Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auto Headlights/door Locking

Sknarf

2.0 D4-d T-spirit.

Hi ya guys. 1st post as only got my car on tuesday. loving it so far and am impressed with the smoothness of the ride and general build quality of the car.

The car is leased through work and it is a nightmare trying to arange to get any non-essential work done as i have to go through a central call centre :angry:

so my question is this: Is it is possible to adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights yourself and enable the auto door locking facility.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that there is a procedure of pressing buttons and switches which enable the editing functions but i cant find it.

If anyone out there knows how to do it i would be grateful if they could let me know.

cheers. :thumbsup:

Ye it would be nice I'm interested in that too specially for the Auto lock feature. I have no complains about the headlights sensor i think it works ok maybe a little slow when I go into tunnels but acceptable.

Ye it would be nice I'm interested in that too specially for the Auto lock feature. I have no complains about the headlights sensor i think it works ok maybe a little slow when I go into tunnels but acceptable.

I like the Auto headlights as an option, but I find they come on a little too early and I'd just like to reduce the sensitivity a bit. I was on the M1 yesterday and they were on and off every few minutes every time a black cloud came over. :o

• 3 weeks later...

During the last visit at the Toyota service to solve the squicky brakes problem I asked the reception guy if it was possible to activate the auto lock once the car starts to move. He said no that a special module is required and that toyotas don't have it. I told him that this should be only a software issue since the Auris already and motion detectors otherwise we wouldn't have the warning sound of the seat belt not on. So the only issue here is if the locking system is connected to the ECU or not. I can almost bet it is. If so it's just a matter of new firmware or more simply some option enabling in the ECU control GUI when they connect the car to the "machine".

If someone as managed to activate this or if they got the same answer as me please let me know. I find it hard to believe that such a common feature isn't available.

Hello, once again I come to write about these issue. I don't know if many of you read the entire manual but some of the answers are there.

I talked with my friend that has an Audi A3 the auto locking once in motion feature was not enabled on his car however the manual explained that is was possible to do so and to request it and the dealer. The same applies with some Renault cars in these case you just need to make a small trick procedure to activate it. Anyhow both were described on the manual.

We checked the Auris manual and nothing concerning this is stated either on the locking doors section or system configuration settings. As so I assume the Auris doesn't have such feature :( I really wanted this don't know why they didn't place it even as an optional like other brands do.

However for the second issue of this topic I did find something related to the headlights sensor from what I could understand you can configure the sensibility of the sensors ( 5 levels available). But these has to be done on the dealer I think you just need to request it.

Once again if someone finds that the auto lock is possible somehow please let me know.

Thanks

In Finland we doesn't have any options with headlights. They are always on and my Auris just flashes instrument lights between daylight and dusk. Headlight washers are sharing that system and whenever it's dark and I'm washing my screen, those ****ing poppers pop up and just ***** a drop to my headlights, when it's bright they're quiet. In real life, in that salt water shower in Finland, are those hl washers almost useless. I have xenon headlights, that's even worse. And we have a very limited washer capacity compared with others. Only 4 liters. Many europeans have over 10 liters.

Jukka

• 2 weeks later...

Ok finally we have an official info from Toyota europe. I send them an email last week about the auto lock feature and I received the answer today. See bellow:

"Thank you for your email of 03 January 2008.

The Toyota Auris is indeed not equipped with an auto locking system.

However, there is a Toyota accessory alarm device with this system. The

automatic door locking system can be programmed: activated or deactivated

This accessory could perhaps be a good solution for you."

In other words its the VSS system of toyota, i.e., the alarm. They even sent me the manual for these with several procedures to enable some options. Who ever is interested just PM me with your mail and I will send it. So if you do have the VSS alarm system in your Auris you can in fact have the auto lock doors feature. In this case it works with the key placed on the ignition I think.

I do have an alarm but my alarm is not from Toyota my dealer decided to install a Tecnimaster alarm which is fully compatible. The problem is the TM version that supports this feature is the ones which requires another remote control. The version which allows you to use the car remote doesn't this feature, at least this is the info that is in their website www.tecnimaster.com still I will try the procedure in the manual and see what happens.

