Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is Lpg Possible

Hoovie

I think I - sadly - know the answer to this one, but to double check...

Is it possible to do an LPG conversion on the 2.0 VVT-i engine? I think I have read somewhere not, something to do with soft valves?? but liek to hear what the true story is from the Forum guys who are much more clued up ;)

I have seen some pics of Jeep Cherokee conversions where they replace the standard fuel tank with a two-section one - one for petrol and one for LPG - which would deal with the "where to put the tank" question nicely :D

Bothy's good at these things. He runs his car on it, carbonates his moonshine with it and generates it from deep fried mars bars.

I don't have clue if its possible!

I just worked out that my RAV is costing me 19p a mile in fuel - Hence the renewed interest in LPG

My company only pay 14p a mile, so each time I drive to the office, it costs me £15 of my own cash :blowup:

Think I will have to refuse to go :nono:

Hoovie.............Have a better idea and plan for you.........

Move over to the black pumps and go :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Diesel :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Or come and work where I do....they pay you 15p mile.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I changed from Petrol to Diesel, my company would not pay 14p a mile - it goes down to 12p a mile - and with the extra cost of Diesel over Petrol, I would STILL be subsidising the tight buggers :angry:

When I was looking at my RAV4, I did see a 2005 Carbon Quartz (my preferred colour) Diesel XT-R which would have been ideal but it was in Norwich and I am in Devon, so decided not to go look :(

If I changed from Petrol to Diesel, my company would not pay 14p a mile - it goes down to 12p a mile - and with the extra cost of Diesel over Petrol, I would STILL be subsidising the tight buggers :angry:

When I was looking at my RAV4, I did see a 2005 Carbon Quartz (my preferred colour) Diesel XT-R which would have been ideal but it was in Norwich and I am in Devon, so decided not to go look :(

I feel really sorry for you guys only getting 12p a mile off your companies. I run a Black cab for a living out of m/c airport it costs 20p per mile for fuel, If ididnt have full NCB £5000 P.A insurance.it cost £31000 to buy The airport charge us £1.60 for every fare I do. annual MOT £377.and road tax£405

My badge£80 P.A also Plates (this Is the license to operate) would currently cost you £55000 to buy. and our rate to the customer about £1.50 per mile and NO we cannot pass fuel increases on to the customer :(

fieldinsb is running his NRG on LPG, drop him a pm.

Local hero - dunno how you cannae be bothered lobbing a grenade intae sumo the government offices aroon yer area - totally ridik on hoo they treat fowk trying tae make a living.

On the LPG -

on petrol engines - yes you can convert it to LPG - there will be an installer near you as they say. The cost is normally up to £2000 but I think the Govt subsidy has vanished. LPG is costing about 45p a litre upwards. There is some media coverage that the Gov will remove tax subsidies on "bio" fuels in the next 3 years but dunno if this includes LPG.

LPG runs the engine at a slightly higher temperature - eg the Renault espace engine disnae like it tae much. If you make sure that the coolant system is 100%, then it should not be a problem. The problem comes if you need to use a dealer cos most of them wont touch an lpg car. The lpg installer can fix most of the things anyway, but where the lpg ecu takes it lead from the cars main ecu then I would suggest you have a rethink unless you are doing high mileage

Soft valves is the problem that the espace 2.2 engine has.

I can't remeber the name of the chap on this forum that has a lpg tank fitted - doughnut in the boot....so it can be done. Do a search on this forum. No mention was made of any problem with the VVti engine - it really should be ok.

noo,

back to the 67% proof

ma wumins awa tae Noo York the day so its play aw week

Awa tae Crail next Sunday fir a car show....

Hi

i run my 4.1 on lpg and when I had it converted i was told the newer rav's could be done

something to do with the long stemmed valves and an addative that stops them overheating

go to motorgasconvertions.com or telephone 01254 879734 ask for Simon

I have no interest in them except they converted my Rav for me

regards

Marshall

Cheers Guys.

I will give Simon a call :thumbsup:

Personally, would not be keen on a big doughnut tank in the boot - bought the RAV4 5-Door for the extra space so don't wanna lose it, but an underbody tank would be good.

New XTR owners could sit their spare wheel on top of the doughnut tank.....................

incominggggg..............................

New XTR owners could sit their spare wheel on top of the doughnut tank.....................

incominggggg..............................

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I think I - sadly - know the answer to this one, but to double check...

