Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre Pressures

Flex

If I have aftermarket 215/35/18 wheels, will the tyre pressures on my '00 Avensis be the same as standard 32psi?

If I have aftermarket 215/35/18 wheels, will the tyre pressures on my '00 Avensis be the same as standard 32psi?

You need expert advice on with this one as it is a long way from a standard size on your car, personally 32 psi would be my minimum on your size but I would go with 35 psi all round.

The rolling radius should also be the same as your originals to keep your speedo correct, if you have a Toyota dealer nearby who supplies the Toyota Motorsport parts range they maybe the best people for advice.

Just out of interest what does it handle like with this setup on.

Regards Pete.

You need expert advice on this one with as it is a long way from a standard size on your car, personally 32 psi would be my minimum on your size but I would go with 35 psi all round.

The rolling radius should also be the same as your originals to keep your speedo correct, if you have a Toyota dealer nearby who supplies the Toyota Motorsport parts range they maybe the best people for advice.

Just out of interest what does it handle like with this setup on.

Regards Pete.

I'm going to check the PSI today to see what they are at, because since buying them a couple of months ago the handling has improved constantly.

But yeah, I only have budget tyres on compared to the Michelins I had on my old wheels and the improvements are very much notciable, so God knows how nice it ouldl be to drive with Toyos on.

Hi,

Regardless of tyre pressure you will need to use 10mm spacers, otherwise the tyres will rub.

I tried to fit 225/40/18 Y94 to mine & I would need to fit 20mm spacers for it to be a comfortable fit, without rubbing on the rears. Never tried it on the front. But I think it could damage a wheel bearing or worse on 225mm. I think your 215mm with 10mm spacer will be fine though.

If anybody can advise if the 225mm with 20mm spacers will work, please advise.

Cheers,

Marv

Hi,

Regardless of tyre pressure you will need to use 10mm spacers, otherwise the tyres will rub.

I tried to fit 225/40/18 Y94 to mine & I would need to fit 20mm spacers for it to be a comfortable fit, without rubbing on the rears. Never tried it on the front. But I think it could damage a wheel bearing or worse on 225mm. I think your 215mm with 10mm spacer will be fine though.

If anybody can advise if the 225mm with 20mm spacers will work, please advise.

Cheers,

Marv

I'm not having any problems with rubbing, they were fitted nearly 2 months ago... I was just double checking on tyre pressures.

What does the tyre look like, is the sidewall flexing a lot when sitting?

Thing is, you will get great handling on slightly under-inflated tyres from what the manufacturer states. My garage use 32psi on all tyres despite what the handbook says. In my diesel the weight distribution is 60/40 so it is logical that the fronts have 20% more psi than the rears and thats what the handbook states, 38psi.

My point is, when i drive on 32psi all the way round the handling is better, because of the more surface area in contact with the road but the sidewall flexing can make the tyre's life shorter and give un-even wear.

Surely your fronts should be about 35/36psi.

Every time I have ever fitted bigger wheels to a car and asked advice its been different, so in the end i just tried different pressures until it felt right!

As a guide I always ended up eith them on the softer side!

David

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links