Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Trip Computer

jem-123

Hi there,

I hope this is a really simple question, i was wondering whether my recently purchased 2004 Yaris 1.4 D4D has the old MPG trip reading option on it.

I didn't get a manual with all the other paperwork, so am just randomly pressing buttons on the dash and i can only get the average speed to come up?

Also can i get a replacement owners manual from somewhere, i was going to get a Haynes Manual but it appears they don't do one for the Diesel Models? Also if i can get a manual any idea on cost?

Thanks for any info!

Jem x

I've done a search and can't find a manual online Jem....

I had a 2000 1.0 petrol, so it might not be the same and I'm going from memory, but there was a button on the left side of the radio marked "Trip" or something like...

You pressed that repeatedly and the display changed from instant MPG to average MPG for that trip to average speed...

The display changed from one option to the next each time you pushed the button....

Hopefully someone with a 2004 diesel will be able to confirm....

Greetings fellow 2004 Yaris D4D owner! :D

Alas I have to confirm that we got shafted in the trip computer department; While the petrol ones have a bazillion modes, ours just has an (incredibly inaccurate) average speed display.

That's. It. :(

I thought it a very odd omission, since if anyone is going to care about mpg, it will be a diesel owner!! :lol:

You can still get a ScanGauge or something to get an mpg readout but it's a lot of money for such a small thing...

I did get a scangauge but it hasn't been very accurate. I've recently set the engine size to 1.2L and it is giving me more realistic readouts. Haven't done a tank on it yet while set like this so i have to wait another week or two to see how much off it is.

It's a bit odd that there was no mpg gauge on the diesel yaris. I did think of getting a scrappy mpg gauge off a petrol yaris but never got around to it. It may not work though. The lack of haynes manuals on the diesel yaris doesn't help either!

Hey Alfiejts, thanks for searching for us - and very good memory for the display, unfortunatley it's just not there! :) As for the manual, i've heard that the engine in the 2002 - 2007 Mini's could be the same - not sure tho, so might leave tinkering about with the mechanics to the proffessionals (or ask the forum :thumbsup: )

Hi Cyker :D What a bummer - but i suppose with all the other extra's you get on the T spirit Diesel i can manage without an MPG guage - it would be nice to have, but if as inaccurate as the average speed melarky not a lot of point having one ;) I'll have to trust my economical way of driving to get the best out of my tank!

Thanks for the insight Carlowlad - probably leave the aftermarket MPG idea alone - heard it's between £400 and £500 to get one new :eek: (supply and fit) and if i was going to spend that sort of money straight off it'd have to be on sorting out the sound system :rolleyes: Actually i have decided to try and keep the car's electrics in their 'natural' state as all of my other cars have developed big old electrical faults after getting the new system installed - Maybe it's just coincidence but i'd like this car to last a bit longer than a year! That being said i haven't sold my amp and Speakers yet - just in case :D

Engine in 2001-4 Mini is the same.

NO mpg on my diesel...

So it looks like the design of the diesel fuel system doesn't allow the car to easily measure how much fuel is being used....

You're only other way then Jem is to measure your usage at refuelling and work out hte average consumption manually.

In case you're not aware....

1) Fill the car up with fuel and either make a note of the mileage or zero the trip computer.

2) Drive the car until you want to refuel

3) Fill the car up. Note how many litres it took to fill and the number of miles that have passed since you first refuelled it.

4) Work out the average fuel consumption in MPG (miles per gallon) on a calculator as follows:

"Number of miles travelled" divided by "Number of litres used to refill" multiplied by "4.54"

I'm very sad and actually use an Excel spreadsheet to track this for every refuelling.

It's actually been useful to identify a couple of engine issues, when I realised that the fuel consumption had suddenly got a lot worse than usual....

1) Fill the car up with fuel and either make a note of the mileage or zero the trip computer.

3) Fill the car up. Note how many litres it took to fill and the number of miles that have passed since you first refuelled it.

4) Work out the average fuel consumption in MPG (miles per gallon) on a calculator as follows:

"Number of miles travelled" divided by "Number of litres used to refill" multiplied by "4.54"

I'm very sad and actually use an Excel spreadsheet to track this for every refuelling.

Or use this... :thumbsup:

Or use this... :thumbsup:

Thanks Guys - i just found my last petrol reciept from filling up my 1.4 Fiesta (petrol) - used the calculation and worked out it was only doing a dismal 34 mpg :o ! I think i made a good choice trading it in for my new Yaris Diesel :lol: I'm doing a lot more motorway miles and the Fiesta was on it's way to huge repair bills!

I like the link too - how easy is that?!

Can't wait to use it on the Yaris (if the diesel ever goes down enough! :D

Engine in 2001-4 Mini is the same.

NO mpg on my diesel...

Thanks Madasafish - i was thinking of getting a haynes manual for the Yaris (for bodywork purposes) and a Haynes Mini Manual for the D4D engine. Only one hitch (apart from having to buy two manuals for one car) - The Haynes Mini Manual doesn't cover the Diesel engines either! :crybaby:

Oh well - maybe someones trying to tell me something- like 'don't touch it!!!'

As for the MPG - i'm looking forward to trying to get over 500 miles from a tank - i'm thinking this game might be just as fun as watching a trip computer telling me to ease off the accelerator :lol:

I bought the Haynes Yaris manual - no diesel.

But the only engine work I do is change oil and oil, fuel and air filters... which hardly require a manual..

As for the MPG - i'm looking forward to trying to get over 500 miles from a tank - i'm thinking this game might be just as fun as watching a trip computer telling me to ease off the accelerator :lol:

:eek: You'd have to be on the redline all day to do 500 miles on a tank! At worst i get 700, at best i can clear 800 miles.

You just have to ease off the accelerations a little, come off the throttle early when coming up to a red light, junction or whatever and overall just keep the speed steady. Go a little up from 32psi in your tyres, say 36psi? and you will visit the forecourts a whole lot less.

Good luck!

Just a little off topic. Can I set my milegae calculator for EU litres/100km? As well as temp °F to °C?

:eek: You'd have to be on the redline all day to do 500 miles on a tank! At worst i get 700, at best i can clear 800 miles.

You just have to ease off the accelerations a little, come off the throttle early when coming up to a red light, junction or whatever and overall just keep the speed steady. Go a little up from 32psi in your tyres, say 36psi? and you will visit the forecourts a whole lot less.

Good luck!