Is it possible to do an LPG conversion on the 2.0 VVT-i engine? I think I have read somewhere not, something to do with soft valves?? but liek to hear what the true story is from the Forum guys who are much more clued up ;)

I have seen some pics of Jeep Cherokee conversions where they replace the standard fuel tank with a two-section one - one for petrol and one for LPG - which would deal with the "where to put the tank" question nicely :D

Hello Hoovie,

I am driving an Avensis 1.8 on LPG and read a lot in german LPG forums. I just read an interesting review of a Rav4 2.0 VVT-i/LPG driver. Here is the link:

http://www.stefan-loth.de/index.php?option...&Itemid=128

You can use the google translator or any other one to get a readable text.

There are indeed some concerns about seat recession of outlet valves in recent VVT-i engines. The RAV4 is one of those. If you drive at moderate speeds, not like those crazy germans I am with all the time, seat recession should be moderate. Regular valve checking (costs one hour labour) is a must (every 20000 miles), and mounting a Flash Lube lubricator is improving the situation. The problem with this lubricator is its correct dosing and the equal lubrication of all the cylinder heads. A good convertor should know the best place to connect the the FL tube to the engine. Increasing the valve play a 7 hours job and costs 450 to 500 euro here on the continent. It could become necessary between 60000 and 150000 km, but it is still cheaper than reinforcing the seats.

In conclusion, valve recession will take place, but it difficult to predict when one has to spend money to counter it. It strongly depends on the driving style. It can only be done two to three times.

Getting LPG is very appealing, but it is not without risk. I did it after a lenghty research, but only after changing in my Corolla Verso MMT, with a "short" transmission for my Avensis 1.8 Automatic with an overdrive. The aim being to avoid high revs. It is difficult with my cr to ev > 4000 rpm.

You can visit my car presentation on the german Toyota site:

http://board.toyotas.de/thread.php?threadid=127305&sid=

It is too new to say anything about problems. I am pleased so far. The car drives the same and I like it like it is.

Regards from Kehl, just near Strasbourg, across the border.

Jan

Hello Hoovie,

I am driving an Avensis 1.8 on LPG and read a lot in german LPG forums. I just read an interesting review of a Rav4 2.0 VVT-i/LPG driver. Here is the link:

Jan

Thanks Jan :thumbsup:

For anyone interested, This is the Google translation link to the site Jan posted

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...=en&ie=UTF8

Interesting writeup - not fully sure of some of the translation, but gist does seems to be LPG is very viable on the RAV4, but it is neccessary to:

1) use some "Flash Lube" to help wear

2) carry out valve adjustment at (every?) 40k Miles - and overhaul the Cylinder Head at 80k Miles - this may not be needed if "Flash Lube" is used (not sure how well the translation worked on that part?)

3) Keep a more careful eye on things then running on just petroil would require.

Hello Hoovie,

Jan

Thanks Jan :thumbsup:

For anyone interested, This is the Google translation link to the site Jan posted

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=ht...=en&ie=UTF8

Interesting writeup - not fully sure of some of the translation, but gist does seems to be LPG is very viable on the RAV4, but it is neccessary to:

1) use some "Flash Lube" to help wear

2) carry out valve adjustment at (every?) 40k Miles - and overhaul the Cylinder Head at 80k Miles - this may not be needed if "Flash Lube" is used (not sure how well the translation worked on that part?)

3) Keep a more careful eye on things then running on just petroil would require.

Hi Hoovie,

I am glad you got the right translation link. It is not perfect, but it helps. The rest can be guessed

Point 2 should maybe better be read like this:

carry out valve control (a simple intervention of one hour) every 25k km = 17k miles. This is for example requested by my LPG manufacturerer, BRC, for any car! Chances exist that a valve adjustment is needed from 40k Miles on. More likely double that in the UK, for drivers using LPG to minimise fuel costs, with the driving style this implies. Overhaul of the cylinder head may be needed from 80k Miles on, but probably never in most cases. It is recommended for drivers using the car for very large mileages at higher speeds. In that case, it may be worthwhile to buy a diesel (why not the Clean Power D-Cat ?). Or look for a another car make which has no valve seat recession problem.

Flash Lube should be installed with the best effort to assure all cylinders get well lubricated. This is more difficult then it looks like. It is the major weakness of the product. The experience of the german Rav4 driver tends to show the effectiveness of that product, which is controversed. Flash Lube will bring a new electronic valve saver kit on the european market from next July on. Other ones will appear.

http://www.flashlube-europe.com/en/product...-saver-kit.html

Price not yet communicated.

Many people just want to keep their Toyota, and do not want to consider buying a Diesel. Like me... I have to accept the risk, assume my decision, and do everything to keep my car in good shape: driving style, keeping an eye on things one would not consider driving on normal fuel. Work together with an LPG installer for the complete car serviceing is an additional precaution I have been taking. I hope this will contribute to keeping everything straigth and running a very, very, very long time. Like you expect from a Toyota!

Hope this helps you with taking your own decision ! I'm looking forward to hear about that.

Jan ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links