Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.33 Petrol Vs 1.4 Diesel

wharfstaff

When I visited our Toyota dealer with Mrs Wharfstaff to book her Aygo in for its first service I was so impressed with the service I said "my next car will be a Toyota".

I sat in an IQ - wow, this one had leather and it wa like sitting in a limo, until I turned round and knocked on the rear window, nice car though.

Next was the Auris, hmm, still nice.

Finally the Yaris, I couldn't believe how much room there was in the cabin. I went home and brought my golf clubs down to see if they would fit in the boot, no probs, then took a diesel out for a test drive. I have to wait until Friday to take out the 1.33 petrol.

Anyway, to the point, what experience has anyone had petrol vs diesel, I currently run a 1.9 derv Astra SRi so am used to smelly fuel ups and low down torque, will the petrol 1.33 be as good as the diesel? I have to wait until Friday to find out.

Not driven either but I don't see much point in small diesels... the rev happy lighter 1.33 would be a better town car but the diesels may be better on the motorway (but not in the same league as bigger modern 1.9d/2.0d/2.2d's). Not sure golf clubs would fit easily in an Auris so Yaris would be impossible.

You may need to go for Golf, Focus or Civic :!Removed!:

Not driven either but I don't see much point in small diesels... the rev happy lighter 1.33 would be a better town car but the diesels may be better on the motorway (but not in the same league as bigger modern 1.9d/2.0d/2.2d's). Not sure golf clubs would fit easily in an Auris so Yaris would be impossible.

I'm always intrigued how someone who says that they have driven neither car, can give advice as to which car would be more suitable?

As far as golf clubs go http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/lo...yota_yaris.html

I said they didn't fit and they don't without removing the parcel shelf.

You see I am looking for Yaris and it fails to fit my baby's buggy without the parcel shelf (but still looking to get one as a smaller second car).

Other advice is pretty general and you don't really need to drive the cars as modern cars in that range are extreemly similar.

"

Other advice is pretty general and you don't really need to drive the cars as modern cars in that range are extreemly similar."

I disagree vehemently with that comment.... as anyone who has driven a C3 then a Yaris will know...

Not had much experience with the newer Yaris' (Yarisses? Yari?); I do know that they're slightly bigger and heavier than the old ones, but the engines have been tweaked up a bit to compensate. Interior is a bit nicer than in the older one, and more spacious, and the rear seats are split.

With the older one, the diesel is (IMHO) the better of the two; You can drive it like a petrol car (albeit a noisy one! :lol:), but with the benefit of ludicrously good fuel economy.

My Yaris D4D is the first diesel car I've owned, and I gotta say I'm a convert; Don't think I could go back to driving a petrol car now! :lol:

I can be lazy with the gear changes because it'll go up or down almost anything in any gear due to the wide rev range and high torque, and it's so much more fun to blast down country roads where you'd normally have to down-shift in a petrol car. :D

The handling is not as nice as my old Fiesta; Steering wheel is too big and power steering is set up more for city driving (Slow manoeuvres much easier than the Fiesta tho'! ;)), but the engine is fantastically responsive for something so small, even on hills or when carrying a heavy load (e.g. airport runs!).

I'd say that is the most noticeable difference; Where I could feel my friend's 1.3 bog down noticeably going up a hill with 5 people and a full boot, on similar journey my D4D still responded instantly to the accelerator (Turbo loading ftw! :D) so I could snap-overtake lorries instead of getting stuck behind them at 50mph :lol:

One of the killer features of the Yaris has always been its storage flexibility; It has so many places you can put stuff, and the sliding rear seats mean you can adjust for passenger comfort or boot storage space with no effort. The newer Yaris' have 60/40 split independently sliding rear seats and they fold flat too! (I must admit I wish mine had that, but I wouldn't trade that feature for my sunroof :P)

When I visited our Toyota dealer with Mrs Wharfstaff to book her Aygo in for its first service I was so impressed with the service I said "my next car will be a Toyota".

I sat in an IQ - wow, this one had leather and it wa like sitting in a limo, until I turned round and knocked on the rear window, nice car though.

