Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instrument Panel Fuses 4.3 Diesel

Davrav

Hello All,

Have discovered that I have no heat available when AC on [wouldn't have noticed until autumn if the 'Barbecue summer' had arrived as promised :( . Having found fuse info. in handbook [thanks LH :thumbsup: ] it mentions an instrument panel fuse box. Does anyone know if this is actually the panel behind the glovebox or is there really a fuse panel behind the dials? I have checked all fuses in engine fuse boxes and the ones behind the glovebox but the diagram shows a different layout and more fuses than I can find under glovebox.

I would like to check everything I can before I make the trek to my nearest MrT.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Davrav

Hi Davrav not to sure of myself here but page 408 of the handbook shows fuse locations + it only shows the 2 under bonnet locations + the glovebox ones which on a L/H drive vehicle would be effectively under the instrument panel, I assume that is what it means. fuse No 5 (10amp) seems to be the only one relating to power heater A/C but this also supplies clock/ power steering etc so i feel sure you would know if this was blown, hope someone more techy can advise as i am not too sure.. :unsure:

Hi Davrav not to sure of myself here but page 408 of the handbook shows fuse locations + it only shows the 2 under bonnet locations + the glovebox ones which on a L/H drive vehicle would be effectively under the instrument panel, I assume that is what it means. fuse No 5 (10amp) seems to be the only one relating to power heater A/C but this also supplies clock/ power steering etc so i feel sure you would know if this was blown, hope someone more techy can advise as i am not too sure.. :unsure:

Thanks LH,

You have confirmed what I was thinking. The AC/heating system is quite complex and I suspect there are several possible causes so I guess it's a call to MrT in the morning. I need to get it fixed since the weather is so poor at the moment. At least I discovered the problem before it is really urgent.

Davrav

Hi Dave

There are as Stew says some main fuses behind the glove box;

rhd_fuses.pdf

..........but I think they would affect far more than just the temp control. You can make the heater cycle through all functions by putting it into "test mode". To do this just follow these instructions and with the engine warm you might feel it deliver warm air at the appropriate stage or at least feel the temperature change;

ToyotaTechDoc_heater.pdf

It sounds rather like one of the heater servo's has packed in (providing the engine is getting up to temperature) which is a dealer job anyway. If it does give you a fault code as indicated in the text, let me know and I will tell you what it means.

Please keep us informed.

It sounds rather like one of the heater servo's has packed in (providing the engine is getting up to temperature) which is a dealer job anyway. If it does give you a fault code as indicated in the text, let me know and I will tell you what it means.

Please keep us informed.

Many thanks for your swift reply and excellent info. Anchorman. :thumbsup:

Have carried out the checks as outlined and am getting a fan symbol and code 97

Have an early appointment at main dealer in the morning but if you can enlighten me re. what the code means I will know in advance if I am looking at getting home by bus :unsure:

David

Please keep us informed.

Many thanks for your swift reply and excellent info. Anchorman. :thumbsup:

Have carried out the checks as outlined and am getting a fan symbol and code 97

Have an early appointment at main dealer in the morning but if you can enlighten me re. what the code means I will know in advance if I am looking at getting home by bus :unsure:

David

It looks like the A/C amplifier so it is over to them........

ToyotaTechDoc_97.pdf

Thanks Anchorman - Have an appointment at 08.00hrs tomorrow. Hope it's warm over the weekend as I doubt they will have one of those in stock :unsure:

Help much appreciated. Will update on outcome.

David

Well local MrT of same opinion so 2-3 working days to get part and 45mins to fit. Hoping that cures the problem as, if not, it's dash out to get at A/C and heater unt which is a whole day................................

Thank heavens for 3yr warranty as had car one year and 4 days now.

• 2 weeks later...
Well local MrT of same opinion so 2-3 working days to get part and 45mins to fit. Hoping that cures the problem as, if not, it's dash out to get at A/C and heater unt which is a whole day................................

Thank heavens for 3yr warranty as had car one year and 4 days now.

Well the saga continues...................

Took car in to have AC amplifier fitted this morning. After an hour the service manager came out to see me with the news that the new ecu and a change of contol panel had not cured the problem.

When questioned about the original fault code that indicated a problem with the amp unit he replied 'Oh, fault codes only give a general area to investigate' :unsure:

Still, not to worry as they had ordered a new matrix unit at same time as AC amp unit so they would fit that as well but it would take all day.

Accepted their offer of a lift home and agreed to phone at 4.00pm for an update.

This I did to be told, 'The technician has partly stripped out the dash but the matrix sent is the wrong one' :huh:

'So what now?' I asked, to be told that another, presumably correct matrix, had been ordered to be delivered tomorrow. 'The technician will leave what he has done so far as he doesn't want to go any further today in case he can't remember how it all goes back together tomorrow' :eek:

Neither reassured or impressed :angry:

Finally got RAV back today. Complete heater matrix replaced which took three days and involved stripping out all of dash and associated wiring etc.

Glad it was covered by warranty but not impressed that it failed after only one year. Only ever had that problem once before on a 12 yr old Volvo that had covered 150K!

Asked for a full report of work done - three lines to cover three days work :unsure:

What happened to the matrix? It makes no sense.

Finally got RAV back today. Complete heater matrix replaced which took three days and involved stripping out all of dash and associated wiring etc.

Glad it was covered by warranty but not impressed that it failed after only one year. Only ever had that problem once before on a 12 yr old Volvo that had covered 150K!

Asked for a full report of work done - three lines to cover three days work :unsure:

I had two Renault Laguna company cars that the heater matrix went..filled the passenger foot well with foul smelling liquid... they ain't easy to replace... and require the whole dash to come out....so I would keep an eye on squeaks and rattles... hope the technician did not end up with spare nuts and bolts after re-fitting yours :unsure: :unsure:i

1. Took dash apart day 1

2. Replaced Matrix day 2

3. Put dash back day 3

:lol::lol::lol: Love those technicians.......

What happened to the matrix? It makes no sense.

I agree. I suspect an actuator as per your original diagnosis but I doubt they could be bothered to fully investigate and took the 'easy but long' option of replacing the whole unit as it was a warranty job - they didn't appear to be too troubled with other work ;)