Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Looks Like We're Keeping Our Rav... Anyone There Got A Roof Box?

Nightstalker

Hi all :lol:

After various heated discussions with her in doors it seems like we are going to try and keep our Rav and squeeze 3 kid seats in the back, I've got 2 next to oneanother and it looks like there's space for a 3rd... (if its safe... we still need to find this out first...)

Anyway, should it be ok then we would have to expand the luggage space to the roof... So for all you fine Ravvers out there who have got roof boxes...

1. Can you advise the best place to get them

2. How awkward is it to get to it, do you have the side steps?

3. How does the fuel consumption suffer when using a roof box?

regards

Rob

B)

After various heated discussions with her in doors it seems like we are going to try and keep our Rav and squeeze 3 kid seats in the back, I've got 2 next to oneanother and it looks like there's space for a 3rd... (if its safe... we still need to find this out first...)

Anyway, should it be ok then we would have to expand the luggage space to the roof... So for all you fine Ravvers out there who have got roof boxes...

regards

Rob

B)

Hi Rob,

When I bought one of these and some roof bars a few years ago I used http://www.skidrive.co.uk/index.php They were excellent in terms of price and customer sevice and know about what they are selling. Their site is worth a browse anyway. There was an increase in fuel consumption when I used a roof box, about 3mpg in my case with an Isuzu Trooper. Haven't used one on the RAV as we are at the opposite end of family life to you - just grandchildren . I've never tried 3 kiddy seats in the back of the 4.3 but I suspect that you would get them in AND there is a full lap/diagonal seatbelt to simplify things. Loading and unloading was reasonably OK - I stood on the rear wheel. I got best use out of the box when we packed things in poly bags rather than cases or holdalls. Don't get too ambitious with weight either - I seem to remember that you could carry up to 50kg ion the roof. Even with 3 little uns, it's still quiet a lot. Good luck!

regards

Rob

B)

Hi Rob,

Bought quite a while ago now, but I bought a Thule Ocean 600 from GT Towing in Watford (I think it was) - www.roofbox.co.uk has good prices usually - that is where I got my Thule roofbars from.

I would always tend to look at Thule for a couple of reasons ....

1) renowned quality and cost is still ok IMO - and at the time I bought mine  (2004) I thought the lid securing system gave me a lot better peace of mind then other makes - don't want it flying open  at 70mph on a motorway!

2) with their one-key system, if you have thule roof bars you can match the roofbox lock to the bars and save fiddling about with different keys.

I have the RAV4.2 rather then your 4.3 (suspect the 4.3 is taller as it is bigger all round? ) and found I tended to load/unload it by having the doors opening and just stepping on the door cill when loading. I could reach it  without doing so but was a stretch and concerned about knocking the paintwork by overreaching. When I loaded it at home I use a work platform (extra 2' or so of height) and that was by far the best way and would recommend that as the best option - but prob only available one end of the journey!

got to affect the consumption to a degree, but if you need it, you need it! Last time I did a real long journey with it (down to spain), I just took it off when arrived and left it in a spare room in rented villa and then fitted it back on for return.

PS - lots of people buy roofboxes for specific holidays and then sell after and at this time of year, you may well find roofboxes on eBay that have only have one or two trips.

3 kids seats across the back!! I can't get a car seat, a booster seat and an adult in the back of mine!! Well I can, but it is very uncomfortable for the adult (my wife). And the way the middle seat belt overlaps with the outer is just crazy IMHO.

Not tried it fully yet, at the moment I have a britax evolva123 behind the front passenger seat and a mamas and papas seat in the middle and it looks like I could fit abother seat behind the drivers seat. Personally I do think its gonna be cramped, but her indoors recons we should'nt change the car when no 3 turns up... I do think that a LC would be better .... we'll see...

regards

Rob

B)

Rob,

I know you have already spent a small fortune on car seats over the years but you might like to check out the multimac system.

From what I read they are available in seats for three or four :eek: children across the back seat of a normal car for children from birth up to 12 years old.

Might keep your wife happy :hug:

and more importantly might keep your Bank Manager happy! :yes:

or

Buy a couple seats from the scappie, gaffer tape them into a trailer....job done! Open air motoring for the nippers! :lol:

Cheers for that Fuj...

checked their website out... Blimey these dont come cheap... and dont look all to comfortable either...

I'll be off shift on Wednesday so will make tracks down to my local Mothercare to check out the safety aspects of my current setup...

I find it will be quite cramped and awkward to get the kids in their seats...

Perhaps I should get back in the ring :mad2::boxing::boxing::argue::boxing::bash: and end up like this :crutchy: ... but perhaps she'll notice that a LC would be better for us... might have to aim lower down the specs range to keep her happy... the one I test drove was a LC5 and was GREAT... :drool::drool::drool: the milage and price was good n all... thing is I've got used to the leather in me Rav and wont want cloth trim in my next Toyota as its much easier to clean...

Or maybe I'll settle for a LC3 and change the trim later on in time to Leather... depending on cost of it...

AHHH its doin me nut !!!!! :blink::wacko::blink::blowup:

Regards

Rob

:afro: (hair cut due)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links