Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Sr 2008 Ipod Cable Fitting Guide

alfiejts

I’ve just successfully completed install of iPod cable on my 2008 Yaris SR and I thought I’d post a write up to help others…..

I ordered IPC-107P cable for Eclipse 2210P (which is the TomTom radio unit fitted to the 2008 Yaris SR that Toyota rebrand as their own.

If you go to the Eclipse web site, you’ll recognise the unit!

http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/avn/avn2210pmk2overviews.html

There is also an AUX105 auxiliary cable available for providing an auxillary input for other (non iPod) devices, but that only provides “aux in” connection and doesn’t provide full iPod control via the touch screen display.

I ordered the cable from Amazon.com in the US. Luckily my brother was coming over from California, so all it cost me was £19, including local US shipping….

This is the cable.

dscf4032.jpg

There’s a You-Tube film here that helps you undo the dash panels….

and a thread here that’s useful reading for dash removal too…

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry631000

And if you do a search here for “Yaris IPOD”, you’ll find the install guide for the “ordinary” Yaris ipod adapter that also helps you disassemble the dashboard…

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/Aim.aspx?menuitem=2#

There’s a thread here of someone who’s fitted the same head unit to a Toyota in the US with a useful wiring diagram I used…

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249949

First, remove the side mouldings, unclipping from the bottom to the top.

Then lift up the bottom of the instrument panel surround (i.e. the flat plate beneath the speedometer – as in the YouTube video

Then unclip the silver radio surround. It unclips at the bottom first and then you need to unattach it from the instrument panel surround.

Then there are just four screws holding the radio in place.

I tried unsuccessfully to remove the air vents. In the end, I left them in place and used a bit of brute force to jiggle the radio head unit out without taking the air vents off first.

Remove the connections from the back of the radio and remove it from the car.

dscf4025j.jpg

The ipod connection is the small circular hole next to the multiway-connectors on the left side of the unit. The auxillary AUX105 connector is the 10-way multi-pin round connector to the right of the unit.

dscf4026i.jpg

On the back of the radio, clip on the black plastic mount for the ipod cable around the ipod connector hole..

Decide where you want to store your iPod. I decided to keep it in the glovebox in front of the driver.

Next you need to cut a hold to get the cable through to where you want it.

I made a cardboard template that the iPod connector would just fit through, taped it to the inside of the glovebox and then used my Dremel multi-tool to cut a hole of the right shape and size – making sure that there was nothing behind the hole (such as wiring) that I was going to cut through.

dscf4031r.jpg

Next connect the iPod power cables to the wiring loom using the “scotchloc” connectors supplied – red to switched ignition supply and black to earth. I used the red and black wires in the wiring connectors shown in this picture.

dscf4027.jpg

Finally, plug the ipod cable into the back of the radio, reattach all the connectors and put everything back together the way it came apart.

Before you screw it all in though, test that it all works and that the iPod does show that its charging with the ignition switched on…

Here’s a picture of the radio screen showing the iPod selection menu:

dscf4030.jpg

Be aware that each time you switch on, the iPod will start playing from the first track. It doesn’t remember where you left it playing. That’s a documented limitation of the iPod installation on this radio unit.

All in all, about an hour’s work but well worth it….

Last thing to do is to find a rubber grommet to tidy up the hole inside the glovebox where the cable feeds through...

Wow what a great guide! Looks so easy too. It would be a shame to keep it here as it would best suited on the 'How to' section, that way it'll be easier to locate in the future as I am sure many SR owners will want to install thier ipods.

Aye. You're right Stan - but let me get a bit of exposure here first please Mr Moderator, as I'll bet a lot of Yaris owners (like me) don't browse the "How to" section very often, unless they've already decided to do something particular and might not realise that this is an easy option...

Top post mate! ;)

This should be a "Sticky" :D

• 1 month later...

Hello alfiejts I have been trying to get a ipc-107p cable fron eBay Amazon and the like and cant find one under £65. without postage (which is almost as much) where did you source yours from?

Your research into it and fitting report is brilliant thanks. Noddy2

Hello alfiejts I have been trying to get a ipc-107p cable fron ebay amazon and the like and cant find one under £65. without postage (which is almost as much) where did you source yours from?

Your research into it and fitting report is brilliant thanks. Noddy2

Got it from audioonline seller on Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-iPC-107p-AVN...5341&sr=1-2

Link is above....

Fortunately, I have a brother in USA who was coming over here anyway, so I only paid local USA shipping and he brought them over for me....

• 3 months later...

Have you had any luck Noddy2 ? I'm still looking for ways to get a hold of the cable.

Will see if you can go through the dealer in the UK, to just get the cable.

Have you had any luck Noddy2 ? I'm still looking for ways to get a hold of the cable.

Will see if you can go through the dealer in the UK, to just get the cable.

