Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lost Keys - Ecu Replacement & Key Programming Procedure

azeteg

Ok, here's the story.

A few months ago, I bought a Yaris 2004 from my mum when she got a new one.

3 weeks ago - my fiance called me and told she had lost the key (w/remote) to the Yaris. I drove to her with a spare key and few days later we went to the dealer to order a new remote key. They told us the remaining black master key would be essential, since the new key need to be programmed to this.

This weekend me and my fiance borrowed her parents SUV for a longer trip to Germany. Meanwhile, they borrowed the Yaris. When we come back - they have somehow managed to lose the grey valet key. Ok, I thought, I'll go home and get the last (black) key, which I remember that I have had lying in a drawer. When I came home I had a look inside this drawer and could not find the key. I called my mum and asked if she had the black key left somewhere and she tells me: "Oh, I did lose a black key to the car, did I not tell you?".

The day after - Toyota calls me up and says my key has arrived, and has been cut after my VIN. Great. Opens car and all, but refuses to start the car. They tell me I need a new ECU and transponder unit, which including labour will cost me around £1000. We are getting married in one month - and our marriage budget has already stretched out far too much. £1000 for a little tin box is the last thing I want to pay now.

So, I had a look around the internet and forums like this one, and tried to see what I could do about the matter. I stumbled upon this link: http://www.artsautomotive.com/PriusRFIDKey.htm which gives some ideas on key programming and ECUs. I then called a few scrapyards around Sweden to see if they had any ECU's from wrecked cars, and after some 20 phone calls I found a set of matching ECU+ignitionlock+transponder+2keys for £200. Exact same part numbers as on my ECU. All I need now is a confirmation of my thesis:

WOULD THIS WORK?

1. Make a copy of my transponder key that works with current locks onto non-transponder key.

2. Replace current ECU for new (scrap) one.

3. Tape the black master key that came with "scrapkit" to the ignition lock, like in picture from Prius link above.

4. Try to start car with non-transponder key in my current ignition lock.

THEN

(I have no clue about the key programming procedures. I have seen at least 4 or 5 different ones on these forums and other, but I don't know anything about them working for the Yaris.)

5. Go through key programming procedure (door open/close ignition turning etc) with copy key and taped master key, then removing taped key and inserting my blank remote transponder key to program it for the ECU.

Any ideas or thoughts from someone who has even minor experience in doing this would be very much appreciated. My budget just cannot handle a dealer repair of this right now :-(

Many thanks,

Martin

Basically you need to a key that will open the car, IE door lock and ignition and you also need a key which matches the transponder unit and the ecu.

So they key that turns off imobiliser and one that can start the car!

Will explain fully when home from work if needed!

should have thought they could just code the new key to the car using their tech tester like we do at work. you shouldnt need a new ecu though :blink: they`ll code it with the immobilizer/security code to the ecu.

Basically you need to a key that will open the car, IE door lock and ignition and you also need a key which matches the transponder unit and the ecu.

Yes - I will get one master key (and one valet key) with the used ECU that I ordered. So you think it will be possible to program my brand new remote key - thats cut for my car, to the new ECU?

If so - is the procedure I described in my first post the correct one?

Thanks,

Martin

should have thought they could just code the new key to the car using their tech tester like we do at work. you shouldnt need a new ecu though :blink: they`ll code it with the immobilizer/security code to the ecu.

The dealer told me that with these Toyota models it is impossible to code new keys to the ECU without an existing master key. An "Intelligent Tester II" can only program new keys to the ECU when a master key is pressent.

If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. Otherwise a thief would only need a tester unit and a new key, plus a screwdriver, to start the car and drive away.

/Martin

Yes - I will get one master key (and one valet key) with the used ECU that I ordered. So you think it will be possible to program my brand new remote key - thats cut for my car, to the new ECU?

If so - is the procedure I described in my first post the correct one?

Thanks,

Martin

Procedure is correct!

my fiance called me and told she had lost the key (w/remote) to the Yaris.

her parents have somehow managed to lose the grey valet key.

I called my mum and she tells me: "Oh, I did lose a black key to the car, did I not tell you?".

