Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Recommended Oil For Gen 2 T3

driverandrews

Hi all.

I know everyone says that 5-30 oil is the correct oil for my 2008 gen2. The handbook,however, says that 0-20 is the recommended oil to use.

I'm slightly confused over this and would very much appreciate your views especially as the car is coming up for its 40000 service.

I've had the car about two months now and, quite frankly, it's the best car I've ever owned.

Thanks again.

I've posted this information in the past, so you can check one of my older posts if I've got it wrong from memory - it should be a fuel efficient specification ACEA A1 or A5 5W-30 oil.

I believe 2008 was the first year where Toyota changed the specification of the oil printed in the Owner's Manual. For some reason, not published openly by Toyota, they issued a bulletin to state the correct oil to use in a Gen 2 as the one mentioned above. Curiously, the same 1.5l has been in the Gen 2 since 2004, so I've no idea why the Owner's Manual changed in 2008, or why they later retracted it.

Your Toyota dealer should be aware of the correct oil to use or at least their computer system should be - on the other hand it has been my experience that the person behind the desk will probably get it wrong if they try to answer from memory!

5w30 is the recommended oil

0w20 can be used (I believe) but is about four times more expensive and results in slightly better mpg's.

If the car has always used 5w30 then I'd be inclined to continue using it. If you're up on oil specs you could always try 0w30 perhaps?

**NOTE **

The above applies to the gen2 Prius. The gen3 Prius MUST use 0w20 oil.

Just quoting the grade is insufficient, not all 5W-30 grade oils are suitable.

The CORRECT SPEC is 5W30 Fuel Efficient (FE) TGMO, which is API SL ACEA A1/B1, the part number for it at your dealer is 08880-80845 (5 litre can)

It is NOT fully synthetic but semi, does not need to be fully, and is not a recommended upgrade for that car

Kingo :thumbsup:

I assumed that being interested in oil's and their car, the op wasn't going to pop down to Asda and buy 5 litres of El Cheapo 5w30 oil for £5.99. If he/she sticks to a nice branded 5w30 oil, then they're unlikely to go wrong.

Thankfully Kingo has fully clarified the matter.

:)

I just re-read my post, sounds like I was being rrrsey, wasnt meant to be :mellow:

Just wanted to post up the correct grade before yet another oil related post went off into the Jedi ether :D:

How about this

I assumed that being interested in oil's and their car, the op wasn't going to pop down to Asda and buy 5 litres of El Cheapo 5w30 oil for £5.99. If he/she sticks to a nice branded 5w30 oil, then they're unlikely to go wrong.

Thankfully Kingo has fully clarified the matter.

:)

How about this for El- cheapo

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3370283e64

Take a look at this stuff! It might be sutable to... http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-5w-30-Toyota-Engine-Oil-/130671197622?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item1e6c9c3db6

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Q8 Formula V Long Life 5W-30 is a fully synthetic passenger car engine oil for normal and extended drain intervals.

suitable for most engines including AUDI, BMW, VW.

VW 504.00/507.00 Backwards compatible with 501.01/502.00/503.00/503.01/505.00/505.01/506.00 and diesel engines requiring 506.01, MB 229.51, MB 229.31, BMW LL-04, ACEA A3/B4, JASO DL-1, Meets the performance requirements of ACEA C2/C3

I dont know why a full synth cant be used? Even meets the C2/C3 specs...

Whenever oil is ever mentioned on here I want to hide :D:

I have no idea why Toyota don't put fully synthetic, or even recommend that you put fully synthetic in. They spend hundreds of millions on R & D. The spec is what it is, I recommend what Toyota do, if somebody wants to put fully synthetic in, that is a personal choice and they put what they like in. The OP wanted clarification of what oil goes in, the answer is 5w 30 semi synthetic

Rant over.........I'll get me coat :thumbsup:

Right oh mate! :D

Just thought I'd pose the question :)

Take a look at this stuff! It might be sutable to... http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Q8 Formula V Long Life 5W-30 is a fully synthetic passenger car engine oil for normal and extended drain intervals.

VW 504.00/507.00 Backwards compatible with 501.01/502.00/503.00/503.01/505.00/505.01/506.00 and diesel engines requiring 506.01, MB 229.51, MB 229.31, BMW LL-04, ACEA A3/B4, JASO DL-1, Meets the performance requirements of ACEA C2/C3

Sorry, it might be a good specification but It doesn't meet the A1 or A5 for fuel efficiency needed for the petrol engine of Toyota Hybrids. Edit, Oops I think I've just read that wrong the C classification is new to me. I've delete my comment, but left it there so you know I'm not cheating or not willing to admit when I wrong.

