Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox Crunch

Noddy2

Well Folks, i give up on this !..

I have contacted Toyota customer care to be told, that there is no mod that applies to my car, and it only for the latest shape Yaris.

But my Yaris is the latest shape, a 2006 1.3 T Spirit 1.3 petrol !...

I really get very fed-up being told there is nothing wrong with my car, when i all along there is a problem.

On many issues i have had to be so persistant, and i still have problems i have had with the car from new that have never been fixed.

Absolutely hopeless !..

Techy

Did you contact "Customer Care" at TGB. or your local Toyota Dealership?

If you have an alternative Toyota Dealership within range of were you live, you might like to give them a try, you may receive a different reply.

the work can be carried out by any Toyota Reg. Dealership. it does not need to be the Dealership that Supplied you with the Car.

has your 3yr Warranty expired? (you also might like to refer to the advice I was given by "goodison" in an earlier thread in this posting)

Don't give in, Contact a few Toyota Service Depts. = I contacted Two dealerships local to me, one had read of the reported Fix, where as the other had not.

Best Wishes & Good Luck with your Quest

How do you fancy a trip to Blackpool for your holidays?

Well Folks, i give up on this !..

I have contacted Toyota customer care to be told, that there is no mod that applies to my car, and it only for the latest shape Yaris.

But my Yaris is the latest shape, a 2006 1.3 T Spirit 1.3 petrol !...

I really get very fed-up being told there is nothing wrong with my car, when i all along there is a problem.

On many issues i have had to be so persistant, and i still have problems i have had with the car from new that have never been fixed.

Absolutely hopeless !..

Techy

Did you contact "Customer Care" at TGB. or your local Toyota Dealership?

If you have an alternative Toyota Dealership within range of were you live, you might like to give them a try, you may receive a different reply.

the work can be carried out by any Toyota Reg. Dealership. it does not need to be the Dealership that Supplied you with the Car.

has your 3yr Warranty expired? (you also might like to refer to the advice I was given by "goodison" in an earlier thread in this posting)

Don't give in, Contact a few Toyota Service Depts. = I contacted Two dealerships local to me, one had read of the reported Fix, where as the other had not.

Best Wishes & Good Luck with your Quest

Hi, again Techy,

I have taken the liberty of copying over the advice from Post 46 by "Goodison" as I aforementioned. =

"Hi Sisaven, If you ask your dealership to read the TOTSS they will see the buletin on these gearboxes, they are suppose to read these bulletins daily. Its a bit silly you going in there being more informed than themselves. the mk1 yaris is NOT even mentioned in this bulletin, hope this helps"

In My Case,This information on the TOTSS Bulletin of Aug 2009 gave the Service manager, the Gen he required to Order the Modified Parts that are now available for this particular gearbox Selector Fix.

Hope this addendum is of some help, Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello peoples me again the out come so far is that they wont sanction a new gear box untill another person in our area (funny enough someone I know) who has the dredded crunch has had the mod done to see if it fixes hers if so I get the ok for the new box if not we will go from there I was told by the dealer manager.

Keep you posted Noddy2

Hi,

Just read through all the pages on this thread with interest. Before I brace myself to contact my dealer does anyone know if this mod is only for the petrol engines?

I've got a 2008 SR diesel and have often thought that the change from 1st to 2nd could be a lot smoother than it is. Didn't think too much of it though (until reading this thread) since this is the first diesel car I've owned.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello peoples me again the out come so far is that they wont sanction a new gear box untill another person in our area (funny enough someone I know) who has the dredded crunch has had the mod done to see if it fixes hers if so I get the ok for the new box if not we will go from there I was told by the dealer manager.

Keep you posted Noddy2

Hi, again "Noddy2"

Has "Crunchy" had his Replacement Surgery Yet, or is he still on the waiting list?

QUOTE (Noddy2 @ Oct 27 2009, 08:22 PM) *

Keep you posted Noddy2

Hi, again "Noddy2"

Has "Crunchy" had his Replacement Surgery Yet, or is he still on the waiting list?

Hiya there Crunchy has had the modded gear selectors which has greatly improved the gearchange but it didn't fix it as much as you guy's & galls have been saying but now the lady who has the same problem but has not had her gearbox stripped has now had the mod done. The manager I am dealing with has been away but he is back tomorrow so I will be on the phone to see if she is happy cause then (if she is) I can get a replacement box sanctioned as it is then a fault with the Gearbox or the way they first stripped reassembled and made worse.

Keep you all up to date Noddy2.

Got hold of the manager blokey asked the outcome of the other ladies modded gearbox he was under the impression that it was ok so he is going to re apply for a new box for Crunchy he will contact me next week to keep me up to date. Not given up hope yet !!

Crunchy booked in for the 17th December they want him for about 3 days cause they have to strip the box photo the damage to warant the gearbox being cheaper than replacement of bits Manager Blokey doesn't think there will be a problem. only had to wait till 17th cause thats the soonest the have a car for Mrs Noddy2 and me for that amount of time. Whilst Crunchy is under pre opp inspection.

Good luck on the 17th....

It's still a real joy to take ours out now its fixed. It goes up and down the box into every gear, like a hot knife through butter... It even goes straight into 1st easily when your still moving at walking pace approacing a junction - even better than our Japanese 2000 model did..... Its a real pleasure to use the gearbox - even more so knowing what it ws like before...

No 1 daughter was over for the weekend last week and I really noticed the difference taking her unmodified car out. Hers is booked into our local dealers to be modified when she's over between Xmas and New Year....

May I also add my Best Wishes for "Crunchy's" long awaited Surgery on the 17th of this month.