[/quote

Yes I was lucky enough to find one on ebay it was as recomended in this thread an eclipse Ipc 107p for £20. including postage havent yet fitted it yet mostly because I dont like the cold weather.

But before I found this one I rang a couple of Toyota Dealers and car audio places no one could tell me if the ones they could get would work and charge my 5th or 6th gen classic ipod.

I kept looking and as soon as I saw one I snapped it up.

Good Luck keep hunting its a shame there is so many software changes.

Thats lucky,I've been quoted £200 for the full integration by toyota.. :S bit of a rip off!

I'll end up just ordering the part from somewhere. Currently upgrading my system at the moment installing sub, amp and 6x9s so i figured it wouldn't be a bad shout to try and get my iPod working in there as well.

Was it a trade seller on eBay, if so which one?

Thanks anyway, good luck with the install once it warms up :)

@ alfiejts.

How easy is it to remove the side trims either side of the centre silver trim? A picture of where to pull from etc would be very much appreciated. I want to do someting for the wifes Yaris and would like to remove the silver trim also.

Thanks

Ian

Futher up the post there is a video on how to remove the radio surroundings. Here is the link:

As you can see from the video you simply start at the bottom of the side trims pulling outwards and working your way up to the top.

I hope this helps.

Futher up the post there is a video on how to remove the radio surroundings. Here is the link:

As you can see from the video you simply start at the bottom of the side trims pulling outwards and working your way up to the top.

I hope this helps.

Ah so there is....doh. Didn't see that the first time I read it.... :rolleyes:

Thanks very much.... :)

• 1 month later...

Fitted the cable today all works ok ( play's and charges my 120gb classic ) all sounds good although a little slower to navigate than I would of expected good tho a lot better than flash drives.

I put my cable into the main glovebox that way no holes were needed as it enters over the back.

It was as easy as this thread states and done in about an hour.

Thanks alfiejts brilliant stuff,

Noddy2

Have just got a 5th gen 16gb Nano the radio sat nav read and played it very well but I had to get a Scosche Pasport, which plugs inbetween the Nano and the ipc107p cable to make it charge. Apple in their helpfullness have apparently not connected the firewire terminals on the 4th & 5th gen Nano's so a lot of docks and car audio comes up with, charging is not suported with this accessory. on the ipod.

• 4 months later...

May have found a solution. A bit of a compromise i admit, but its the AUX 105 cable : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REAL-WORKING-ECLIPSE-AUX-105-3-5MM-MP3-iPOD-AUX-INPUT-/290437860683?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item439f720d4b

Though it wont fully integrate the ipod it will play music through the standard HU,

Any opinions on the quality of the cable would be great. I'm concerned about it, how many pins does the radio have?

Edited by teejayy

Yes, that looks like the right AUX-105 cable. It has the 10 pin plug that fits into the 10 pin round socket for the CD Changer that I've highlighted in the picture within the first post on this thread.

There's a real IPC-107P here with worldwide shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eclipse-IPC-107p-iPod-Cable-avn2210p-interface-/280514900311?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414ffdb157

Shipping's not cheap but it still works out at only approx £55 incl shipping which is still a very good buy compared to a UK dealer....

There's a real IPC-107P here with worldwide shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Eclipse-IPC-107p-iPod-Cable-avn2210p-interface-/280514900311?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414ffdb157

Shipping's not cheap but it still works out at only approx £55 incl shipping which is still a very good buy compared to a UK dealer....

Wow, Chears alfiejts, thats a gem of a find. Will be purchasing this as soon as i can!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

i was just wondering after using the ipod do you need to disconnect? because at the moment I am simply turning the engine off and pulling it out.

thanks

• 5 months later...

does everything work competly fine after doing this as just like when factory fitted? as in the radio and the sat nav? as heard it can slow down your sat nav, just purchased a ECLIPSE AUX-105 3.5MM MP3 iPOD AUX INPUT, because i dont really need to control it uing my h/u, will this slow the sat nav down aswell

?

It is the same cable as the factory fit for these models. So in effect, it is a factory fit....

No issues with the Sat Nav.

The main thing that slows down TomTom sat navs is having too many POIs enabled as "visible" on the map screen.

• 5 months later...

Hehe. This is surreal. Just done a search on my own post of two years ago, to remind my self how to fit an iPod cable, as I bought two cables but only ever fitted one...

My wife's never had an iPod (she uses a memory card in her phone to play mp3s at the gym) but I couldn't resist a bargain and just picked up an 8gb iPod Nano in the Makro sale reduced from £120 to £60, so its time to enable the iPod integration in her car too....

Not really sure how much use she'll really make of it during her 5 minute commute to work....

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but i bought this aux cable recently, connected it and nothing happens? any ideas?

• 2 months later...