Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Loss Of Acceleration

mickris

I wonder if anyone can pinpoint a problem for me. I have a 2002 NV D4D Turbo Diesel Rav4 and just recently for no apparent reason it will not let me accelerate, it does'nt lose power just no acceleration. If I then stop and let it tick over for a couple of minutes it clears itself and is fine.

The only other minor problem is it sometimes does'nt like starting when its hot, apart from that no other problems. Any help appreciated.

I wonder if anyone can pinpoint a problem for me. I have a 2002 NV D4D Turbo Diesel Rav4 and just recently for no apparent reason it will not let me accelerate, it does'nt lose power just no acceleration. If I then stop and let it tick over for a couple of minutes it clears itself and is fine.

The only other minor problem is it sometimes does'nt like starting when its hot, apart from that no other problems. Any help appreciated.

hello Mickris

- alternator output voltage to be tested;

- both SCVs to be tested having no removed from the HP pump;

- all el starter contacts to be degreased + clleaned + retighted.

Check the above and revert with result.

Cheers/Igor

Thanks Igor

There are no engine codes logged so I'm working blind,but as you say the SCV valves look favorite. I'll keep you posted

Mick

SCV's are very common. Also had a few with blocked fuel filters. Maybe worth checking the history as to when it was last changed?

Thanks Igor

There are no engine codes logged so I'm working blind,but as you say the SCV valves look favorite. I'll keep you posted

Mick

Mick / Igor

Hi

Any progress?

Cheers

SCV's are very common. Also had a few with blocked fuel filters. Maybe worth checking the history as to when it was last changed?

The fuel filter was changed 500 miles ago when it was serviced, I've been told by a parts man from our local Toyota dealer that it will be the SCV valves that are causing the problem, he said they are the biggest problem on the D4D engine and the problem will get worse and the SCV valves will pack up without warning.

He said the SCV vaves are £236 inc vat anyone know were I can get them any cheaper.

Cheers

The fuel filter was changed 500 miles ago when it was serviced, I've been told by a parts man from our local Toyota dealer that it will be the SCV valves that are causing the problem, he said they are the biggest problem on the D4D engine and the problem will get worse and the SCV valves will pack up without warning.

He said the SCV vaves are £236 inc vat anyone know were I can get them any cheaper.

Cheers

Yes here;

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...st&p=933948

• 2 weeks later...

Well I seem to have sorted the problem out by fitting some new SCV valves courtesy of Kingparts many thanks and many thanks to all who gave me their advice.

When I purchased this vehicle it had no history at all with it, well all I can say is the previous incumbent must have been a complete PRAT.

Things I found missing when I have gone through the vehicle are:

No anti - squeal shims in the front brakes

2 allen head bolts missing from the SVC valves ( 1 out of each) probably caused the problem in the first place.

No filters

I shudder to think what else I may find but I suppose caveat emptor applies

Well I seem to have sorted the problem out by fitting some new SCV valves courtesy of Kingparts many thanks and many thanks to all who gave me their advice.

When I purchased this vehicle it had no history at all with it, well all I can say is the previous incumbent must have been a complete PRAT.

Things I found missing when I have gone through the vehicle are:

No anti - squeal shims in the front brakes

2 allen head bolts missing from the SVC valves ( 1 out of each) probably caused the problem in the first place.

No filters

I shudder to think what else I may find but I suppose caveat emptor applies

Perhaps somebody had a go at cleaning them and left them out?

Main thing is you are sorted for now!!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links