Finally the Yaris, I couldn't believe how much room there was in the cabin. I went home and brought my golf clubs down to see if they would fit in the boot, no probs, then took a diesel out for a test drive. I have to wait until Friday to take out the 1.33 petrol.

Anyway, to the point, what experience has anyone had petrol vs diesel, I currently run a 1.9 derv Astra SRi so am used to smelly fuel ups and low down torque, will the petrol 1.33 be as good as the diesel? I have to wait until Friday to find out.

Simple.....Drive them both and buy which one you like! :rolleyes:

I'm always intrigued how someone who says that they have driven neither car, can give advice as to which car would be more suitable?

As far as golf clubs go http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/lo...yota_yaris.html

And if he took out the little extra shelf at the bottom, explosing the hidden boot compartment, he'd never have needed to remove the parcel shelf I reckon :)

I said they didn't fit and they don't without removing the parcel shelf.

You see I am looking for Yaris and it fails to fit my baby's buggy without the parcel shelf (but still looking to get one as a smaller second car).

Other advice is pretty general and you don't really need to drive the cars as modern cars in that range are extreemly similar.

So that would mean as I've driven a VW Golf, I'm perfectly able to advise people about which model Auris they should buy? I'm sorry but to me that makes no sense what so ever!

I'd like to be able to advise Mr Wharfstaff but I've only driven the Yaris Diesel (the one I've had for nearly 2 years) which will be different to the facelift one he drove. All I can say is that I really like my Yaris D4D and would recommend them to anyone.

Hi

I drove both but I chose the diesel one. I think it's a fantastic and strong car, great in motorways. The only problem I noticed I found it's a little noisy on the motorway during some revs but now I' m used to it and like it.

Before you buy it drive both in the road, town and motorway, to choose the better one for you.

Anyway diesel is more espensive, but if you drive lots of miles per day or month is the better choice, :rolleyes: if not and if you like the 1.33 buy that one.

Is up to you . Good luck :rolleyes:

I drove both as well: bought th diesel.

Far more restful around town...

Ive got a 58 plate 1.3 (not 1.33), and i preffered it to the diesel, did the sums and woked out that the extra expense of the diesel would take a silly number of miles to re-coup. Getting 49MPG out of it now its run in vs 54 claimed by Toyota which is pretty good for a petrol, so on the assumption that the new one is more economical i would say go for the petrol unless you really must have a diesel, or you do alot of miles.

Ive got a 58 plate 1.3 (not 1.33), and i preffered it to the diesel, did the sums and woked out that the extra expense of the diesel would take a silly number of miles to re-coup. Getting 49MPG out of it now its run in vs 54 claimed by Toyota which is pretty good for a petrol, so on the assumption that the new one is more economical i would say go for the petrol unless you really must have a diesel, or you do alot of miles.

Fair enough if you prefer the petrol to the diesel, but judging on fuel costs alone omits the biggest pain in the wallet: depreciation. Many diesels, not all though, keep their value better than petrol engines. The only estimate of total cost that I have seen, is in What Car. Gives cost over 3 years, in pence per mile, taking original cost, depreciation and running costs into account. In truth, there is often very little in it!

I think the TCO difference between a diesel vs a petrol is a lot smaller these days; The initial cost is higher but resell value is higher, servicing is cheaper, fuel costs are lower (Esp. now; Petrol is almost as expensive as diesel in many places!), tax is cheaper, insurance is usually cheaper, and if you're in it for the long-haul it the engine will last longer!

The main reason diesels sucked were that they were crap to drive due to poor handling and no power, they sound like vans, the emissions stank and caused cancer, costs were higher and they just weren't very cool.

In the past few years, most of those downsides have been reduced or eliminated (And modern diesels have turbos, so that automatically makes them cool, right??? :lol:), aside from the extra cost, and the advantages have only gotten better, so it's a good time to have a diesel :)

post-77490-1248598432_thumb.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I have got my brand new 1.33 Yaris 2009 T-Spirit last Friday - what I can tell from my experience is that it is quite powerful without the A/C on; with the A/C on it tends to lose some power sometimes but it is almost unnoticeable. I have not tested a diesel one before going for the petrol one in view of my budget. May be I will regret it later on!

