Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cruise Control For 2003 T3s ?

zulu

I have a T3 s 2003 registration. Engine Model is 1ZZ.

Is there a possibility to fit a cruise control in this model, which has been discussedd in some of the threads here?(Toyota cruise control)

I have a T3 s 2003 registration. Engine Model is 1ZZ.

Is there a possibility to fit a cruise control in this model, which has been discussedd in some of the threads here?(Toyota cruise control)

Hi Bud

I have a 55 plate T3-s 1.8 and am looking into this one at present.

I will be trying to get the airbag out again this weekend, to see if I can plug in the cruise connection.

The diesels all seem to have the connection, but I am not sure if the 1.8 petrol does.

You supposedly only need a cruise control stock and wire it in, then you have cruise - I know, it seems too simple to be true, doesn't it.

I will put up another topic thread, as soon as I find out if I can get it to work, or not.

If you find out before me, please let me know.

Cheers

If I get some time to look into that, I'll let you know.

I started this thread , if somebody can say yes or no , which will help me avoid removing steering wheel.

Also I am thinking of installing some extra cig lighter sockets behind the dash and onto the armrest and rear parking sensor as well.(I have bought the kit already)

If I get some time to look into that, I'll let you know.

I started this thread , if somebody can say yes or no , which will help me avoid removing steering wheel.

Also I am thinking of installing some extra cig lighter sockets behind the dash and onto the armrest and rear parking sensor as well.(I have bought the kit already)

Hi Zulu

If you replace your standard console, between the front seats, for the T4 or T-spirit type, there is a power supply already built in to the rear of the unit.

I got one from TDX in Manchester for £25.00 plus vat, which included the leather armrest and gives you more storage space too.

Regards

Thanks for the info Gary.

I'll look into that.

Breaking my head on how to remove the bolts for removing rear bumper.There is a long stalk projecting out .Do you know what size nut is holding rear bumper. I need to get appropriate long socket.

I'll look into that.

Breaking my head on how to remove the bolts for removing rear bumper.There is a long stalk projecting out .Do you know what size nut is holding rear bumper. I need to get appropriate long socket.

Hi. Hope this pic can help you. The nuts with the long thread seem to be 10 mm.

I'll look into that.

Thanks for the info. Will a 10mm 1/2 " deep socket is enough to do the job?

I'll look into that.

Thanks for the info. Will a 10mm 1/2 " deep socket is enough to do the job?

Ain,t sure. The thread does stick out quite a bit. Maybe worth a trip to Halfords or such like, to see if they have anything better. What i also would consider is when you are replacing the bumper cover, maybe it might be a good thing to trim those too-long threads down a tad, so a normal socket will suffice in the future. I am sure it would not affect the fixing in any way.

I measured them today. They are approximately 10mm bolts wiht stalk 42mm in length.

I can see the two bolts against the rear floor finish plate.

I read that you have four bolts to remove rear bumper.

Any idea about the other two?Do I have to remove the boot liner trims as well?

I measured them today. They are approximately 10mm bolts wiht stalk 42mm in length.

I can see the two bolts against the rear floor finish plate.

I read that you have four bolts to remove rear bumper.

Any idea about the other two?Do I have to remove the boot liner trims as well?

There is a download on another thread, with all this information (Avensis 2002 T0 2007 Manual), which you can download.

It is a winrar file, which has to be converted, so you can read the info in pdf format.

Thanks Gooli - This is an excellent download!!!

It is about 54MB, but well worth getting saved onto your PC.

The bumper removal is in the chassis and body section, under exterior and interior trim, page 15 onwards.

| am no computer wizard, so I have no idea how to attach the page to the thread, sorry.

I hope this helps

Finally. I managed to remove the rear bumper and install the rear parking sensor.

Bought from this web site www.parkingdynamics.co.uk

It was very tight to remove the bumper. Works fine.

Now time to look into cruise control.

Hope Gary (Garvensis) has found some answers to the question at the start of this thread.

Finally. I managed to remove the rear bumper and install the rear parking sensor.

Bought from this web site www.parkingdynamics.co.uk

It was very tight to remove the bumper. Works fine.

Now time to look into cruise control.

Hope Gary (Garvensis) has found some answers to the question at the start of this thread.

Hi Zulu

I got the airbag out on Saturday and there is no spare (empty) socket, to connect the cruise control in to.

There is an earlier topic with drawings and pictures on how to complete the installation, without the extra socket, which involves re-wiring one of the existing plugs.

I am sure it is on page 2 of the topic list, at present.

I am still not sure if the 1.8 petrol can actually be fitted with cruise, can any of the Guru's help out with this one?

Glad the bumper removal and refit went OK though.

I didn't have time for steering wheel dismantling.

Looking at other threads, I feel that the chances for a cruise control is very minimal.

