Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Iq Spark Plugs

Salsadicto

I have seen on the owner's manual that we have Denso IRRIDIUM sprk plugs !!!

ref :

1.0l (1KR-FE) : DENSO SK16HR11

1.3l (12NR-FE) : DENSO SC20HR11

No spark plug on diesel

Yep that means they last for a LONG time (about 56000 miles)

But they will still insist on replacing them at the service interval at 2 years.Thats only 10,000 miles for me. And this car is meant to be good for the environment :( I would keep them in for a few years at least!)

Yep that means they last for a LONG time (about 56000 miles)

But they will still insist on replacing them at the service interval at 2 years.Thats only 10,000 miles for me. And this car is meant to be good for the environment :( I would keep them in for a few years at least!)

Well, at least there's only three of them. :D

They are replaced after 6 years of 56000 miles/ 90000 kilometers i believe)

The NGK irridium spark plug i had bough for my yaris ts meant to last 60000 km. 90 000 km seems a lot !!!

@ turniphead : irridium spark plugs works quicker than usual sprak plugs to fire gaz in your motor. Can't be bad ;-) (if you buy good quality plugs of course, and denso / ngk are most famous)

What did the Yorkshireman say when he sat on a spark plug?

That's champion. :lol:

..........I'll get me coat. :unsure:

• 3 years later...

I recently replaced my Denso long lifers with some NGK 6's from Fensport. Since the change I have had a slight hesitation between 20-30mph. The only other thing that changed at the time was the air filter. I need to change the plugs back to see if it's the plugs or the filter that is causing the issue.

Fish

Spoke with Fensport (source of my plugs) and they recommended checking the gaps and decreasing to .6mm which I've now done. The Denso long lifes are well over .8mm gap and run without issue.

There is a big difference in the length of the screw thread between the Denso's and the NGK's though.

Lengths.jpg

Thought on if this shorter plug could be a cause of a hesitation/misfire type stutter when driving?

Fish

It seems strange to me that both plugs that are shown are supposed to be used in the same engine.Either one of them will have the electrodes recessed up inside the cylinder head casting which will not give efficient ignition/combustion, or the other will have the electrodes over exposed in the combustion chamber (in some cases at risk of fouling the piston at TDC). If one type is correct then surely the other one can't be? With that in mind, it could be the plugs that may be causing the bad running, as you suspect. John

I decreased the gap as requested but it didn't make any difference, in fact is was worse. I spoke with Fensport again and they have agreed a refund due to difference in plugs.

I took a little trip to my local stealers and £40 lighter but have a set of the Denso SK16HR11's waiting to be fitted tomorrow.

Big up to Fensport for looking after their customers. :)

Fish

• 1 year later...

What about changing the spark plugs on the IQ

do you have to remove everything except the kitchen sink. anyone changed there plugs

Robert

Do you have the 1.0 or 1.33 litre version Robert?

I can only speak for the 1.33 car I have but you need to drain the coolant, remove the throttle body, remove various pipes and vacuum valves, remove the intake manifold then remove the coils packs before you can finally get to the spark plugs underneath.

To refit the manifold you will need to replace the manifold and throttle body seals.

I haven't changed mine, yet... :)

Craig.

Hi Craig

Yes I have a 1.0 and I have look at the workshop manual. I can believe all this work to replace spark plugs. its bazar to say the least.

It state remove the wipers and the rest as you stated, that's totally out of order. I note that on a so called full service + by Toyota at £260 plus they only inspect the spark plugs I take it you have to remove the plugs to inspect them , I think? so do they put new plugs in and is that a extra charge on top of the £260,the time to get to the spark plugs. I am not keen to take on this amount of work as usually something will go wrong. And then your stuck with the car in bits.

Do you think if a called out the A A man and told him I think its the spark plugs that he would change them for me? at the road side

Robert

I thought the 1.0 version was easier but I've never looked under the bonnet of one for long enough to find the spark plugs.

The manual does say about removing the wiper motor and mechanism but I don't think it's necessary. I reckon you can skip that step but like I say, I haven't yet tried but do intend to have a go in the summer.

Maybe the spark plug inspection involves starting the car, revving it and saying, "Yeah, They seem fine" :)

Craig.

Just looked at my manual for the plug removal procedure on the 1.0 1KR-FE engine and it suggests draining the coolant, removing the throttle body and the removing the coil packs and the plugs.

It looks a lot easier than on the 1.3 1NR-FE engine, were you looking at that section of the manual?

Not sure how long the coolant pipes are going to the throttle body but I'd be tempted to try removing the nuts holding the body in place and moving it forward without disturbing the coolant pipes and seeing if you can work around it. May not be possible but worth a try before draining it.

Craig.

Yes that's what they may do, you will never know if they have changed them or not. I thick I will ask how much they charge to change the plugs and do the rest myself.

I used to change plugs in about 30 minutes in the old days

Robert

Know what you mean, Back when I first started driving in the mid 90's I had a 2.25 Land Rover petrol and it was a monthly job to remove and clean the plugs then file and reset the points gap. As you say, 30 minutes job in the end.

The iQ is just a packaging problem, It's a small car with an engine in it not specifically designed for the iQ. Unfortunately space is tight under the bonnet to do any kind of work.

Let us know how you get on if you do change them yourself. :)

Craig.

• Like 1

Is that 'Toyota', taking 2 hours labour & parts price .

Or as that a price from a 'Toyota Dealership', a place Franchised by 'Toyota'.?

Not the same thing really.

If that is their quoted price, then go get one from a place with Mechanics rather than 'Toyota Qualified Technicians'.

& if you think you can change the spark plugs on different modern vehicles,

then open the bonnet and look at what you see, if you can remove the Coil Packs, have a remover or can make one etc. Then do your own Servicing.

Not rocket science really, just basic car mechanics.

post-104736-0-26633400-1395744160_thumb.