Don’t ever ask me to lend you my car :thumbsup:

Once is bad luck...

Twice is careless...

Three times is stupidity...

Maybe a dent in your wallet will focus your mind :wacko:

If you think about it, it kind of makes sense. Otherwise a thief would only need a tester unit and a new key, plus a screwdriver, to start the car and drive away.

/Martin

but they have to have the relevant codes to program a key and have a correct cut key with chip inside for it all to work

/Martin

but they have to have the relevant codes to program a key and have a correct cut key with chip inside for it all to work

a good key specilist can get a code from the ecu i Know of one in Bradford the may help

Well, a fresh ECU unit will accept the first blank key as a new master key for the car. I guess that is how they do it at the factory. In any way, they do not store the codes after the initialization process, only the key number is bound to VIN in Toyota database.

/Martin

my fiance called me and told she had lost the key (w/remote) to the Yaris.

her parents have somehow managed to lose the grey valet key.

I called my mum and she tells me: "Oh, I did lose a black key to the car, did I not tell you?".

Don’t ever ask me to lend you my car :thumbsup:

Once is bad luck...

Twice is careless...

Three times is stupidity...

Maybe a dent in your wallet will focus your mind :wacko:

Note, all I did was to order a new key when the first key was lost. The losing of the keys was not done by me - but by people in my surroundings.

/Martin

Today I received the scrapyard ECU and 1 black / 1 grey key plus transponder and ignition lock. I managed to get the car working again and programmed a new remote key cut to match my VIN.

I made a little guide on how to go through this procedure.

Total cost:

Scrapyard ECU-kit: €350

New remote (cut, unprogrammed) key: €100

SUM: €450

Perhaps make the following sticky?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOWTO FIX A TOYOTA YARIS 2004 WHEN ALL KEYS ARE LOST

Items needed:

1 x Matching ECU for your car (SCRAP-ECU)

1 x ignition lock transponder unit (SCRAP-TRANSPONDER)

1 x Master key coded for the ECU above (SCRAP-KEY)

(scrapyards usually sell these items together)

1 x New blank remote key cut for your VIN. (NEW-KEY)

PROCEDURE:

A) REPLACING ECU AND TRANSPONDER

1. Unplug the Battery.

2. Remove glove compartment.

3. Remove ECU protection plastic by pulling it outwards.

4. Unplug all cables connected to the ECU.

5. Remove old ECU unit. (Held in place by two brass screws behind glove compartment, a bit hidden by black cables. Remove those and then just pull the ECU outwards)

6. Put new SCRAP-ECU in place.

7. Connect the cables to new SCRAP-ECU.

8. Remove plastic covers around ignition lock / steering column. (1 philips screw under, 2 philips screws behind wheel - need to rotate wheel 90 degrees to remove those).

9. Unplug transponder unit by pulling upwards and disconnecting the cable.

10. Plug cable into new SCRAP-TRANSPONDER, but leave it hanging - don't connect to ignition lock.

11. Plug Battery.

B) PROGRAMMING YOUR FRESHLY CUT REMOTE MASTER KEY

1. Close all doors and windows.

2. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time. ?3. Place the SCRAP-KEY into the transponder hoop.

4. Insert the NEW-KEY into the now transponderless ignition. Do NOT turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.?5. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal five times. ?6. Within 20 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the brake pedal six times.

7. Remove the NEW-KEY from the ignition.

8. Remove the SCRAP-KEY from the transponder unit.

9. Within 10 seconds, place the transponder unit over the ignition cylinder and insert the NEW-KEY into the ignition.?10. Within 10 seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. ?11. After 80 seconds the new key is registered and the security light will go off.?12. Remove NEW-KEY and depress and release the brake pedal 1 time.

13. Your NEW-KEY is programmed and ready.

14. If securoty light still blinks and car won't start - repeat the full procedure.

C) REGISTERING A NEW KEY FOR REMOTE LOCK/UNLOCK

1. Open the drivers door.

2. Unlock all doors.

3. Insert NEW-KEY into ignition and then pull it back out.

4. Press the door lock switch (driver door) 5 times (LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK-UNLOCK)

5. Close and open the drivers door.

6. Repeat step 4.

7. Select programming mode by instering the key into ignition switch and turning it to ON (n times according to table below). Then turn key to LOCK position and remove it from the ignition.

