Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Diesel Auto Anyone?

Mereside

HI,

Has anyone seen, got, or know where a demonstrator is located for the new Rav4 D 4Dcat SR auto.

I am interested as the old Ravs are holding their money so well it may be a good time to change but I have no idea what the diesel auto drives like. I want to see if it is a CVT, torque converter or more like the VW group DSG gearbox.

I have checked on the website and you can spec it on the 'configue your own' bit.

I also havn't found any review on it on the net although I am not that clever with googling stuff.

Ta in anticipation.

Regards

I'm sure Anchorman said it's a proper torque converter auto box.

Here's a review http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/FirstD...uto-4WD/240279/

Thanks for that Plutus.

I read the above review and it really makes me puke when they say the Freelander is a much better car, they really are the best offroader because they spend more time off road (at the dealers) than they do on the road, The Aussies have a saying, "if you want to go into the outback take a land rover, but if you want to come back again take a Toyota" :toast::yahoo: Stew... We worry about the T180 not having a spare, look what you have to do if you've got a Landrover.. See pic

scanguard002.jpg

I have the Verso 2-2D-Cat automatic which I believe is the same engine and gearbox combination as the Rav and Avensis!!

Yes its a proper torque converter and would say its okay but not having any experience of automatics its early days yet and are just getting used to it !! sometimes you feel its in the wrong gear and if you were driving a manual you would have changed up !! but I believe it learns your driving style as you use it and changes will become more natural

The first 500 miles the engine it was pretty tight but is now getting a bit looser

There is one at RRG Denton and they will let you drive it by appointment;

0161 336 7667

I am very interested in this version as the gearbox has the makings of something rather special. It is computer controlled and for instance will "self blip" when changing down. The torque converter is conventional.

FHV_auto_description.pdf

0161 336 7667

I am very interested in this version as the gearbox has the makings of something rather special. It is computer controlled and for instance will "self blip" when changing down. The torque converter is conventional.

FHV_auto_description.pdf

I hope it doesn't use microsoft software - it'll keep asking 'Are you sure' before making a gear change ;)

0161 336 7667

FHV_auto_description.pdf

I hope it doesn't use microsoft software - it'll keep asking 'Are you sure' before making a gear change ;)

Yeh or that flipping hour glass wizzing around on the dash!!!

If it is microsoft it will keep locking up, crashing and will need updating twice a week. Bill gates once had a go at the auto industry for not being reliable and it opened the fllodgates about lock-up, shut down and re-boot and the software having to be upgraded every few months.

I may give RRG a ring then to call in on Sat as 'er indoors is out all Saturday.

Although I have just been for a drive in a Lexus GS450H (second hand). It has no boot to speak of but what a piece of kit.

The problem is I think the T180 ticks all the boxes for what I need although the tyres have just had a price increase to £250 each and they need overnighting to my dealer as they do not keep one in stock. (luckily I do keep a wheel and new tyre in stock in me garage).

It may be my age but I do prefer auto's now as I do a lot of town work with my job.

Regards

I was under the impression alot of the new auto cars were coming with a CVT type gearbox. We've been told they are fantastic but have yet to drive one.

I was under the impression alot of the new auto cars were coming with a CVT type gearbox. We've been told they are fantastic but have yet to drive one.

The last CVT I drove was in a new Nissan Quest (Cashqui) and it was excellent. The one coupled to the new Valvematic in the RAV can be used with the paddle shifts to work through 7 predetermined steps. I like normal mode best!

Petrol engine gets a CVT but the diesel is a "proper" automatic but so far I've not really noticed the gear changes as I am driving gently while getting used to my new car (just down-sized from Lexus RX350)

Petrol engine gets a CVT but the diesel is a "proper" automatic but so far I've not really noticed the gear changes as I am driving gently while getting used to my new car (just down-sized from Lexus RX350)

Hi aCactus and welcome to the club.