You won’t regret it at all, no motorways in Malta so you don’t really need a diesel as your miles won’t be intergalactic!

Great number plate for a 1.33 Yaris with Variable Valve Timing :lol::thumbsup:

as for me...the new 1.33 is a better choice... dual vvti, ceramic coated piston (if im not mistaken), 55mpg, high revving engine... something i always dream of :rolleyes: nevertheless its always been ur choice man ;) like my friend always say, at the end of the day, we'll mod it :D

You won’t regret it at all, no motorways in Malta so you don’t really need a diesel as your miles won’t be intergalactic!

Great number plate for a 1.33 Yaris with Variable Valve Timing :lol::thumbsup:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks mate! I paid a little bit more for that number plate but it was worth it (without bribing anyone)! In fact I was quite surprised that it was still available until a week ago - obviously I snatched it immediately when knowing so! Yes, I think I agree with you that the petrol one is enough for small distances - I will not regret it as I like the car a lot - what a difference from my other car - the old Starlet XL 1.0; which however I don't want to scrap though - I still love that car as I can go anywhere without worrying that it will be scratched by some idiot.....and you don't forget the first love isn't it? Here in Malta there are people who love scratching new cars because of envy!

Thank you all for your comments :thumbsup:

The deal is now done and I will get my 1.33 TR 5 door in Decuma grey on 1st Sept.

I preferred the petrol to drive, despite owning a diesel at the moment. Particularly liked the stop/start feature and the six speed box. My own personal choice and I am not slagging off diesels :yucky:

I had a 1.33 SR for a test but unfortunately that model is not available to buy new any more. Just wait, Toyota will re-introduce it just like they did with the Aygo Black after my wife bought a Platinum because the Black had been discontinued.

post-77490-1248598432_thumb.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi. I have got my brand new 1.33 Yaris 2009 T-Spirit last Friday - what I can tell from my experience is that it is quite powerful without the A/C on; with the A/C on it tends to lose some power sometimes but it is almost unnoticeable. I have not tested a diesel one before going for the petrol one in view of my budget. May be I will regret it later on!

Fantastic number plate mate! :) I sat in exactly the model you have, in my local dealership. I loved the paint, but it still had the 15' rims and not alloys. Just didn't like the pastic smell inside from all the new equipment. It's really shiny though. And fantastic feel of the steering whell and gearshift lever.

• 2 months later...

We went to our local dealer to try a 58 plate 1.3 SR and a 58 plate d4d and found both of them a bit noisy on the motorway (where we do 90% of our driving). We then also drove the demo 1.33 TR and it was fantastic even though it had only 800 miles on the clock. IMO the refinement of the 1.33 was in a different league.

On our same test route we got 55mpg out of the d4d, 44 out of the 1.3 SR and 50 out of the 1.33.

We ordered a 1.33TR 5 door with a tech pack in red.

The 6th gear on the new 1.33 models is a real "overdrive" ratio and will do a lot to help refinement and fuel economy on the motorway.

I had a 1.33 courtesy car recently and could compare it directly to my 1.3SR.

Around town, the fuel economy of the two was very similar, however the new 6th gear on the 1.33 does about 27mph per 1000 rpm compared to about 22mph per 1000 rpm for fifth gear in my 1.3

Which means that at 70mph, the 1.33 is doing 2,600rpm whereas the 1.3 runs at 3,200rpm.

That is going to make a big difference to engine noise and economy at those speeds....

BUT - You can't get anything like the 2008 SR spec in the current Yaris range and 45 mpg economy is good enough for me...

I did consider the diesel at the time and worked out that I was going to have to do 60,000 miles just to break even on the extra purchase price of the diesel car - so it really wasn't worth the extra investment for us as a second car...

• 2 weeks later...

Had the 1.33 for a couple of days now and even though it has only 150 miles on the clock I can easily get over 50 mpg and that is when doing 70 on the motorway. I'll live with that as it should improve with a few more miles. On my commute, I find it as economical as our previous 1.0 Aygo, which for a car with 100hp I am more than happy with.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links