1 time is ADD mode. Car will confirm this mode by locking and unlocking the car once.

2 times is "ERASE ALL OLD KEYS AND ADD THIS ONE EXCLUSIVELY" mode. Car will confirm this mode by locking and unlocking car twice.

3 times is "TELL ME HOW MANY REMOTES ARE ADDED TO THIS ECU" mode. Car will lock and unlock as many times as there are remotes registered. If there are no remotes registered car will lock and unlock 5 times. You can have a maximum of 4 remotes at one time.

8. Press the LOCK and UNLOCK keys on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.

9. Press either button on the remote by itself for 1.5 seconds.

10. The car will lock and unlock to confirm that the remote is stored.

11. Shut the drivers door.

12. Your remote key is ready.

D) REASSEMBLE YOUR CAR

1. Make sure the transponder is placed properly over/around your ignition lock.

2. Put back the plastic covers over the ignition and steering wheel column.

3. Put back the plastic cover over the new SCRAP-ECU.

4. Put glove compartment in place.

E) MAKE SURE YOU NEVER LOSE ANY KEYS AGAIN

I recommend that you make at least 2 black keys for your car with the procedure described above. Place one of them in a very, very safe place and attach a huge log to it, that makes it impossible to lose if you absolutely HAVE to use it.

Hope this helps...

martin@ninjafx.com

• 11 months later...
Today I received the scrapyard ECU and 1 black / 1 grey key plus transponder and ignition lock. I managed to get the car working again and programmed a new remote key cut to match my VIN.

I made a little guide on how to go through this procedure.

Total cost:

Scrapyard ECU-kit: €350

New remote (cut, unprogrammed) key: €100

SUM: €450

Perhaps make the following sticky?

HOWTO FIX A TOYOTA YARIS 2004 WHEN ALL KEYS ARE LOST

Items needed:

1 x Matching ECU for your car (SCRAP-ECU)

1 x ignition lock transponder unit (SCRAP-TRANSPONDER)

1 x Master key coded for the ECU above (SCRAP-KEY)

(scrapyards usually sell these items together)

1 x New blank remote key cut for your VIN. (NEW-KEY)

PROCEDURE:

A) REPLACING ECU AND TRANSPONDER

1. Unplug the battery.

2. Remove glove compartment.

3. Remove ECU protection plastic by pulling it outwards.

4. Unplug all cables connected to the ECU.

5. Remove old ECU unit. (Held in place by two brass screws behind glove compartment, a bit hidden by black cables. Remove those and then just pull the ECU outwards)

6. Put new SCRAP-ECU in place.

7. Connect the cables to new SCRAP-ECU.

8. Remove plastic covers around ignition lock / steering column. (1 philips screw under, 2 philips screws behind wheel - need to rotate wheel 90 degrees to remove those).

9. Unplug transponder unit by pulling upwards and disconnecting the cable.

10. Plug cable into new SCRAP-TRANSPONDER, but leave it hanging - don't connect to ignition lock.

11. Plug battery.

B) PROGRAMMING YOUR FRESHLY CUT REMOTE MASTER KEY

1. Close all doors and windows.

2. Simultaneously depress and release brake and accelerator pedals 1 time. ?3. Place the SCRAP-KEY into the transponder hoop.

4. Insert the NEW-KEY into the now transponderless ignition. Do NOT turn the key from the OFF (LOCK) position.?5. Within 15 seconds of inserting the key, depress and release the accelerator pedal five times. ?6. Within 20 seconds of completing the above step, depress and release the brake pedal six times.

7. Remove the NEW-KEY from the ignition.

8. Remove the SCRAP-KEY from the transponder unit.

9. Within 10 seconds, place the transponder unit over the ignition cylinder and insert the NEW-KEY into the ignition.?10. Within 10 seconds, depress and release the accelerator pedal one time. ?11. After 80 seconds the new key is registered and the security light will go off.?12. Remove NEW-KEY and depress and release the brake pedal 1 time.