I cannot complain about the alarm they installed because I had no idea of these restrictions and also because this alarm as more features and its cheaper. For example for you to have the volumetric sensor with the VSS you have to buy a separate module. Also the VSS doesn't have auto window closing I think and this one have. Another advantage is that I can keep my over-head bin. For those who have it also, in case you put a VSS you will loose the sun-glasses compartment because that is where they place the volumetric sensors and volumetric disabling button off course you don't have to buy these module since it is sold separately and I said before. Those small air entries on the over-head bin are for the volumetric sensors in case you are asking your self what are they for and if look insise when you open the bin you will see a button which is for the volumetric disabling button. In my case I prefer to have the both volumetric sensor and the over-head bin which is very handy to store some papers or so.

Anyway this is a relevant information for those who really want the auto lock system it has some advantages and disadvantages. I hope the procedure still works with a non-VSS alarm :D

Here is what I think is the procedure. The manual is a little confusing because it gives you steps to enable programming then specific steps for each feature configuration instead of making it from top to bottom for each feature configuration, so if it doesn't work just go to a Toyota service or request me the manual:

Enabling the programming mode:

For remote control key cars:

– Insert the key into the ignition.

– Turn the key to IG ON position 5 times (IG OFF -> ON) within 20 s.

– Final key position: IG ON, Alarm status light (LED) is on for 30 s.

For Smart key Entry cars:

– Have the smart key inside the vehicle.

– Without pressing the clutch, press the start switch until IG ON status has been reached 5 times (IG OFF -> ON) within 20 s.

– Final start switch status: IG ON, Alarm status light (LED) is on for 30 s.

Select the programming mode:

Within 30 sec, select the programming mode by performing the following number of door open/close operations; (counting the number of closures).

One: Buzzer ON/OFF

Two: Automatic doors lock ON/OFF

Confirmation of programming mode:

Turn the key or press the start switch to reach the OFF position, (IG ON -> OFF) to enter selected the programming mode.

The selection is confirmed by hazard lights flashing and the buzzer beeping the same number of times as the above number of door open/close operations.

Modify the settings of the feature:

Close door count:

Automatic doors lock ON/OFF.

1) Open and close the door two times within 30s (LED will turn ON).

Once: Automatic door locks OFF.

Twice: Automatic door locks ON.

2) Turn the key (IG OFF > ON > OFF). The LED will turn OFF and the hazard lamps turn ON the same number of times as the door open/close operations.

30 seconds after no operation (all new data will be stored)

Let me know the result

Grippen: Have you already try this procedures(closing doors..., and ignitio) in order to see the reaccion of your car?

How much did you pay for your alarm?

The official alarm how much it costs?

I still didn't try but I will do it today.

I didn't anything for the TM alarm since it was one of the offers from the dealer.

However at Toyota.pt online store you can check the prices.

TM alarm using car remote: 205.7 euros + 91.96 euros (window auto closing module)

TM alarm using its own remote: 217,8 euros + 91.96 euros (window auto closing module)

Toyota VSS alarm central unit: 129.2 euros

Toyota VSS volumetric sensors: 84.76 euros

Toyota VSS auto feeded sirine: 73.06 euros

I'm not sure that mine is auto feeded or not but I don't think VSS as the window auto closing option module. Difference is not big if you consider only alarm and volumetric sensors but you will loose the over-head bin and I do not know if it isn't a little more complex to install the Toyota one and therefore more installation costs.

Ok I completed the procedure yesterday I don't think I missed any step and no go. Nothing happen no sounds or flashing lights. I guess I have no chance of having this. Pitty the alarm from TM doesn't have this feature at least the integrated remote version doesn't which is too bad. How come Toyota forgot such a common feature every car has it now even if disabled by default...

And what about just installing the module for the auto-locking feature, without the Toyota Alarm?

Can Toyota Europe tell us that this can be done?

I don't think this can be done but here is the mail you can try and ask them cust.service@toyota-europe.com

However I'm sure it can't be done since this is not a separate module but a part of the VSS alarm. Basically the ECU of the alarm controls this and if it acts like others will lock the doors immediately after you place the key in the ignition. If you remove the key of the ignition it will unlock.

In fact the TM30 alarm from Tecnimaster has this feature and a few other curious ones like locking the car automatically when it doesn't detect someone inside the car and the key in the ignition (handy in case you forget to lock the car). Problem is that this alarm requires a specific remote control. The TM40 (works with the toyota remote) which is the one I have on my Auris doesn't have (according to the website) such features but its a little bit silly since I'm sure he alarms are practically the same. Maybe it is even possible to activate these features on the TM40 but for a market thing (or a Toyota agreement) they say its not possible.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links