Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Crunch

Noddy2

No its not the 1.8 gearbox (which is jap built) - its the french built 1.3 5-speed gearbox of around 2008 when they fitted a batch of selector shafts that were machined about half a mm too small. That allowed the synchromesh rings to have too much play on the shaft which stopped them doing their job properly.

Cheers, thats a relief, I'm a bit of an auto-hypochondriac :!Removed!: I did think until I read this thred that it was a little of the lazy left foot syndrome.

I did miss a page or two of this tread out last night, tierd.

Got my car's selector shaft fixed on Friday, did a fair bit of driving on Saturday. From cold in the morning, no more crunch from 1st to 2nd, and downshifts from 3rd have become smoother as well. All in all, I am glad for having this fix done. A friend had a go on it too and said it was very good to drive.

• 5 weeks later...

Hiya all Noddy2 back again starting to get cold again Reggie's(Crunchie's) gear change is still brilliant, had to have all new wheel nuts under the warrantee as they were very rusty cant get over how cheap the little car is to run still on the original tyres even, before this Yaris I had bigger cars and had to have new tyres most years on the Lexus the were a minimum of £150. each.

Hope you are all ok and your gear canges are still good.

It is only 32 sleeps till Christmas......

Hello, my (new to me) Yaris had a crunch on the second gear (going into or coming down even when the car is warm).

The technician agrees and has ordered the part that will take a few days to arrive.

• 2 weeks later...

No its not the 1.8 gearbox (which is jap built) - its the french built 1.3 5-speed gearbox of around 2008 when they fitted a batch of selector shafts that were machined about half a mm too small. That allowed the synchromesh rings to have too much play on the shaft which stopped them doing their job properly.

Cheers, thats a relief, I'm a bit of an auto-hypochondriac :!Removed!: I did think until I read this thred that it was a little of the lazy left foot syndrome.

I did miss a page or two of this tread out last night, tierd.

Mine is a late 2009 T-Sport with the 6 speed gearbox and some times ( not alway,s ) it crunch in to second gear ( up and down ) but when i doubble clutch its fine

I have a second hand 08 SR (my first car) and I have a bit of trouble with 1st and 2nd - I assumed it was me and have been expecting it to get better as I got used to it. But I've had it a couple of months now and it hasn't really changed.

Sounds like it would be well worth getting it looked at while it's still got a few months left on its warranty - it's got a couple of rusty wheel nuts too, so I may as well get those done too :D

I didn't get it from a Toyota dealership, but from what's been said, any should be able to sort me out.

Top thread!

• 2 months later...

Hello everybody...

I know that this is not the place to put my problem, but still...

i have Aygo with the same problem to this one... unsure.gif can this kind of modification be suggested for 2007 Aygo... blink.gif

thanks for any reply... smile.gif

I had our 2008 1.3TR in the garage on Friday to have the fix done before it came out of it's warranty. New control arm and selector shaft fitted. It's working well now :thumbsup:

I don't know if it is an Aygo fix, but it should be worth talking to your car dealer. It won't be cheap though as the parts alone on the Yaris came to around £300, then about 1.5 hours to fit I guess.

No-one on this forum has even mentioned an issue with the 1.0 gearbox - or even the 2007 1.3 gearbox. I'm not saying that you haven't got a problem, but I'd be surprised if there was a widespread issue with the 1.0 gearbox if its not been discussed here already....

The only issue that's been raised here was with the 2008 1.3 gearbox where one batch of selector shafts were machined 0.5mm too small allowing the syncro gears too much movement.

So I'd be surprised if its the same issue. Why don't you have a word with your dealer to see if there is a "Toyota Service Bulletin" for your problem? Even if the car is out of warranty, at least you'd know if there was a known issue or not and you could decide whether to spend the money to fix it.

If there isn't a Toyota Service Bulletin for the Aygo - get them to look up the TSB for the 2008 Yaris and see if it applies to the 1.0 engine or just the 1.3....

Thank you for the replies...

i have been looking up my problem on toyota / peugeot / citroen forums and found some answers, but not a solution...

my dealer already did some repairs which didn't solve the problem...

my aygo is at the dealer now and i'm expecting a call tomorrow to discuss the issue... wacko.gif

i'm preparing my self to have facts to argue with them, as i feel that they will try to convince me that the way my gearbox is working is normal... censored.gif

again thanks for the replies... thumbsup.gif

• 1 year later...

hi there,

ex-alfa owner with new baby so girlfriend told me to buy a car that would actually start here.

sorry to drag this back onto everyone's radars, but i bought a 3 year old yaris, 1.33 TR, 6 speed with stop-start, last week. it's high mileage, 90k, so it's outside warranty.

i am having exactly the problems described here. i took the car to Hill Toyota, in Woodford, and they said that i need to change the gearbox oil and adjust the gear cables. i mentioned the gear selector mechanism repair talked about here, and they'd never heard of it.

could anyone tell me:

- has this problem affected the 2009 cars, or only the older cars;

- would the fix they've suggested sort out the problem or do i need to insist on the repair recommended here;

- does anyone have a code or anything else that will help me direct this dealer to the correct procedure;

- has anyone had a dealership do the recommended repair even if the car's out of warranty, on goodwill?

appreciate any advice you can give.

thanks.

All Yaris gearboxes suck, they have done from day one.

Double clutch into first and take it slow with other changes.. Change your gear oil at recommended intervals. Enjoy life.

Double clutch into first and take it slow with other changes.. Change your gear oil at recommended intervals. Enjoy life.

I've had 3 Yarises and none of those gearboxes gave me any bother. So all Yaris gearboxes don't suck. :)

Two Yarises here: perfect gearboxes (and drivers? :-)

I've had 3 Yarises and none of those gearboxes gave me any bother. So all Yaris gearboxes don't suck. :)

Oh.. Maybe its the -20C winter weather that gives my gearbox hell lol

• 4 months later...

I have a59 reg 6 speed yaris bought 5 months ago with all the same problems as the discussed 08 boxes. Can anyone tell me is this the same box? does the same fix apply or is there a fix for this box I am going through all the same things as others with my dealer . Monday will be their second look at the problem and they are suggesting changing the oil this time.I asked if this is a common gearbox fault and was promptly lied to and told that it was not. I cannot imagine that any one test driving a yaris in winter would ever buy one, I certainly would not.

I'm glad toyota are at last sorting some problem gearboxes out. The modified gear selector for my MK1 1.0 didn't make much difference.

I tried several different GL5 gear oils which made the gearbox much worse. I eventually changed to Redline MTL which is a 70w-80 GL4 synthetic. This made a big difference.

e-bay turned out to be the cheapest source of the MTL.

Mark

• 6 months later...

Very lickly its the cables (there are 2) if someone put grease or oil in the cable sleave then this would cause a stiff change. graphite should be used or replace the cables and dont lubricate at all. "just a sugestion, something else to try"

• 1 month later...

Have got a brand new yaris sr with the 6speed manual gearbox. Shifting into 1st gear is like shifting with a gearbox filled with concret. Local toyota dealer is saying that this will eventually sort itself out. Car has only 500 miles and problem is still there. I have also got a new VW polo, it's gear change is as smooth as silk. Does anyone has the same problem?

• 3 months later...

I have a 2013 Yaris 6 speed manual that suffers from the same issue and to date not had a solution.

I'm on my second 1.33 Auris which uses the same engine and gearbox - my current car being about 13 months old. No issues with either car.

2012 6 speed Yaris here and no gearbox crunch. Nice and smooth :)

Now,after 1000 miles, shifting into 1st gear is getting smoother, but still no comparison with the Polo gear change.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links