For example, look at the following link for explanation of ACEA classifications http://www.driverste....co.uk/oils.htm

Good point!... :thumbsup: I posting these links as I was wondering if these could be possible options...

When I looked into this a while ago, I found that there was lot more to engine oil than just the SAE grade, which was all I was trying to say in an early post but I guess it is not always welcomed when you point this out.

Take a look at this stuff! It might be sutable to... http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1423.l2649

Sorry, it might be a good specification but It doesn't meet the A1 or A5 for fuel efficiency needed for the petrol engine of Toyota Hybrids. Edit, Oops I think I've just read that wrong the C classification is new to me. I've delete my comment, but left it there so you know I'm not cheating or not willing to admit when I wrong.

For example, look at the following link for explanation of ACEA classifications http://www.driverste....co.uk/oils.htm

No probs mate :-)

Thanks fellas for the quick responses, 5-30 it is then. What a wonderful site this is, I'm a new member and I've learnt so much already.

Thank you all.

No probs mate :)

I'd also have a look at the Opie Oils site to see there oil finder guide for your car! I bet they give a synth option!... Oops!... That another Golf ball I wont get of me mate Kingo! :P

I am very confused by some of the posts on this topic.

As far as I recall, the Gen II handbook specified that the preferred oil grade was 5w/30, with some others as alternatives depending on ambient temperature. The only stipulation was that it had to be API SL (IIRC).

There was no suggestion that it had to be synthetic or semi-synthetic. Also the spec for the later API SM specifically covers the requirements of the older SL standard. The only reason I can see for using the (inferior) sem-synthetic, is that Toyota don't sell a synthetic 5w-30.

I have been supplying fully synthetic 5W-30 for the family GenII for most of its 118,000 mile life. The dealer is happy that it meets Toyota's spec, and the car is certainly happy.

Renault had a similar situation 10 years ago with the Laguna 1.9 DCi engine. They specified a semi-synthetic oil and an 18,000 service interval. They ended up replacing a lot of engines, because their specification was wrong. But not for those of us that used fully synthetic oil and/or changed the oil ourselves halfway through.

Finally I saw no signs of an ACEA spec being suitable for the Prius, either for the Gen II or the Gen III. If someone can satisfy me that this meets Toyota's requirements, then I will start using Shell Helix 5w-30 as soon as possible. This meets the ACEA standard, but doesn't have the API rating.

Kingo, can you show me where Toyota have said that an ACEA rating is acceptable?

If I'm not mistaken! Toyota do do there own full synth oil thats made by Chevron afaik! But I agree that a synth or a double ester oils is what I'd be wanting to put in my car!... But some dont want to use a full synth!... And thats a persona; choice at the end of the day I guess.

Your car up to you what you put in it.

My Gen2 Tspirit has just had its 70k done by me where I work and I was happy to use what Toyota and Autodata reccomend which was 5W30 Semi synthetic.

As I said up to you if you prefer a higher grade but what the manufacturer says is O.K. by me.

Kingo, can you show me where Toyota have said that an ACEA rating is acceptable?

AN

Here is the full list again

560218885_o.jpg

You can see the Prius MK1 and MK2 only has a requirement for 5w 30 FE oil. The genuine oil that Toyota supply in bulk and pack, for that grade is

08880-80845 5W30 Fuel Efficient (FE) TGMO 5 litres API SL ACEA A1/B1 5W30

They also do another 5w 30 which is

08880-82710 5W30 Premium Fuel Efficient (PFE) TGMO 5 litres API CF; ACEA A5/B5 C2 5W30

I am sure that using a higher spec, fully synthetic oil is no problem at all, HOWEVER it is not a requirement and not on the list of recommended specs. We all have our own preferences and indeed, as someone mentioned, it is your car and you can put what you like in it. When I see a post for "What is the recommended oil for my car" I like to give the correct info, if somebody wants to choose something different, then they are free to make their own decision. Handbooks are printed in English for very many countries where the viscosity is varied for climate reasons, thats why it can be confusing

Mistermena:

You are very welcome to a set of my balls, if only I knew your address :D:

Shouldn't you at least buy me a drink 1st before you give me your balls? :wub: :P :D I've got you down to a Tee! You'll show me your balls! play me a "Round" and then bugger off! :hug::arrow::in_love::blush::doctor::driving: :lol2: :bye:

You know me so well :blush: Here I am offering you my balls and Big Kev says he has first dibs on them :naughty:

Had my Gen 3 serviced this morning. Dealer was well aware that only OW20 oil must be used in Gen 3 & Auris hybrids. Even gave me the oil that was not all used to fill the engine. Could not fault the reception and dealer service I received.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links