Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Display

sprainming

My first go on IQ forum and I see a few old posts on this problem but think it may be worth re-opening.

We bought our manual IQ2 in June and have been watching the average mpg display carefully.

First surprise was how it only resets itself when you refuel - what bright spark thought that one up! I want to reset when I decide.

Next, driving it carefully, I watched the average figure rise to 60.0 and no more!

Then I set it to instant mpg and even coasting downhill, it never got above 60.0.

So I spoke to the dealer and after checking the other IQs in the showroom he said they all max out at 60.0

So I phoned Toyota Customer Service and after a long wait they said it was a problem they were aware of and they were trying to find a solution. They advised me to keep checking with the dealer to see if a mod had been issued.

How ironic that one of the few cars with stated mpg above 60 has this fault !

Anyone had the same experience ?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnan

• mudsplatIQ

• ordeology

• MD1

I have the IQ(3) and that only goes to 60mpg, only when coasting thou. So its still a problem.

I'm averaging:

50mpg on Adsa's unleaded

54mpg on tescos super unleaded

Yet to try Shells super unleaded or what ever they call it. Thats the next fill up.

mmmm... puzzling. i was wondering why it didn't go over 60. i thought it had something to do with the breaking in stage. suppose it's a trip back to the dealer if they manage to find a fix although my suspicion is that they found out about the 60 limit at too late a stage before the car's release. i mean it's a bit obvious to overlook in a car so concientiously designed for fuel economy and eco-driving.

My first go on IQ forum and I see a few old posts on this problem but think it may be worth re-opening.

We bought our manual IQ2 in June and have been watching the average mpg display carefully.

First surprise was how it only resets itself when you refuel - what bright spark thought that one up! I want to reset when I decide.

Next, driving it carefully, I watched the average figure rise to 60.0 and no more!

Then I set it to instant mpg and even coasting downhill, it never got above 60.0.

So I spoke to the dealer and after checking the other IQs in the showroom he said they all max out at 60.0

So I phoned Toyota Customer Service and after a long wait they said it was a problem they were aware of and they were trying to find a solution. They advised me to keep checking with the dealer to see if a mod had been issued.

How ironic that one of the few cars with stated mpg above 60 has this fault !

Anyone had the same experience ?

Think they all do it from what i remember. I run a scangauge and get in the 70's when crusing in 6th gear. Average mpg is about 2 mpg higher than the cars display. The instant mpg figure agrees with the car display until 60. All based on iq3 spec.

• 2 weeks later...

They all got it - probably be easy enough to fix the software, its all plug and play stuff these days, maybe by the time we get our first service it'll be sorted :)

• 2 weeks later...

We've just taken delivery of our IQ2 and its happily registering over 60mpg average on the clock, and the instant goes all the way up to 99

We've just taken delivery of our IQ2 and its happily registering over 60mpg average on the clock, and the instant goes all the way up to 99

Sounds like it might be fixed now. I hope they can apply this retrospectively....I want to see 99mpg on my readout!

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like it might be fixed now. I hope they can apply this retrospectively....I want to see 99mpg on my readout!

For those with UK iQ's with the 60mpg maximum fuel consumption readout problem (not a problem in later cars) , in case you have not heard, there is now a fix which I had done on my iQ today.

The odometer has reverted to 0 miles (plus the mileage home from the dealer), so it looks like the "fix" is to change the display unit, and not just a software update.Although I suppose a software update could zero everything.

The service lady said the dashboard would need to come off so it must be quite involved.

For those with UK iQ's with the 60mpg maximum fuel consumption readout problem (not a problem in later cars) , in case you have not heard, there is now a fix which I had done on my iQ today.

The odometer has reverted to 0 miles (plus the mileage home from the dealer), so it looks like the "fix" is to change the display unit, and not just a software update.Although I suppose a software update could zero everything.

The service lady said the dashboard would need to come off so it must be quite involved.

friend what do you mean with later cars?got the wifes in sept and it is sitting at 60 mpg

friend what do you mean with later cars?got the wifes in sept and it is sitting at 60 mpg

You know as much as I do...I got mine in February and the mpg display was faulty....Faye (see post above) got an iQ in November and the mpg display is OK.

Therefore, sometime between February and November things were rectified, nearer to November, hence "later".

Dealers will know which vin numbers are affected, and yours seems to be one of them.

I was trying to be helpful to those who have been waiting for the word that the fix is now available.

picked mine up just over a week ago and that stops at 60. Why Mr T does not put out some blurb on this, whats goiing on, is there a fix?

