Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav4 D-cat 177: Power Loss And All Sorts Of Vsc Warnings

Justin Adie

Thank you jopsom. unfortunately only one datapoint for the same model as mine, but nevertheless useful.

toyota surprised me today by reporting that they had finished the repairs to my car already. i have it back now and although it feels a bit 'springy' compared to how it was (more body roll), this could be subjective relative to the ford focus that i have been driving over the last three days.

the fault was with the fifth injector valve, in the exhaust.

the print out that i have got from the garage says the following (translated roughly)

T-Codes and CCR

Code T1: 04 - motor does not accelerate normally

Code T2: 88 - obstruction and/or presence of a foreign body

cause: note ged eg 0050t/1008-fr

they replaced the injector assembly and reprogrammed the ECU (resetting my map prefs etc, but not the bluetooth pairing interestingly).

1.1hrs of labour

732 euros of parts (of which 730 = injector assembly).

all under warranty, thankfully.

I talked to the garage about the EGR and they said that they were aware of the issue and that spain in particular had had a lot of problems. The toyota garage (which has the franchise for three garages in toulouse and rav4's are _very_ popular) has only seen 10 EGR replacements in the last few years. however they have 5th injector issues every week without fail.

i suspect, from what the mechanic said, that the difference may be something to do with the different regulations that apply in france to the sale of diesel. it may be that the diesel is higher quality than in Spain/UK? (i.e. the standard diesel rather than excellium etc - big difference here, excellium is 1.17eur/l whereas 'ordinary' diesel is 99.9c/l)

the garage also said that the new ECU drivers will improve the fuel consumption. he did not give any reasons as to _why_ so i will take this with a pinch of salt and report back in a 1000km or so.

Thank you jopsom. unfortunately only one datapoint for the same model as mine, but nevertheless useful.

toyota surprised me today by reporting that they had finished the repairs to my car already. i have it back now and although it feels a bit 'springy' compared to how it was (more body roll), this could be subjective relative to the ford focus that i have been driving over the last three days.

the fault was with the fifth injector valve, in the exhaust.

the print out that i have got from the garage says the following (translated roughly)

T-Codes and CCR

Code T1: 04 - motor does not accelerate normally

Code T2: 88 - obstruction and/or presence of a foreign body

cause: note ged eg 0050t/1008-fr

they replaced the injector assembly and reprogrammed the ECU (resetting my map prefs etc, but not the bluetooth pairing interestingly).

1.1hrs of labour

732 euros of parts (of which 730 = injector assembly).

all under warranty, thankfully.

I talked to the garage about the EGR and they said that they were aware of the issue and that spain in particular had had a lot of problems. The toyota garage (which has the franchise for three garages in toulouse and rav4's are _very_ popular) has only seen 10 EGR replacements in the last few years. however they have 5th injector issues every week without fail.

i suspect, from what the mechanic said, that the difference may be something to do with the different regulations that apply in france to the sale of diesel. it may be that the diesel is higher quality than in Spain/UK? (i.e. the standard diesel rather than excellium etc - big difference here, excellium is 1.17eur/l whereas 'ordinary' diesel is 99.9c/l)

the garage also said that the new ECU drivers will improve the fuel consumption. he did not give any reasons as to _why_ so i will take this with a pinch of salt and report back in a 1000km or so.

Under the EU requires that all diesel is 50ppm sulfur.

In Italy some have had problems with the 5th injector, but soon resolved.

(Eni or Agip) blutech or 1.190 € / l <=> excellium <=> v-power.

Try these or diesel fuel, but also use additives such tunap, liqui moly and stp etc.

you haven't more problems

http://rav4faq.kerkerinck.de/xa3/tipstricks/

• 3 weeks later...
If the warning light has been on it will have recorded a fault code of 0400 and in that case there is an extended warranty of 100k/5 years which will give you a new EGR and a new inlet manifold if it is sufficiently contaminated. For that reason it is important that you have the new EGR fitted as it will resist further problems. It is all FOC.

Sorted!!...Got the T180 sorted today. EGR Valve replaced!! Got acceleration back, just need the weekend to come and take it for a good run to see what the fuel economy is now. For everyones info, according to the mechanic the valve and manifold wer3e not too badly sooted but the EGR had stuck in the full open position.

Having had a dose of the EGRs / VSC / Lamp of "death" myself, if you want to reset the brain and restore the power output, in, an all-be-it temporary fashion, disconnect the cars Battery for 10 secs. This works until the fault reoccurs. I limped on for a fortnight until my local Mr Toyota had the parts and a loan car available.

Having had a dose of the EGRs / VSC / Lamp of "death" myself, if you want to reset the brain and restore the power output, in, an all-be-it temporary fashion, disconnect the cars battery for 10 secs. This works until the fault reoccurs. I limped on for a fortnight until my local Mr Toyota had the parts and a loan car available.

if you don't want the hassle of d/c the Battery and waiting 10 mins or so and having to reset things like the radio, just open the bonnet take the top off the fuse box on the right, get the fuse pulling tool from the middle (a white thing) and take out the ecu-b fuse. Go and pump the brake until it goes hard. Then reseat the fuse. This sets the ECU to clear error codes without the hassle.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links