Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2004 Avensis Rear Disc Won't Come Off!

Luke-v

AAARRRGHHH!!!!

I replaced the front discs a few months ago and it was a doddle. Doing the rears today and all went well removing the hanger and piston assembly until I reached the part where I remove the disc.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

No problem, had this on every disc I've replaced. Gave a few (read lots) of wallops with the hammer to loosen it. Still nothing. Ok, no problem I've not had before. Put two bolts into the holes and gradually tightened them on both sides.

What I noticed was the disc was being evenly moved away from the hub, but the thin metal plate thingies (good technical term eh?) were moving away from the disc and hub in the opposite direction.

Having got underneath with a torch I can see two thin rods from the thin plate thingies (there it is again) going into the hub and seeming attached to the disc itself - can't verify this, but it's all I can assume.

These pins don't seem to have a head on them to loosen or remove, and I can't see how to detach them.

Have I missed something fundamental? (or rather what fundamental step have I missed?)

The car is up on axle stands at present, and I was so... erm.. vigorous with my hammering, I don't think refitting pads to that disc is an option any more :-(

Any help would really be appreciated!!!

AAARRRGHHH!!!!

I replaced the front discs a few months ago and it was a doddle. Doing the rears today and all went well removing the hanger and piston assembly until I reached the part where I remove the disc.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

No problem, had this on every disc I've replaced. Gave a few (read lots) of wallops with the hammer to loosen it. Still nothing. Ok, no problem I've not had before. Put two bolts into the holes and gradually tightened them on both sides.

What I noticed was the disc was being evenly moved away from the hub, but the thin metal plate thingies (good technical term eh?) were moving away from the disc and hub in the opposite direction.

Having got underneath with a torch I can see two thin rods from the thin plate thingies (there it is again) going into the hub and seeming attached to the disc itself - can't verify this, but it's all I can assume.

These pins don't seem to have a head on them to loosen or remove, and I can't see how to detach them.

Have I missed something fundamental? (or rather what fundamental step have I missed?)

The car is up on axle stands at present, and I was so... erm.. vigorous with my hammering, I don't think refitting pads to that disc is an option any more :-(

Any help would really be appreciated!!!

Hi Luke you are doing everything right it seems but i think the handbrake shoes inside the disc are holding the disc on due to the wear lip inside you may have to take some adjustment off the handbrake through the holes in disc (see diagram) and maybe the cable to get the disc/drum off. I have attatched a diagram of the rear brakes for you to study hope this is of some help.post-74463-1254661671_thumb.jpg :thumbsup:

Regards and good luck .... Pete.

Thanks Pete, that's really helpful.

Any idea if it is a torx, allen, philips or flathead for adjusting that? Also will be it be clockwise or anticlockwise to slacken it off?

Cheers

Ok, I'm stumped.

I've removed the rubber bung and looking into the hole with a torch I can see a hole but there is nothing within to adjust.

The shoe adjuster is a small toothed wheel. Just adjust it with a flat head screwdriver up or down. You will know if its the wrong way as the shoes will adjust up inside the disc and the disc wont spin. If this is the case just adjust it the opposite way as much as you can and remove the disc.

Mart.

Bugger, then it's not visible. I take it that it's possible to put the disc on in the wrong position so that the adjustment wheel isn't visible?

I think this may be the case as there is no small toothed wheel visible.

Now I'm in a position where I need to adjust the wheel to remove the disc, but need to remove the disc to get to the wheel.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Bugger, then it's not visible. I take it that it's possible to put the disc on in the wrong position so that the adjustment wheel isn't visible?

Now I'm in a position where I need to adjust the wheel to remove the disc, but need to remove the disc to get to the wheel.

If you have taken the rubber bung out then you must have a hole there. Turn the disc until the hole is at the bottom and the adjuster will be inside. It mihgt not be right there in your face but its there.

Mart.

Luke,

any chance of an update on your progress after all the info we gave to you .... did you complete the job? :unsure: