Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ps3 Mkii

KPARRIS-JONES

I was happy with what I had and was sure that I was at the cutting edge of all technologies when all of a sudden, an advert for the new PS3 came onto the screen......

Before I begin to feel inadequate and a noob, could someone tell me how it is better? I know its only £250 this time which is great, but what else does it offer?

I know it's not backwards compatible with PS2 games..... so that's a big minus.... I don't know how many people upgrade from PS2 to PS3 but I expect a fair few (most will probably have upgraded already though I guess) but anyone who does now, won't be able to play their old PS2 games.

No option to run Linux either.....

Sony says:

The reasons are simple: The PS3 Slim is a major cost reduction involving many changes to hardware components in the PS3 design. In order to offer the OtherOS install, SCE would need to continue to maintain the OtherOS hypervisor drivers for any significant hardware changes - this costs SCE. One of our key objectives with the new model is to pass on cost savings to the consumer with a lower retail price. Unfortunately in this case the cost of OtherOS install did not fit with the wider objective to offer a lower cost PS3.

So they've cut costs to bring out a slimline console.....

I know it's not backwards compatible with PS2 games..... so that's a big minus.... I don't know how many people upgrade from PS2 to PS3 but I expect a fair few (most will probably have upgraded already though I guess) but anyone who does now, won't be able to play their old PS2 games.

Sony says:

The reasons are simple: The PS3 Slim is a major cost reduction involving many changes to hardware components in the PS3 design. In order to offer the OtherOS install, SCE would need to continue to maintain the OtherOS hypervisor drivers for any significant hardware changes - this costs SCE. One of our key objectives with the new model is to pass on cost savings to the consumer with a lower retail price. Unfortunately in this case the cost of OtherOS install did not fit with the wider objective to offer a lower cost PS3.

So they've cut costs to bring out a slimline console.....

:o :o :o

So I don't need to feel so bad then? :lol:

It's also 32% more energy efficient... so you are killing the planet quicker with yours :P

:lol:

It's also 32% more energy efficient... so you are killing the planet quicker with yours :P

Not as quick as the emissions from your Corolla Gaz :P ;) :lol:

Not as quick as the emissions from your Corolla Gaz :P ;) :lol:

:offtopic: :P

Maybe it won't sound like a hoover??

I was very carefull building my PC and media PC, spent a fair bit in ultra slent fans, fanless cooling etc to cut doen on horrid obtrusive fan noise... then I fire up the PS3 and all is lost!!

I also really wish it was backwards compatable with PS2 games as I don't have room for the extra console, and don't have enough RCA/Scart ports on my TV. I guess the answer is ditch my oldschool sky got sky HD via HDMi. But I refuse to pay more a month for something that should be a no cost upgrade!

I was holding one today when in Gamestation. Don't like 'em.

Look crap compared to the old ones. The top is dull instead of shiny.. Not PS2 Comptible (nor is mine, anyway..) and doesn't have touch buttons on the front anymore, it's just buttons... lol.

Aint swapping mine for a new one anyway...

O.K. extra HDD sounds nice but more energy efficient!? Not bothered!

I would be the Green Peace manager that turns up with a Cummins V12 with Holset Turbochargers...... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who'd want to? It's rubbish.

I'm happy with my original PS3, it does the job! :)

I only have to wait till the end of the month now for the release of GT5.

That will be the deciding factor to buying a PS3.

I have been waiting well over a year for this game. :o

My car was photographed 3 years ago by Sony for the game :P

The previous owner took it along to a recording / photography session.

But I won't know if its been used till the game comes out and afull list of cars / add on cars is known.

No it's not a Toyota, thats the wifes car.

Mine has a Blue oval on the front. :)

Who'd want to? It's rubbish.

I'm happy with my original PS3, it does the job! :)

Well yeah of course.... because your original PS3 does the lot and this one doesn't! :lol: :lol:

The extra HDD is nothing. It is SO easy to upgrade anyway it's a joke. I must admit I still have loads of room anyway on my standard 80gig.

I'll pick up a slimline PS3 once GT5 is finally release.

Mate of mine works at Gamestation and tells me that GT5 is penciled in for an Xmas release and they will do a GT5/Slimline Console pack too just like they did with the PS2 and GT4. Thats gonna sell at £199. - Bargain!

To be honest your best off having a Slimline PS3 and a Slinline PS2 in your livingroom and being done with it. PS2's cost nothing these days and let you play your PS1 games. So no worries.

As with anything, they cant keep backwards compatibility going forever otherwise it holds back companies from pushing the hardware boundaries forwards.

I got a load of old windows 3.1 games that simply wont run on Vista/7. So i just use a Win98 VPC. Toyota EPC doesnt run properly on Vista/7 either so i run that too in a VPC.

Speaking of which, does anything have a copy of the new version of EPC? I noticed the local parts department have a totally new program now and it looks nothing like EPC for Windows 98.

The new EPC is web-based mate.

Ah and PS3s do play PS1 games ;)