look through the descriptions and see if there is a pic showing the inside of the empty key. You need to compare the inside of yours to make sure the transmitter buttons will be in the right place.

The transponder is easy to find (on mine):

Complete key

IMAG0405.jpg

Cover off

IMAG0406.jpg

Transmitter removed and ready for new key case

IMAG0407.jpg

Button side up

IMAG0408.jpg

The transponder is easy to spot as it sits just below the transmitter casing in the bottom left side of the key (as you look at it in my pics).

Not sure how hard/easy it will be to remove, but i will find out when the time comes.

• Like 2

It's the same key I'm checking on the "bay". Today I asked the seller if he can directly provide to cut the new key before shipping, if I provide the code. (As he claims in the auction). Waiting for the answer, he's located in Australia. :-)

Sorry, am i reading this right?

You want to provide a stranger on the internet with the code to get your key cut, and then give him your address?

He may be in Australia, but he may know someone down the road with a shady history...

Take it to a key cutter in town, will probably cost no more than £6 or £7 pound.

• Like 2

Here's a review of the "Autobot" flip key from a RAV4 user. He got it from eBay after trying a cheaper flip key that proved to be too flimsy. The links to the pictures in the post don't work, however, you can view the pics in the poster's gallery:

Autobot key review

Picture Gallery

• Like 1

Thanks for the links.

I had read that review before, but hadn't seen the pics.

The flip key i have just won (had an email this morning) doesn't have the 'autobot' logo on the back of it, but the button design looks identical.

With any luck, i will have the key sorted next weekend. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Sorry, am i reading this right?

You want to provide a stranger on the internet with the code to get your key cut, and then give him your address?

He may be in Australia, but he may know someone down the road with a shady history...

Take it to a key cutter in town, will probably cost no more than £6 or £7 pound.

:blink::unsure:

Welp, ordered one, says it will arrive in 4 days so be interesting to see how it goes :)

One thing I hadn't considered is the extra bulk hanging off the keyhole and whether it'll be an obstruction (Esp. with the rest of my keys hanging off it!) but I guess we'll see...!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links