Yes we mentioned earlier the diesel has a conventional auto and I'm very interested to follow your thoughts on everything regarding this vehicle so please keep in regular touch with us.

Incidentally has anyone see a RAV in this new 9AF "Tidal Blue" yet?

If anyone sees one can they photograph it?

Cheers. :thumbsup:

Yes we mentioned earlier the diesel has a conventional auto and I'm very interested to follow your thoughts on everything regarding this vehicle so please keep in regular touch with us.

Try this Anchs.. although i don't know if it gives you a great idea of the colour think your hankering after one of these.. :thumbsup: Go for it mate!!

HERE

Try this Anchs.. although i don't know if it gives you a great idea of the colour think your hankering after one of these.. :thumbsup: Go for it mate!!

HERE

Stew

It actually looks grey on my computer but thanks for trying anyway.

I might change it but the trouble is that mine is pretty well mint and low mileage. I will look at the XTR, SR and petrol auto and then decide when I have seen them all. I really fancy an auto but the XTR is really good on fuel/emmissions etc. A lot will depend on what I can get for mine and just how much better the new one feels. I won;t just change it for the sake of it - there has to be something special, As you know mine has had double servicing and all the mods and warranty fixes applicable so I'm not desperate :thumbsup:

Over weekend I was playing with a Meguires clay kit I got from the USA and it is just astonishing who deep ans smooth the finish is. Nieghbours think I'm nuts keep feeling my car!

.... Nieghbours think I'm nuts keep feeling my car!

I have met you.... you are nuts :wacko: ;) :lol:

I guess it depends where the tide is coming in - South of France or Southend :unsure:

.... Nieghbours think I'm nuts keep feeling my car!

I have met you.... you are nuts :wacko: ;) :lol:

Clean though isn't it???

;)

Nieghbours think I'm nuts keep feeling my car!

Watched a minskirted babe repeatedly stroking the wing of a vintage racing Aston at the Goodwood revival a couple of weeks ago - now that's an image I prefer to have etched on my memory :wub:

Watched a minskirted babe repeatedly stroking the wing of a vintage racing Aston at the Goodwood revival a couple of weeks ago - now that's an image I prefer to have etched on my memory :wub:

Which is fine for you, but for the rest of us do you have any photos? :D

P.S. Anchs also has a bit of a thing about vibrating petrol pumps as well.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

my thinking is that the petrol auto looks a better bet. With the optional Nav. a lot cheaper than the diesel auto, and none of the extra spec on the diesel is any use to me... It also has pretty good economy and emissions.

BUT, there doesn't appear to be a sunroof option anymore!

HERE

Stew

I might change it but the trouble is that mine is pretty well mint and low mileage. I will look at the XTR, SR and petrol auto and then decide when I have seen them all. I really fancy an auto but the XTR is really good on fuel/emmissions etc. A lot will depend on what I can get for mine and just how much better the new one feels. I won;t just change it for the sake of it - there has to be something special, As you know mine has had double servicing and all the mods and warranty fixes applicable so I'm not desperate :thumbsup:

Over weekend I was playing with a Meguires clay kit I got from the USA and it is just astonishing who deep ans smooth the finish is. Nieghbours think I'm nuts keep feeling my car!

OK Anchs try HERE this is Toyotas own site obviously click on Tidal blue to see it in your color, also on here somewhere you can build yourown car with accesories + view it from all angles, well at least you can in the dealers :unsure: Stew

P.S. Anchs also has a bit of a thing about vibrating petrol pumps as well.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Or diesel but it doesn't last long enough when I'm not filling the company BMW.

Afraid I was so mesmerised I didn't have the presence of mind to take a snap however, here's one for you to be going along with:DSC_6590A-1.jpg

And another braceDSC_6560.jpg

Three Minis:DSC_6628.jpg

And which one has your number?DSC_6558.jpg

As it happens my car is Tidal Blue.............

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links