Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steaming Up Windows Again

donnyvfr

i have a 99 avensis and the problem is that whenever it rains the windows steam up inside the car, its ok when not raining. the quickest way to un-steam these is with the air con on!!! i have changed the cabin/pollen filter (both parts) and checked everywhere inside the car to see if any water leaks but its dry everywhere. anyone any ideas please

i have a 99 avensis and the problem is that whenever it rains the windows steam up inside the car, its ok when not raining. the quickest way to un-steam these is with the air con on!!! i have changed the cabin/pollen filter (both parts) and checked everywhere inside the car to see if any water leaks but its dry everywhere. anyone any ideas please

hi mate

this issue can be cured when you turn ON your climate with A/C switching ON simultaneously.

In other words the A/C must to have an air dried inside the salon.

Cheers/Igor

Until the Ford patent on electrically heated windscreens runs out, aircon+recirc off is the fastest way to clear a steamed up window...

If you can somehow dehumidify the interior of your car, that can help (Someone told me leaving a bowl of coffee or silica gel in the back seat can help but I'm not experimenting! :lol:)

make sure windows is clean on the inside, when dirty they thend to fog up quicker

dave

Both our old Corolla & our Verso mist up badly after using the air con. We find its usually a case of letting the mist clear without the AC & its usually ok afterwards. I put it down to condensation on the AC exchanger or something.

Dont use recirculation, no mist. simple.

Seconded - doublecheck that you have the ventilation set to fresh air/outside air intake and not on the closed recirculate position. It's odds on that's the problem.

Dont use recirculation, no mist. simple.

Seconded - doublecheck that you have the ventilation set to fresh air/outside air intake and not on the closed recirculate position. It's odds on that's the problem.

I agree with that too, I never us recirculate. Never had misted windows. Fresh is best!

hi mate

this issue can be cured when you turn ON your climate with A/C switching ON simultaneously.

Cheers/Igor

hi i have same issue, can you please clarify .... what do you mean by climate and what is the recirulation slider ? as in.. what side do i slide it to to quickly demist the windscreen with the ac on as its REALY dangerous! i was on the m9 it rained hard , i put my wipers on full speed, and AARRGGHH total mist, i could see nothing scary stuff.apart from that, great car,

Rob

• Like 1

On my car a 1998 CDX it is slider tthe right which the icon shows an arrow directing air fromoutside.

Glad I read this, I have a iQ & the windows fog up if more than one person in car (not doing rude things) :lol: so I will try with circ off now see if any better.

Jaine

Glad I read this, I have a iQ & the windows fog up if more than one person in car (not doing rude things) :lol: so I will try with circ off now see if any better.

Jaine

many thanks for the replies, i'll let you know how i get on next time i am out in the rain, all things noted and i do admit i usually have it on re circleate rather than fresh air so i will give it a go

If you have your air flow on recirculation and all your windows up the moisture from your warm breath will condense on the cold glass causing misting up of the windows. fresh air or A/C required to clear windows. :P

Fresh air with AC on is your best bet...

You could also try this

Anti-fog Gel

A company/product called "rainX anti-fog" is also available - think you can get it from Halfords -- but the anti-fog gel above is supposed to be better..

One of my other cars is a Ford Galaxy, 2001 model...that was bad for foging up on the side windows (main screen is heated) - this stuff helped!

Matt

hi mate

Cheers/Igor

hi i have same issue, can you please clarify .... what do you mean by climate and what is the recirulation slider ? as in.. what side do i slide it to to quickly demist the windscreen with the ac on as its REALY dangerous! i was on the m9 it rained hard , i put my wipers on full speed, and AARRGGHH total mist, i could see nothing scary stuff.apart from that, great car,

Rob

hello

normally cold air delivered dries a salon air preventing steaming on the windows. You can observe your home fridge internal space ---- the goods stotred got dried in case they are not covered either by plastic film or simple cover -- why -- because the cold air absorbes moisture. Even if you turn your climate unit in recirculation mode -- this helps more to have an air dried and preventing of steaming on the glass. Cheers/Igor

dries a salon air ?

