Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strange Random Revving Problems On My Celica

kali man

Hi guys,

Iv been having this starnge problem for a little while now and has kind of developed to a wierd annoying revving problem which is costing me a bomb in petrol. its an old 89/90 Celica ST183 GTR. I think is has the 3sGE engine innit.

Basically what happens is, is that I could start the car, any time of th day, hot or cold, and normally it would be fine but as this problem is quite random, it could happen straight away or 5 mins into driving or might not do it at all sometimes, totally erratic. But what it would do is the revs would randomly just start creeping up to around 1500-2000 rpm. It would stay there sometimes for just a few seconds but has stayed liek that for several minutes also. It would also do it while im driving, causing the car to flood a bit sometimes, making it hard to drive. And it would smell of petrol abit to. So whether im idle or driving the engine will randomly just rev up. But then just randomly will go back to its normal position. On the odd rare occasion the ECU has also come on.

The first thing I did was clean the butterfly and that, and put back the orgianl air filter as I had performance one,I thought it mayh have somethign to do with the air intake, but unfortunatly is still doing the problem. But the interestign thing I discovered was, that a few days ago, the problem was gettign real bad, happening quite frequantly, and as I was looking around the engine bay, I realised that my radiator cap had corroded, and the pressure realease valve had snapped off. After replacing yesterday the problem is still there but not as bad, it seems to correct it self quicker and not rev up all the time. It might just be me, but it just seems like that.

Well If anyone has any ideas or something they thinkI could try to do to find out what it is, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance guys.

does the temp guage stay constant?

does the temp guage stay constant?

yea the tempereature gauge and cooling system seem all ok. Never overheats. Could this maybe indicate what it could be?

sometimes the thermostat breaks and jams open , when you drive, cool air cools an already cool engine and the "( auto choke )" kicks in . maybe worth a look , but if its ok i wont bother.

yea that makes sense, but as you say, since the temperature is ok, probably isnt connected to my issue but im still going to look anyways. But it does feel like a choke type of problem. Are there anyway of checking the choke on the car?

ecu controlled AFAIK

Aircon cutting in? ECU speeds tickover up

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

Iv been having this starnge problem for a little while now and has kind of developed to a wierd annoying revving problem which is costing me a bomb in petrol. its an old 89/90 Celica ST183 GTR. I think is has the 3sGE engine innit.

Basically what happens is, is that I could start the car, any time of th day, hot or cold, and normally it would be fine but as this problem is quite random, it could happen straight away or 5 mins into driving or might not do it at all sometimes, totally erratic. But what it would do is the revs would randomly just start creeping up to around 1500-2000 rpm. It would stay there sometimes for just a few seconds but has stayed liek that for several minutes also. It would also do it while im driving, causing the car to flood a bit sometimes, making it hard to drive. And it would smell of petrol abit to. So whether im idle or driving the engine will randomly just rev up. But then just randomly will go back to its normal position. On the odd rare occasion the ECU has also come on.

The first thing I did was clean the butterfly and that, and put back the orgianl air filter as I had performance one,I thought it mayh have somethign to do with the air intake, but unfortunatly is still doing the problem. But the interestign thing I discovered was, that a few days ago, the problem was gettign real bad, happening quite frequantly, and as I was looking around the engine bay, I realised that my radiator cap had corroded, and the pressure realease valve had snapped off. After replacing yesterday the problem is still there but not as bad, it seems to correct it self quicker and not rev up all the time. It might just be me, but it just seems like that.

Well If anyone has any ideas or something they thinkI could try to do to find out what it is, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance guys.

I had the same problem in my corolla fxgt, it might be loosing compression. take the car to a mechanics and ask them why it is doing it.... May be a head gasket.

• 5 years later...

I have the same problem with my 1.6 vvti corolla *01. Except the described problem , At cold start it wont go in the warming up mode and hold like 1000-1500 rmp but it will struggle not to stall. The car is almost impossible to drive. I have tried to disconnect random sensors to see what changes, and every time i do that the results are different. My best guess is the VVT valve/sensor cus when i disconnected it and the Battery so the ecu restarts the car stops the over revving but i loose like 30% of the power and the fuel consumption goes up + the check engine is non stop on

P.S. I can no longer connect to the ecu with the obd2 readers last year i could connect but now it won't connect it has power but it says can't connect to ecu.

If any one can help me please it is driving me nuts