But the car is fantastic. Done 350 miles 49 mpg done 1 fill up (gauge flashing then went back to 2 bars then flashing again thought I should fill up took 29.01 litres I think cut that a bit fine) These are little nigles that should not cloud the enjoyment of the whole picture!! Even taken the misus and twins in back, it is amasing how much room there is :rolleyes::rolleyes:

You know as much as I do...I got mine in February and the mpg display was faulty....Faye (see post above) got an iQ in November and the mpg display is OK.

Therefore, sometime between February and November things were rectified, nearer to November, hence "later".

Dealers will know which vin numbers are affected, and yours seems to be one of them.

I was trying to be helpful to those who have been waiting for the word that the fix is now available.

thanks mate

I only just purchased my IQ on 1st December 2009 and the max 60 mpg issue still exists. Can you please give me details of the Toyota dealer that sorted you out? My local Toyota dealer has replied that Toyota are working on the problem and are not giving me a fix.

I only just purchased my IQ on 1st December 2009 and the max 60 mpg issue still exists. Can you please give me details of the Toyota dealer that sorted you out? My local Toyota dealer has replied that Toyota are working on the problem and are not giving me a fix.

In my case, I reported the problem to my dealer in February, he checked and found the other cars at the dealership had the same problem.

A couple of weeks ago someone on the forum said they had a new iQ with a trip computer that was working normally, so I wrote to the main Toyota Customer Relations people asking if there was now a "fix" for earlier cars.

Two days later a lady from customer services rang me to say there was indeed a part available now to repair earlier cars, and she said she would inform my dealer who would order the part and call me to get it fitted...which is what happened, last week.

If your dealer is unaware of the repair then perhaps you could contact Customer Relations:

Customer Relations

Toyota GB plc

Great Burgh

Burgh Heath

Epsom

Surrey KT18 5UX

Tel:- 01737 367600

Fax:- 01737 367721

It wasn't ever a problem, it just worked! Got mine from Lookers Toyota in Chelmsford - can't the fault them they are great as far as I'm concerned.

Hi Johnan,

Do you have more information about the part? Do you have a part no.? Or a case number for Customer Relations?

Neither my dealer (Basingstoke) or Customer Relations seem to be aware of the issue, nevermind the fix.

Any further details would be appreciated...

Thanks,

In my case, I reported the problem to my dealer in February, he checked and found the other cars at the dealership had the same problem.

A couple of weeks ago someone on the forum said they had a new iQ with a trip computer that was working normally, so I wrote to the main Toyota Customer Relations people asking if there was now a "fix" for earlier cars.

Two days later a lady from customer services rang me to say there was indeed a part available now to repair earlier cars, and she said she would inform my dealer who would order the part and call me to get it fitted...which is what happened, last week.

If your dealer is unaware of the repair then perhaps you could contact Customer Relations:

Customer Relations

Toyota GB plc

Great Burgh

Burgh Heath

Epsom

Surrey KT18 5UX

Tel:- 01737 367600

Fax:- 01737 367721

Hi

My car is booked in to have the mpg computer fixed. There is a problem with it my dealer made a call to toyota. I think a new computer needs to be fiited. I purchased my car in october 2009.

Also at the same time they are sorting out the 2nd gear notch.

Hope this helps

Went to my dealer today and she said they haven't been told of a fix yet they weren't even aware of the problem and said that it would have to be absolutely perfect driving conditions to achieve +60mpg... She checked the toyota technical thing and said they haven't got a fix on there either... So what do i do?

Hi

My dealer made the call to toyota technical who said there is a new computer to be fitted, they are ordering the part so there is a problem. I dont understand why your dealer is saying that. I would ask them to investigate further and may be look at some of the forums. My dealer looked at the forums.

All Toyota dealers will have acess to all the tech. details on all the cars in the range so what one dealer knows all the others should as well. If Toyota have sold several thousand Iq's in this country and the fix is a part not software download then they have to have these parts made (as well as for the models on production lie)and this may take a while....maybee dealers are making excuses as the parts are not available. Perhaps they should say there is a fault and it will be fixed at the next service. :rolleyes:

OK guys - the waiting is over - I have the official part number for you all in order to get that max readout of 60 mpg fixed - the part number is... (drum roll) ... 83800-74081.

This is all thanks to Toyota customer relations and a bit of persistence.

As a return favour - can you please find out what the part number is for the notchy 2nd gear mentioned in this post - although I have not been driving my IQ for long - I do believe perhaps this is a problem on mine also.

Anyone else care to chip in on any other problems they have had solved? Might as well iron them all out now.

Anyone else care to chip in on any other problems they have had solved? Might as well iron them all out now.

not solved but has anyone else had the rear spoiler fitted and their rear wiper hits it??? My dealer is looking into why I have this problem!! Answers on a postcard?!?!?!

Cheers