Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Avensis

airt

Hello all

I have a 2004 diesel Avensis that is loosing power and cutting out and stopping and thin wont start until the hand primer is pumped,this does not happen until the fuel tank is around the quater mark,have changed the fuel filter,thinking it might be dirt in fuel tank and i was wondering is the tank easy to get at. thanks all Airt.

Hello all

I have a 2004 diesel Avensis that is loosing power and cutting out and stopping and thin wont start until the hand primer is pumped,this does not happen until the fuel tank is around the quater mark,have changed the fuel filter,thinking it might be dirt in fuel tank and i was wondering is the tank easy to get at. thanks all Airt.

hello mate

do not be hurry - but fristly please advise the following:

- VIN code;

- total milage on the clock;

- when was fuel filter last changed (excluding this time);

- how did you change this filter (in details) - what have you done as step by step;

- whether both steel tube and rubber diesel lines have not been damaged resuting an air sucting into the fuel system?????????

- have you tested primer fuel pump located inside the fuel tank? It also has its lifetime (arround 180k), may be suction strainer is clogged in the tank?

PS - in case you have to boost the diesel enabling starting -- this means an air is inside the fuel system, or you could casually damaged or positionned O-rings in wrong order or returning/suction lines got damaged. You can have all four injector pipes rerleased from each injector; put rags under just to prevent diesel be poured and crank the engine for several revolutions. After stop cranking and check whether diesel appeared from this connection. If possitive then have all connections tighteen + clelan them. After try to start the engine without boostering. If negative -- be focused on two SCV located on the HP fuel injection pump body -- just have them tested by el tester or youo can simply test both by turning the ignition key in ON position (without cranking) --> once in ON -- they must to give a click sound confirming they are got opened (they are normally closed) - this job for two persons (one in cabin and 2nd touches both SCVs). Besides -- during filter changing (as stated) -- whether you paid attention on possible water contamination in the buttom of the filter??? Whether it was available?

Please revert. Cheers/Igor

DO NOT LOOSEN THE PIPES ON THE INJECTORS AND TURN THE ENGINE OVER. This is a high pressure fuel system, the fuel will leave the pipes at 23,000 psi and anyone in its path the fuel will pass through them. the safest and only way is to check on the leak off pipes from the injectors, or with a ISP that will give you a data list with common rail fuel pressure.

DO NOT LOOSEN THE PIPES ON THE INJECTORS AND TURN THE ENGINE OVER. This is a high pressure fuel system, the fuel will leave the pipes at 23,000 psi and anyone in its path the fuel will pass through them. the safest and only way is to check on the leak off pipes from the injectors, or with a ISP that will give you a data list with common rail fuel pressure.

hello mate

your care is well understood -- nothing will be happened in case ot 1/4 of circle to be loosen -- it is easy to have an air escaped before injector, not opening the rocker arms cover. The engine will not be started due to pressure unavailability in rail or even if the pressure is not sufficient.

Cheers/Igor

dont mess with things you have very little knowledge of or the pressures involved. all trained technicians and manufactures tell you NEVER slacken the unions of the HP FUEL SYSTEM TO TEST FOR AIR as in the old days on pre 2000 diesel systems. simply put it will end with a fatal injury

dont mess with things you have very little knowledge of or the pressures involved. all trained technicians and manufactures tell you NEVER slacken the unions of the HP FUEL SYSTEM TO TEST FOR AIR as in the old days on pre 2000 diesel systems. simply put it will end with a fatal injury

the task is to remove an air from the system.

it is not necessary to be close to connections or even touch them.

1/4 circle releasing enables to be sure no air before injectors. it is not necesssary to start the engiine -- but just 2 -3 revolutions -- this will be enough.

And onething else -- never say like this - you have very little knowledge of or the pressures involved-----> in case you do not know the person you are talking to :) it is just friendly advise to you. The fuel pressure is criated in closed volume but in case this volume is being expanded (connections releasing on 1/4 of circle) them the pressure is sharply dropped giving fuel leaks. 1/4 is really nothing or even 1/8 will give a result -- it is nothing for pressure you are talking about and moreover the pressure will be throttled passiing thru a very weak points (threads etc). The AUTHOR has got a problem and we have to help him/her but not to evaluate each person technical knowledges :) Good luck to you

Igor

Man you guys are keen... I'd just take it to a garage and tell them to fix it! :lol:

Man you guys are keen... I'd just take it to a garage and tell them to fix it! :lol:

At £95.00 per hour not likely!! The advice some people have got from this forum have helped them fix their cars for free .... not always possible but that's why we try to help. :D

Regards Pete.

• 2 months later...
Hello all

Hello all just to let you all know what happened ,Itook out the back seat and removed the filter in the diesel tank,it was full of a gunge like wax.I cleaned the filter and replaced it and have had no problems since.thanks for all the input Airt

Hello all just to let you all know what happened ,Itook out the back seat and removed the filter in the diesel tank,it was full of a gunge like wax.I cleaned the filter and replaced it and have had no problems since.thanks for all the input Airt

:D

yes it is happened from an extensive maintenance. glad you ve cured it for free !!!

Good luck/Igor