Also I shined a light on the dash to see if there is any letters of "CRUISE". I couldn't see any.:crybaby:

I didn't have time for steering wheel dismantling.

Looking at other threads, I feel that the chances for a cruise control is very minimal.

Also I shined a light on the dash to see if there is any letters of "CRUISE". I couldn't see any.:crybaby:

Hey Zulu

I checked mine tonight and I can see the "CRIUSE" light, at the left hand side of the instrument panel, right above the seatbelt warning light.

I am sure all the instrument panels are of a generic fit on the whole range, so I am sure it will be there.

I couldn't see mine when I first checked, but if you put the torch right in against the lens, you can make it out.

Has anyone fitted cruise control to their 1.8 petrol Avensis?

Just the standard type, not an aftermarket model.

Regards

Yes Gary. I checked it again last night. It was there.

When you removed your air bag , Did you disconnect the Battery? for how long you left it , before you started dismatling?

After re assembly , did you get any dashboard warning lights?

Yes Gary. I checked it again last night. It was there.

When you removed your air bag , Did you disconnect the battery? for how long you left it , before you started dismatling?

After re assembly , did you get any dashboard warning lights?

Hi Zulu

The first time I took it out, I disconnected the '-' terminal on the Battery and left it for 1/2 an hour, before touching the airbag.

The second time, I did not disconnect the Battery, but I was very careful not to hold the Torx driver in front of my head, just in case the 'bag went off!

I did not disconnect the cables from the 'bag when I removed it, but just set it on the upper cowl of the steering wheel (put a cloth under it, or the studs in the back of the module will scratch the wheel), so there should be no problem with warning lights.

The toughest part is getting the Torx screws to recess far enough, to remove the module.

Good luck!

Thanks Gary. Did you manage to get the cruise control installed? I realy doubt that 1.8 model has a fly by wire technology.

I looked at the engine comparment. There is nothing electric linked to engine and accelerator. It's only a cable driven.

How does a fly by wire engine looks like?

May be other forum members can help with a picture of their fly by wire avensis engine and the specific components of the technolgy might help.

Thanks Gary. Did you manage to get the cruise control installed? I realy doubt that 1.8 model has a fly by wire technology.

I looked at the engine comparment. There is nothing electric linked to engine and accelerator. It's only a cable driven.

How does a fly by wire engine looks like?

May be other forum members can hep with a picture of their fly by wire avensis engine and the specific components of the technolgy might help.

Hi Zulu

I am not buying the bits, until I am positive it can be done (wife and 2 kids and all that).

If I come accross a cheap control stalk, I might try it out.

Let me know how you get on, mate.

BR

To Zulu & Garvensis,

Have come across many many diesels with C/C, which i believe works in conjunction with electonic throttle. I have never ever come across a petrol model with throttle cable throttle body/potentiometer set-up fitted to the vvti engines with C/C. Maybe one of the Toyota -Techs will pick me up on this & tell you otherwise.

Regards, Beagh.

PS, Sorry for the PM on bumper, see your sorted on second page of this thread.

To Zulu & Garvensis,

Have come across many many diesels with C/C, which i believe works in conjunction with electonic throttle. I have never ever come across a petrol model with throttle cable throttle body/potentiometer set-up fitted to the vvti engines with C/C. Maybe one of the Toyota -Techs will pick me up on this & tell you otherwise.

Regards, Beagh.

PS, Sorry for the PM on bumper, see your sorted on second page of this thread.

Cheers, Beagh

I have noticed quite a few 1.8 petrol Avensis for sale in Autotrader, with cruise control, but cannot see the stalk on the steering wheel, on any of them.

I guess we will have to sit tight and see what the technical guys come up with.

Regards

I have given up now.Check this website Gary.Might be useful for you.

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/po...er/cruiser1.htm

I checked this web site and my car . My 1.8 model doesn't have a fly by wire.

My accelarator looks exactly like the one described in the link.see the picture below.

post-82484-1254296421_thumb.jpg

Hey Zulu

I just had a look at my engine and my throttle controls are nowhere to be seen, especially not where it is on the photograph.

Things may be a bit more promising for me, but I am still not buying any bits until someone tells me that it can definitely be done.

I saw about 15 1.8VVTi petrol Avensis on Autotrader last night, all with cruise control, but when I looked at the interior photos, I could not see a cruise control stalk in any of them :-(

I am also looking at fitting some front foglights to my car, but will have to check for the wiring sockets, behind the bumper first - a job for saturday morning.

Does anyone know how much the foglight kits cost from Mr. T?

Regards

Good Luck Gary. Can you post a picture of your engine Bay with throttle wires/cables please?

I have moved on to fitting HID lamps now.

Fog Lamps - Next project after HID headlights.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links