Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Starlet Maintenance

chrisb1976

Hi, I've just bought a Toyota Starlet (R reg - 1997) which I am so far very pleased with . However, I'm a bit concerned about the colour of the coolant in the radiator. It seems to look brown (or red?), but not sure if it should look that colour. Can anyone help me out?

If I wanted to drain it could I put any type of antifreeze in or does it have to be special stuff?

Also, is there a Haynes Manual out for the Starlet? I'm having trouble finding any type of maintenance guide.

Thanks,

Chris

The cooling system is filled with Toyota "Forlife" which is a ready mixed coolant and should not be topped up with ordinary water.

It is red in colour and turns to a yellow/orange when contaminated by acidity/Combustion gases

:thumbsup:

I had a look on the haynes website, and there is no manual for the ep91 starlet :(

this forum seems like a good source of knowledge though, just need to do a bit of digging :thumbsup:

Have you got a 4E-FE engine ????

If so,then maintenance is simple on the engine -

Set of plugs,air filter and fuel filter - No points to mess with,timing and mixture all controlled by the ECU and Cam belt due at 60,000 or 5 Years - whichever is soonest.

:thumbsup:

• 9 years later...

Hi Guys

I recently bought a 1998 Toyota Starlet EP90 15 diesel and just serviced it ...

How many miles should I wait before another service?

I searched the net already but the only info I found was re changing the timing belt after 100,000

Thanks

Wow! You found a 9 year old thread :lol:

It should be serviced once a year or 10,000 miles, whichever is the sooner

Where are you located? We never had a diesel Starlet in the UK

Kingo :thumbsup:

Many thanks :) I live in malta. It's an island in the Mediterranean underneath Italy and Sicily. Most probably was imported from Japan if not from England.

haha, Yes I know Malta, my Uncle was based there in the RAF, I have been a few times

I know I might sound like an idiot asking this question... but my odometer reads in Kilometers, so the counter should also read in kilometers right?

Yes thats correct, if the speedo is in KM then the speed is too

• 2 years later...

Hi All

I am from Malta too, where the Toyota Starlet Reflet (EP91) Diesel Automatic Transmission (Japan import) is very popular.

My mechanic told me that I should service it every 6,000KM but I read on this thread that it should be serviced every 10,000 miles (16,000 km).... there is quite a difference!

My car's odometer is now 125,000 kms.. is it still recommended to service it every 16,000 km? I drive approximately 12,000 km a year.

Also, where can I find a user manual for this model? I have the japanese version and I cannot read that :)

• 3 months later...

I have just bought a 95 1.3 Starlet. Does anyone know of a workshop manual for it ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links