sorry i dont understand.. what should i do to prevent the windscreen misting up when i put my wipers on full speed ?

please keep it simple :)

dries a salon air ?

sorry i dont understand.. what should i do to prevent the windscreen misting up when i put my wipers on full speed ?

hello

yes it definitely dies an air but inside the salon. i faced the ame problem in winter or late autumn. but when the A/C was switched ON (not only fan with warm heated air) the air becomes drier preventing misting up from the salon side. but the more air humidity the more misting up on the weather area of the windsscreen. Cheers

dries a salon air ?

it happened when the windscreen temp is less then an outside air and

you should adjust an inside temp higher that heats this windscreen from the salon and evaporate this moisture from outside.

cheers

dries a salon air ?

you should adjust an inside temp higher that heats this windscreen from the salon and evaporate this moisture from outside.

cheers

sorry i dont know what you mean by salon. heater ? ? anyway this does NOT work, meerly puting the heater and ac on only makes the mist worse.. anyone ?

well raining last night and tried the suggestions and still steams up so back to square one!!! going to check if any leaves etc in the vents later when the rain stops

May be a simple solution, make sure you'r windows are cleaned and dried with a chamois leather. If they are slightly greasy they will be more prone to steaming up.

As has already been mentioned though, make sure recirc is off. I've noticed that if you have had your air con on, when you switch the fans on it can steam up a bit until you put the air con back on. This (I think) is due to condesation that has built up.

Oh and by salon I think igoris referring to the cabin, ie inside the car.

• 3 months later...

This is my first Toyota, a 2004 Avensis in very good condition, fully valeted, but I've never had a car mist up so badly when it's cool or cold outside. (maybe it's what they used on the inside of the glass when valeting it that is causing the problem?)

It's dry as a bone inside, so that's not the problem and it's o'k when it's raining,

Even cheap old bangers with leaky seals, recirculate settings and dirty windows weren't anywhere near as bad as this. I can clear it by turning the a/c on or using higher blower settings than I like or am used to.

I mean it even mists up from breath on the windscreen, which is ridiculous for October evenings, A cold February morning - fair enough.

I take it, that as with the a/c button, recirculate is on when recirculate button light is on. (I have a/c, not climate control)

dries a salon air ?

cheers

sorry i dont know what you mean by salon. heater ? ? anyway this does NOT work, meerly puting the heater and ac on only makes the mist worse.. anyone ?

By salon your Ukrainian helpmate means CAR INTERIOR. Good explanation, Igor.....if us lazy Scots could only speak your language too, eh?

Best Regards,

Big Kev. B)

This is my first Toyota, a 2004 Avensis in very good condition, fully valeted, but I've never had a car mist up so badly when it's cool or cold outside. (maybe it's what they used on the inside of the glass when valeting it that is causing the problem?)

It's dry as a bone inside, so that's not the problem and it's OK when it's raining,

Even cheap old bangers with leaky seals, recirculate settings and dirty windows weren't anywhere near as bad as this. I can clear it by turning the a/c on or using higher blower settings than I like or am used to.

I mean it even mists up from breath on the windscreen, which is ridiculous for October evenings, A cold February morning - fair enough.

I take it, that as with the a/c button, recirculate is on when recirculate button light is on. (I have a/c, not climate control)

Hi, I also have recently purchased my first Toyota , an Avensis 55 plate diesel tourer.

Last week , now the weather is getting colder , I also found my car's interior heavily misted up after finishing work and had to run the engine until it cleared so I could see where i was going.

Today it misted up again whilst the sun was on it , and I left the rear windows open to clear it .This problem normally means - a water leak somewhere !!!!!!! -but as yet everything appears dry.

It does mist up if I have had the air-con on and then go back out again ,but I am talking about all the windows misting up whilst the car is parked.

I will keep you updated.

Regards.

My current car mists up inside.... so did my Land Cruiser and my 350Z and my Primeras. My wife's Prius does it as did her 4 Nissans :huh:

I simply think this is normal in certain weather conditions and whether the air conditioning has been used :unsure:

I don't think about it other than I turn on the air con and clear the screen.... simple :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links