My experience of the gear selection after the Mod. is similar to "alfiejts" above except I still have a slight resistance to engage 2nd gear when cold, eg Pre, Modification it's engagement was difficult by a factor of 8, and after the Mod. its a factor of 3, but all other gear selections are as smooth as silk.

I am very pleased with the Modified Selector Mechanism.

Cant wait for "Crunchy's" Renaming Ceremony >>>>>>>>> GOOD LUCK

I've been reading this thread with interest and for the life of me i cannot understand why Toyota won't admit to a possible fault on these gearboxes.

Why don't they do the decent thing and recall all of them to do the modification which they all seem to need??

I just could not deal with buying a new car and having this outdated problem, i mean it's a brand new car that's cost millions of whatever currency to design and manufacture and they mess up on a massive but simple thing of getting the gearbox right!

Other car firms seem to get it right, i drove a brand new Honda Jazz last week as a courtesy car and it was absolutely fabulous, gearbox like silk.

My own 9yr old Jappie has a great box, yeah it shudders a bit when damp but i can live with that, it's 9yrs old...But this problem on a brand spanker? Hell no, i would take it back and demand a new gearbox or i would see my solicitor.

Toyota surely must admit there's a serious problem with them.

Here's hoping. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Crunchy has been in for his surgery !! picked him up this morning it was very cold and had to de ice the poor little chap.

Yippy had a new gearbox fitted only drove for a short trip the Dealer wants me to contact them either way to let them know if its to my satisfaction or not.

Looks like the re-nameing will be going ahead :yahoo::yahoo:

Crunchy has been in for his surgery !! picked him up this morning it was very cold and had to de ice the poor little chap.

Yippy had a new gearbox fitted only drove for a short trip the Dealer wants me to contact them either way to let them know if its to my satisfaction or not.

Looks like the re-nameing will be going ahead :yahoo::yahoo:

Congratulations, "Noddy2" = hope you don't dent it when you crack the bottle of Bollinger over the bonnet.

I think you have realised a New Name in your post above when "Crunchy" turned to "Yippy"

Best Wishes and have A YIPPY CHRISTMAS. ........... Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughters Yaris went in yesterday for its gearbox modification.

It was crunching like mad in the freezing weather on the way in and came away soooo much sweeter.

On first impressions, its fixed the problem completely. another success and thanks again to those on this forum who helped get the issue resolved and made us aware of the modification.

That said, the clutch seems a lot heavier than it did before - but it must be psycological as they've been nowhere near the clutch when modifying the gearbox....

Wierdly I found the clutch much less grabby on a 59 plate 1.33 compared to a 58 plate SR. I would have thought that the clutcheswould not have altered too much, the older car only had about 8000 miles on it.

I suspect they completely redesigned the flywheel and clutch to suit the new 6-speed gearbox and the in-built stop-start system. These systems usually involved integrating the flywheel and starter motor into one unit, as a normal external starter motor isn't designed to work in such a way...

Have tested Reggie (yes Mrs Noddy2 got her way) now for a couple of weeks and the gearchange is still spot on.

Also I have been lucky enough to get an Ipc 107p ipod cable off of eBay for a good price so I will soon be wired for sound when I get around to fetting it.

Mind you he will still be Crunchy in my eyes a bit like people are still called Ginge when their hair has gone White..

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

Noddy2

• 9 months later...

Hello,

Not sure if I should be reviving this thread but it's the same issue being discussed, crunchiness going from 1st to 2nd on my 2008 TR which I bought 3 weeks back.

Left my car at Turners Toyota overnight yesterday evening for them to check the issue, and they have phoned me back today saying they have ordered a new selector shaft for it, sounds like the fix mentioned in earlier posts. I can have the car back for a few days and it will go back in for its 'surgery' once they receive the parts.

It is thanks to this discussion thread that I know Toyota can fix this, and hopefully it will become even more pleasurable to drive after that :)

Nice to see that this thread is still having benefits...

Probably a good move to bring it up again, as there will be a lot of people who've bought 2008 cars second-hand who may not have seen this and whilst their cars are still just under warranty, could benefit....

Definately for the 2008 Yaris.

Just been rung back by my local dealer. The bulletin only came out on 14th August. Its specifically for the later Yaris. They're doing their first tomorrow and are ordering in the parts for my car so that they can do it when it goes in for service on 2nd October.

My very nice lady said its similar to the fix for the Mk1 Yaris, bu tthis is definately a new one for the later models, as goodison says.

And she confirmed that its a 1.3 hour job, although she's booking me a courtesy car, as they can't promise to do it that quick with it being a new thing for them to learn to do...

Hi, same issue on mine, I thought it was just toyota boxes being unforiving as my old Mk 3 MR2 was similar. except mine crunches a little between 2nd and 3rd.

Is it the 1.8 box your having issues with?

If so what mrT garage are you using in Lancs as i would like to see how they do for reference.

Also, is this an after warranty jobby or would I have to pay?

cheers.

Nice to see that this thread is still having benefits...

Probably a good move to bring it up again, as there will be a lot of people who've bought 2008 cars second-hand who may not have seen this and whilst their cars are still just under warranty, could benefit....

Indeed, I had not thought of that even though I am one of those second hand buyers. The Google search for 'Yaris gearbox crunch' does bring up this thread in the first page of results though :)

My Yaris is going in for its new selector shaft on Friday morning. Oddly they said it would take the day to do when the posts here say it's just over an hour's work.

No its not the 1.8 gearbox (which is jap built) - its the french built 1.3 5-speed gearbox of around 2008 when they fitted a batch of selector shafts that were machined about half a mm too small. That allowed the synchromesh rings to have too much play on the shaft which stopped them doing their job properly.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links