Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fixing A Spoiler

RavmanDave

After just 19,000 miles the spoiler on my 4.3 Rav has come adrift from the tailgate on the nearside. The vehicle has never been through a carwash and never suffered any impact so the fixing does seem a little suspect. My local Toyota agent says that such a problem is not covered by the three year warranty which seems a bit odd. I would have thought that bits falling off of a car within the warranty period is indicative of some sort of manufacturing fault or weakness. They agent has, without success, applied some adhesive to the captive nut which is part of the spoiler and which is engaged by the bolt which passes through the top edge of the tailgate. Has anyone any idea about the adhesive which is used by Toyota or what may now effect a good repair.

Many thanks.

After just 19,000 miles the spoiler on my 4.3 Rav has come adrift from the tailgate on the nearside. The vehicle has never been through a carwash and never suffered any impact so the fixing does seem a little suspect. My local Toyota agent says that such a problem is not covered by the three year warranty which seems a bit odd. I would have thought that bits falling off of a car within the warranty period is indicative of some sort of manufacturing fault or weakness. They agent has, without success, applied some adhesive to the captive nut which is part of the spoiler and which is engaged by the bolt which passes through the top edge of the tailgate. Has anyone any idea about the adhesive which is used by Toyota or what may now effect a good repair.

Many thanks.

Did you ask them to attempt a repair or did they offer? If they offered to attempt the repair, then I would have though they have accepted some liability for the situation in the first place.

Depending on the adhesive they have used, they may have made it more difficult to be successful with something else. I am not familiar with the fitting arrangement but I would have thought araldite epoxy resin would do it. Don't get it in the thread of the nut though.

Good luck

The spoiler is not an accessory it is part of the original car So B******S its covered. Tell them to get it sorted or phone Toyota customer care + see what they say, But don't be fobbed off :thumbsup: Stew

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your helpful comments folks. The original Toyota dealer who said that the spoiler was not covered by the three year warranty then went on to show what an absolute crass idiot he is by telling Toyota UK Customer Care that the spoiler was a recently added accessory and that it had suffered some damage! I had to point out to Toyota that it is original equipment on an 07 XT5 and they seemed surprised but ultimately agreed. I then took the car to a different Toyota dealer who seemed to know something about the car. A new spoiler is being fitted under warranty tomorrow.

A lesson learned. ie. This 'service manager' should not be trusted with a pedal car. He knows nothing about the product range and even less about the manufacturer warranty. Is he the only one or are there other total incompetents out there?

Many thanks.

Glad to hear you got it fixed.

In case anyone else wants your earlier question answered:

Betalink K1 Adhesive is the adhesive which is used by Toyota for spoilers.

You can get it at your Toyota Dealer Parts Department or on eBay :thumbsup:

I missed this as I was on holiday but that thing is part of the car and is bolted on. Must be one of the captive bolts that is adrift.

spoiler.pdf

That's right Anchorman. Sticking the captive nut back in place is not an option so Toyota are replacing the whole spoiler unit. I just find it difficult to believe that a dealership Service Manager can say that it's a bolt-on aftermarket accessory. And we're paying £69.50 per hour to the guys who work FOR him!

That's right Anchorman. Sticking the captive nut back in place is not an option so Toyota are replacing the whole spoiler unit. I just find it difficult to believe that a dealership Service Manager can say that it's a bolt-on aftermarket accessory. And we're paying £69.50 per hour to the guys who work FOR him!

I know, they come out with garbage at times. The other day a salesman was telling a potential new owner that the 6 speed box is notchy because it is a heavy duty box!!!

They would be better to button it than feel obliged to comment.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links