Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No Power
Toyota Owners Club - Toyota Forum > Toyota Forums > Rav 4 Club
Pages: 1, 2
boxa
hi everybody well im not sure where to start but here goes i recently downsized from a 3.0 prado to a rav 4 d4d 2004 i bought the rav of a friend who blew the turbo. ive now replaced the turbo and for some reason the car wont rev above 3000 and it smokes badly if i disconnect the turbo vacuum the car will rev freely but no turbo spool ive read about scv valves and was wondering if this rings any bells any help or advice would be appreciated
avensisd4d786
[quote name='boxa' timestamp='1355585238' post='1243843']
hi everybody well im not sure where to start but here goes i recently downsized from a 3.0 prado to a rav 4 d4d 2004 i bought the rav of a friend who blew the turbo. ive now replaced the turbo and for some reason the car wont rev above 3000 and it smokes badly if i disconnect the turbo vacuum the car will rev freely but no turbo spool ive read about scv valves and was wondering if this rings any bells any help or advice would be appreciated
[/quote]
sounds like scv's
change fuel filter
clean egr valve.
some guy last week soaked his scv valves in diesel overnight and it was ok for a while.
click on link below
[url="http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87986"]http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=87986[/url]
boxa
sorry forgot to say all filters done egr done
avensisd4d786
yeah i would check scv valves next, if they are required pm parts king(lindop toyota) on here, should be able to sort you out on a price.
I suggest you buy them from genuine toyota dealership for piece of mind. I think there are around £200
boxa
£260 to be exact im just nervous about spending that amount of money on a guess if i knew for sure i wouldnt mind
boxa
also forgot to say it had new scv valves fitted at toyota 2 years ago but the rav sat idle for over a year until i got it
avensisd4d786
[quote name='boxa' timestamp='1355591344' post='1243865']
£260 to be exact im just nervous about spending that amount of money on a guess if i knew for sure i wouldnt mind
[/quote]
[quote name='boxa' timestamp='1355592814' post='1243871']
also forgot to say it had new scv valves fitted at toyota 2 years ago but the rav sat idle for over a year until i got it
[/quote]

they have certainly gone up, click and read that link i posted a link did you read it?

like i said someone got them working after soaking them in diesel overnight.

please click on the below it will direct you to parts-king send him a message asking the price with your reg.

[url="http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showuser=34014"]http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showuser=34014[/url]
boxa
already done that
three5
Hi,
have you got access to an OBD code reader? It might give a bit more information and maybe reduce the risk in buying the SCVs.
boxa
yes ive got a d900 hand scanner but doesnt reall do a lot as ive no fault codes
boxa
ive also ordered an elm 327
boxa
i think if i can check fuel rail pressure it should confirm svc or not
boxa
anybody !!!
Mistermena
[quote name='boxa' timestamp='1355591344' post='1243865']
[/quote]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-D4D-Denso-Diesel-Pressure-Suction-Control-Valve-Kit-SCV-RAV4-Avensis-/130818487990?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4198518089544622593%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D130815036365%26"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-D4D-Denso-Diesel-Pressure-Suction-Control-Valve-Kit-SCV-RAV4-Avensis-/130818487990?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D4198518089544622593%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D130815036365%26[/url]
boxa
so do i just go for it and buy em !
boxa
ordered !
boxa
ok guys here goes ive now replaced scvs and theres no difference at all still wont rev above 3000 and chocking ive even dropped the exhaust jus in case of a blockage but its still the same seems like its starving of fuel im now out of ideas all sugestions will be gratefully appreciated
igormus
check with EGR as it looks you have contra pressure on the exhaust as one of possible issues
regards
boxa
can you explain ive removed egr and cleaned it
igormus
ok let's start again
you ve changed turbo ? why ? was this new turbo the same as previous one ?
EGR has been cleanned -- what was condition inside ?
do you have soot filter -- condition ?
Mistermena
[indent=1]Egr valve could be faulty?[/indent]
igormus
[quote name='boxa' timestamp='1355585238' post='1243843']
[/quote]