13. Your NEW-KEY is programmed and ready.

14. If securoty light still blinks and car won't start - repeat the full procedure.

C) REGISTERING A NEW KEY FOR REMOTE LOCK/UNLOCK

1. Open the drivers door.

2. Unlock all doors.

3. Insert NEW-KEY into ignition and then pull it back out.

4. Press the door lock switch (driver door) 5 times (LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK-UNLOCK-LOCK-UNLOCK)

5. Close and open the drivers door.

6. Repeat step 4.

7. Select programming mode by instering the key into ignition switch and turning it to ON (n times according to table below). Then turn key to LOCK position and remove it from the ignition.

1 time is ADD mode. Car will confirm this mode by locking and unlocking the car once.

2 times is "ERASE ALL OLD KEYS AND ADD THIS ONE EXCLUSIVELY" mode. Car will confirm this mode by locking and unlocking car twice.

3 times is "TELL ME HOW MANY REMOTES ARE ADDED TO THIS ECU" mode. Car will lock and unlock as many times as there are remotes registered. If there are no remotes registered car will lock and unlock 5 times. You can have a maximum of 4 remotes at one time.

8. Press the LOCK and UNLOCK keys on the remote simultaneously for 1.5 seconds.

9. Press either button on the remote by itself for 1.5 seconds.

10. The car will lock and unlock to confirm that the remote is stored.

11. Shut the drivers door.

12. Your remote key is ready.

D) REASSEMBLE YOUR CAR

1. Make sure the transponder is placed properly over/around your ignition lock.

2. Put back the plastic covers over the ignition and steering wheel column.

3. Put back the plastic cover over the new SCRAP-ECU.

4. Put glove compartment in place.

E) MAKE SURE YOU NEVER LOSE ANY KEYS AGAIN

I recommend that you make at least 2 black keys for your car with the procedure described above. Place one of them in a very, very safe place and attach a huge log to it, that makes it impossible to lose if you absolutely HAVE to use it.

Hope this helps...

martin@ninjafx.com

Or you can look at this thread http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82358

This saves all the hassle of registering new keys etc as they will already be registered when you get the ecu back.

Cheers

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

I can program new keys into ECUs when there are no other keys available. No new parts. Just send the ECU from your car and your VIN and I can send back a working key. Much cheaper than these options!!!

www.keyprogrammers.com

• 7 months later...

What is the procedure for resetting the key after replacing the Battery, for a 2001 yaris btw? Thanks.

• 6 years later...

I have Toyota Yaris 2002 1.4 CDX-D4D UK version with one black key which when insert into ignition does nothing and the security light keeps blinking with the same frequency as without any keys inserted. Though, when I turn the key to position 3 (ON) when all dashboard lights come on and systems checks happen then the security light goes off instantly. From what I have read it should either:

1) Master key - security light goes off instantly when master key is inserted into ignition without turning
2) Valet key - security light goes off after roughly 2 seconds after insertion into ignition without turning
3) Unprogrammed key - security light keeps flashing

None of the above applies to my situation but I can still start my car and operate all locks etc. as if it was master key.

Would be grateful if someone with Yaris 1999-2004 could test and confirm if you get the same behaviour with your master and valet keys inserted into ignition without and with turning.

Many thanks,
David

• 8 years later...

Well, we have one copied key and lost the master.!
Sticking the copied-key hidden inside/behind the ignition switch means any old blank cut with the profile worked! Slightly less secure(?) but who wants a 22 year-old yaris (or 50year-old logician 🙂 )anyway! 
Occam, superb.! Similar but not the same to Ford-Es&^%t diesel vans from the 90's!
You're welcome if it helps.!
NEAL

Did that on a Micra that we bought for my son to learn to drive in. It was a Cat C and missing master key and only had one normal key which couldn't be copied. Disassembled the plastic on the key, took the transponder chip out and glued it next to the ignition barrel under the shroud.  As you say, any non-chipped key would work with the car.