Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensisi Bad Idling - Stalls At Junctions

mark.wallace@mawallace1.d

My Avenis (2.0 Vtti) has done 112,000 miles and over the past six months has become irratic when idling.

Ussually, when the engine is warm, and you are stationery, it will idle fine - other days though it is much differeent.

Watching the rev meter the revs will drop to about the 100rpm mark (so it nearly stalls)- then the engine will rev to 2,000rpm, and gradually drop back to 100rpm - and the cycle starts over again - people must think I am reving for the sake of it!

Now it is getting worse - the engine will stall as soon as you come to a stop - very good when you are half way round a roundabout!

The Toytoa garage wants £500 just to look at it - something about inepsecting the internals of the engine - and told me that it may need a new engine - which at 112,000 is a bit odd! they claim it a known issue!

My local garage (indpendnet) told me that he has seen this problem on an Aveniis before - and that filling up with Redex solved it.

so a few questions

a. How often should I put Redex in my car? Every fill up?

b. does Redex do any harm?

c. anyone else had similar problems?

the new engine quote is a worry, i just purchased a 117k 1.8 and im noticing slightly erratic idle as well, if this is a known fualt it may be the reason the previous owner sold the car on, just guessing i could be wrong, i would definately be interested in more info on this though ,

as for redex i cant see how that can help, eratic idle i thought is down to bad air flow or air flow readings . i definately would not put redex in my engine every fill up,

My Avenis (2.0 Vtti) has done 112,000 miles and over the past six months has become irratic when idling.

Ussually, when the engine is warm, and you are stationery, it will idle fine - other days though it is much differeent.

Watching the rev meter the revs will drop to about the 100rpm mark (so it nearly stalls)- then the engine will rev to 2,000rpm, and gradually drop back to 100rpm - and the cycle starts over again - people must think I am reving for the sake of it!

Now it is getting worse - the engine will stall as soon as you come to a stop - very good when you are half way round a roundabout!

The Toytoa garage wants £500 just to look at it - something about inepsecting the internals of the engine - and told me that it may need a new engine - which at 112,000 is a bit odd! they claim it a known issue!

My local garage (indpendnet) told me that he has seen this problem on an Aveniis before - and that filling up with Redex solved it.

so a few questions

Hi Mark, the first question i would ask is when did the car have it's last full service? The cause of your problem could be many things ie an air leak, electrical/electronics, fuel system, a sensor playing up etc but surely the garage could do a full service first then look for the problem if it has not then been cured. Being it trade all my life i am getting very worried by a lot of comments by dealers wanting to rip people off like this ... how can they say the engine is knackered without investigation ..... and £500 just to take a look!!!! Is the drop in car sales driving the dealers to look elsewhere for revenue?

Redex additive should be ok as long as you follow the instructions.

My instinct with your problem (providing it has been correctly serviced recently) is the throttle body sticking (which can be cleaned) or an intermittent fault with the air mass sensor.

Best of luck in resolving it anyway mate regards Pete.

reckon my car heard me, just used it to hit a local shop, i had a start idle speed of 1200rpm which its not done before and for the second time when pulling up the brake pedal went loose with a click sound and grinding noise, it did this yesterday as well,

im really thinking i need to call the dealer i got this from and start shouting,

I think that your dealer is pulling a fast one. There is something wrong with the control system(engine management due to faulty sensor feedback, dirty fuelfilter etc) for the engine causing it to misbehave rather than needing a new engine. While I am not saying nothing is wrong with your engine I would look at other bits first, or try another few dealers or even an independant garage with a good reputation.

so a few questions

a. Whenever you fancy really.

b. Not unless you put far too much in.

c. No. (not with the Avensis but yes with other vehicles)

Redex is an upper cylinder lubricant, works a bit like a two stroke engines oil system. Oil (redex) is deposited from the fuel onto any surface it comes into contact with, primarily it's to lubricate valve stems etc. (upper cylinder)

Your problem sounds to me to be a sticky auxilliary air valve (or air by pass valve,or whatever you like to call it).

Mine does this, has done for the last two years. I've just lived with it. It most prone to doing it if you've been on a journey, stopped the car and restarted it with say 5-10 minutes.

Never does it from cold, or before you turn the engine off while it's warm, only when restarting the engine while still warm.

• 2 weeks later...

My 53 auto, owned from new, did this after about a year and even after Toyota conned me into spending £700, it still had very low revs and stalled. After a fast, long journey I noticed it cured it for a short while though. After mentioning this to a local garage, he knew straight away what it was. Something to do with cleaning out the throttle housing or something similar. Charged me £100 and it ran perfectly. A year later, same problem, same cure.

My 53 auto, owned from new, did this after about a year and even after Toyota conned me into spending £700, it still had very low revs and stalled. After a fast, long journey I noticed it cured it for a short while though. After mentioning this to a local garage, he knew straight away what it was. Something to do with cleaning out the throttle housing or something similar. Charged me £100 and it ran perfectly. A year later, same problem, same cure.

That's what i suggested a couple of weeks ago Bertie, possible sticking throttle body, come on Mark keep us posted on how it was fixed if at all.

Regards Pete.

mark

i had the same problem with a vauxhall vectra, which ended up being a gummed up breather pipe, not sure if the avensis has one but if it does squeeze it and see if it sticky

i've had this problem with my avensis too..

i used carb cleaner in the air flow inlet to clean it out as advised by someone on here a few years ago.

it did the trick and now runs sweet

My 05 T.Spirit has recently begun to idle at 500 rpm. A visit to the local dealer produced no knowledge of a known fault with the Avensis tick over and cost me dear , to no avail . :(