Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gearbox Crunch

Noddy2

My 10 year old Yaris has a lovely smooth change as does son's 11 year old one..

Mine's pretty notchy when it's cold but smooths out when the car warms up.

Does anyone know what the correct gearbox oil for a Mk1 D4D out of curiosity?

SAE75W-90, API GL-4 or GL-5

I changed mine and used fully synthetic I used Castrol SMS-X..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Noddy2.

I have read recently on some website that if you work the gears up and down for a few seconds before firing up the engine,that can actually help. Alternatively I've also discovered that Toyota can actually reprogramme your gearbox.

I even read within the last week or so, that the modern car is not so much a computer on wheels but about 30 computers on wheels!

There is a computer which runs your gears. If all else fails, Toyota may need reset/reprogramme that computer.

Hope this helps.

Hi All.

I have a suggestion. First things first however. What I'm going to tell you guys is that this is just something I picked up elsewhere on another website, so I can't tell you whether it will work or not. I am NOT a mechanic and I've never professed to being one.

Right then here we go. I've been reading that the problem is not the gearbox itself but the oil that Toyota uses.

Evidently it is too viscous and as a result makes using the gears harder in cold weather, because it goes like treacle.Once the engine is warm, many people say it's a lot better. Try an oil with a thinner viscosity.

I read a few days ago that synthetics are supposed to work well in many cases.

Now I repeat. This is only what I've read I cannot be held responsible if you try it and it doesn't work.

I don't know if you guys and gals know it, but the engines for the Auris and Yaris are now made in Wales at the Deeside plant.

They've just started making the hybrid. The only facility outside Japan to build it. I've only just found this out.

It will either delight you or horrify you. lol.

• 8 months later...

Hiya all I still have Reggie, the gearbox has not been any trouble since it was changed. So I believe the moral of all this is if you don't think you got what you bought perseverance until you are satisfied most dealer want to keep their customers happy. Reggie has only done 35000 miles and we still love him and wouldn't change him as he does everything I want him to. Altho I now hav a mk2 MX5 for a toy. I haven't been on this sight for a bit just checking in take it easy Noddy2.

• 5 months later...

Yaris TS 1.3 VVti, Crunchy 2nd gear and difficult to engage 1st and 2nd gear.

I have bought this car a few months ago with 28K on the clock, and like many of you have the same problems with the gear box. After a lot of arguments with the dealer, I managed to have a new clutch and a new 2nd gear synchro replaced. But the gearbox issues remain the same, crunches trying to engage the 2nd gear, although not always as before, and when cold difficult to engage 1st and 2nd gear.

The dealer is at a loss of what to do next (not a Toyota main dealer). I was so happy when you guys identified a possible fix, ie change of "Gear selector Parts", so I rang my main dealer asking for the modified parts. They do not seem to know what I am talking about. Could one of you perhaps publish the TOTSS Bulletin number, or event the bulletin itself that identifies the problem and provides a fix? That would be really useful and I can wave it in front of them and get the parts.

Just an additional question, does the gearbox needs to come off the car, or the parts can be installed with the g/box still in the car.

This issue has been so frustrating, and I never expected a company such Toyota to have such an issue.

Anyway apologies for the rant, and thank you all very much for your contributions.

Zorgef

I can only tell it as I see it. I've never

had a problem with mine. I have a 2011 Yaris TSpirit and it ,s the best car I've ever had.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this very old thread as my daughter is experiencing similar problems as described above with her 2003 registered Yaris, which has 130,000 miles on the clock.  My first thought (before looking on here) was that it was a clutch problem, probably on the way out so no economically viable to fix.  Given the age of her car, would my suspicions be on the right lines?  She lives about 180 miles away, is a student and isn't planning on driving down our way soon.  Even when she does, I'm a bit concerned it might fail her on the M1 as she travels!

• 5 months later...

I know this topic is old but someone please help, we have bought a 07 plate yaris 1.3 zinc. Gears crunch from 1st to second gear. (Worse when cold) after reading this topic I rang toyota to be told it was only on the 6 gear model? What can we do? I don't wanna spend £££ replacing the syncros after reading other posts to hear that didn't even fix the problem. Thank you.

My car does this too - initially I thought it was air in the clutch hydraulics, causing clutch drag, as the biting point is very near the bottom of the pedal travel, and I only have to bring the clutch up from the carpet by a couple of inches before the car starts to engage drive. Unless the clutch pedal is firmly planted into the carpet every time I change gear, the gears will baulk and be difficult to engage, and this cane be better or worse dependent on the prevailing weather and temperature. In the end after a lot of reading, I found that many of the early mk2 yaris models with 5 speed boxes suffered with a form of clutch drag, where the clutch plate does not always fully disengage with the flywheel, its only very slight, but enough to make the gears a bit harder to get. The only solution I find is to always ensure that my foot presses the clutch fully into the carpet every gear change, and change from 1st to second nice and slowly - it helps if I allow the engine revs to drop by 500rpm or so, before trying to get the lever into 2nd gear - to manually synchronise the gearbox speed to the engine speed when changing, but usually this is not necessary, just allow a second between pulling it out of 1st and trying to engage second gear - this usually allows the engine speed to drop enough to help the gear slip in. I'm afraid this seems to be a "feature" of the car, and I just have to live with it. Its almost as if the clutch slave cylinder doesn't quite push the clutch release mechanism far enough to give a good separation between clutch plate and flywheel, so no matter how many clutches or gearboxes are fitted, the problem will remain, as the actual part that does the clutch release action is not quite designed right.

• 3 years later...

old thread - i've greased the linkages and this has smoothed the gearchange somewhat but the dealer doesn't seem to understand the new shift weight requirement, even though a part number was offered.  Any thoughts?