re turbo -- check if all vanes are well rotated, and check with vacuum impulse tube if it is clean inside.
boxa
ok firstly old turbo failed because oil filter failed the vains are rotating perfectly and theres lots of vacuum in pipe if you disconnect vacuum pipe from actuator the engine will rev freely above 3000 its only when the gains are activated it struggles
igormus
as vissible vacuum attachcment has VSV with el contacts
may be this VSV gices a wrong sugnal to ECU restricting revving up ?
boxa
dont understand el contacts
boxa
and how can i rule out egr valve I've no fault codes
igormus
if you can not rev above 3k then something restricts it -- what is condition of fuel filter ?
as to EGR - even though you have no code stored -- its stem might not reach two polar positions partly cover gases passing thru.
boxa
New fuel filter do you meen the egr is letting exhaust gas through to inlet manifold
CharlieFarlie
Long shot I know but I had a similar thing on an R1 motorcycle and it turned out to be an ECU related problem.. Of course the R1 has no turbo but it took a while to sort and it was when most things had been changed or checked that an ECU was robbed of another bike and it was that !
boxa
well has anybody else got any ideas cos im stumped ive spent a lot of money and need to get this sorted asap cmon guys think deep
anchorman
I got your pm. I don't know how far you have dug into the vsv but it is worth trying the WD40 in the inlets and giving it a shake trick. You can also try using a bit of tube to bypass it. It might result in it over boosting but it will put up a warning light if it does. Give it a try and see what happens.
boxa
hi ive checked the brown vsv no blockages and energises ok not sure what presure i should be getting from inlet manifold via tube but its certainly not a lot tried putting it directly to boost sensor but made no difference theres another vsv that controls the vacuum to turbo and the opens the v vains straight away it just wont rev when actuator opens vains i asume the black vsv is supposed to do this it just seems like not enough fuel
bothwell_buyer
Dunno know anything about yer oil burning engine. However, any problems we've had with our diesel trucks has been air intake problems/leaks.
I have a problem on number 2 petrol RAV when the turbo kicks in - above 3000rpm and we have traced it to a fault on 2 air intake hoses after the radiator was changed. Wear and tear on the hoses and a couple of faulty jubilee clips. Cos the interccoler is a bit fiddly, am leaving the fix until January. The head needs to come off as I blew the cylinder head gasket when the radiator went. Fun and games.
Number 1 is still hibernating.
boxa
cant see anything obvious what bugs me is no fault codes so im stumped dont know what to do next
igormus
ok please list all you ve already done.
sometimes a very simple things give you a head ache
boxa
ok here goes i bought the car already stripped down and the turbo removed all parts came with it and i had the turbo rebuilt ive now put it all back together and cant get it to rev smoothly with turbo connected to vacuum.if i remove the turbo vacuum it revs freeley ive replaced scv valves fuel filter cleaned and blanked egr. checked and sprayed vsv valve its when the vains engage it just seems like its strugling for something air/fuel ive taken the turbo of and had it checked by the guy who rebuilt it and he says it fine but it just wont spool up on the car for some reason.it does increase manifold pressure when vac is connected but just wont rev freely
boxa
ive also disconnected exhaust in case of a blockage but made no difference checked for air leaks on all pipes im just running out of ideas could it be the boost sensor as it doesnt make any difference if you disconnect air pipe from manifold or is it just for over boost ?
igormus
[quote name='boxa' timestamp='1356630991' post='1245797']
ok here goes i bought the car already stripped down and the turbo removed all parts came with it and i had the turbo rebuilt ive now put it all back together and cant get it to rev smoothly with turbo connected to vacuum.if i remove the turbo vacuum it revs freeley ive replaced scv valves fuel filter cleaned and blanked egr. checked and sprayed vsv valve its when the vains engage it just seems like its strugling for something air/fuel ive taken the turbo of and had it checked by the guy who rebuilt it and he says it fine but it just wont spool up on the car for some reason.it does increase manifold pressure when vac is connected but just wont rev freely
[/quote]

it looks the turbo has been assembled incorrectly and the rottor is not responsive to your pedal
boxa
im sure the turbo is fine how can it not work
igormus
[quote name='boxa' timestamp='1356636738' post='1245833']
im sure the turbo is fine how can it not work
[/quote]

but i am not
when rpm of the rotor becomes less than designed depending on current load -- this brakes gas flow (!!!) giving no revving up to the definite level -- in your case it is 3k
you must to conside the engine unit as ONE including all partls attached to but not separate as turno is fine and engine is fine

undo turmo suction hose and check with rotor rotation + playing up in bearings. besides be sure the gaskets have been installed correctly to prevent partly covering of gas passing holes. besides -- vanes must be also responsible.
boxa
vains move freely no play in bearings its been rebuilt and i have the vrs readout to prove it spools
igormus
it means all is OK but still no joy
you ve checked + stripped / assembled everything but no result ---why
think about it matey
have you visitem MrT ? May be they know better than forum ?
Davrav
I have a vague recollection about incorrect connection of vacuum pipes - I believe it is possible to get them transposed.............
boxa
im beging to think it might be turbo boost sensor i can attach manifold presure pipe directly to it and it makes no differance would this stop turbo spooling ?
boxa
would i be right in assuming that the boost sensor sends signal to ecu and increases fueling and other stuff including vacuum to turbo actuator to engage or dissengage vains and this is why engine is struggling to rev freely
anchorman
It tells the VSV how much vac to apply to the turbo vac unit. Are you sure the link is free and if you apply some vacuum to the vac unit does it move the rod?
boxa
yes its all free turbo just been rebuilt actuator engages imediatlly when started and dissengages if you take vac of the problem is it revs freely without vac on turbo but strugles to rev with vac on and now im wondering if theres not enough boost in manifold ??
anchorman
reverted to pm's!
thewingedavenger
Has the CAT been cleaned out? Normally if a turbo fails large quanties of oil are blown past the turbo seals contaminating the CAT. If its been sitting around for a year before any attempt to repair, the CAT could be almost entirely blocked!
bothwell_buyer
[quote name='thewingedavenger' timestamp='1356942317' post='1246374']
Has the CAT been cleaned out? Normally if a turbo fails large quanties of oil are blown past the turbo seals contaminating the CAT. If its been sitting around for a year before any attempt to repair, the CAT could be almost entirely blocked!
[/quote]
that reminds me .. I did have one turbo fail (melted vanes) as the cat was partially blocked. Just kicked the cat out I believe.

Full Colour Version: No Power
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.