Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mpg Display

sprainming

Went to my dealer today and she said they haven't been told of a fix yet they weren't even aware of the problem and said that it would have to be absolutely perfect driving conditions to achieve +60mpg... She checked the toyota technical thing and said they haven't got a fix on there either... So what do i do?

Just had new clock fitted on mine today :-) now reading 64 on the average mpg, was stuck on 60 all the time.

Instant mpg goes upto 99.9

I get good mpg out of mine, I work shifts and dont trive in peak traffic much and dont stop in intraffic jams very often.

I bought a ex demo with sat nav fitted :-)

My dealer said Toyota are not broadcasting this mod, so be persistent with your dealer if they say its not available, my toyota dealer are great.

Steve

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnan

• mudsplatIQ

• Devil-ish

• elvyn

Hi,

Just a quick question.does having the new part fitted mean that the odometer reading reset back to zero?,

& if so does did your dealer log this in your service manual?????.

Oh also do you have a PART No if possible..

Many thanks

Mr Dave..... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just my update on this.

I took my IQ(1) in for this to be rectified, I told the dealer about the mpg display problem (which they weren't aware of) and gave them the part number 83800-74081 as previously mentioned on this thread.

They still had to have it in for an actual "diagnosis" by their mechanics first, but then they ordered the part and it's been fitted today.

Now happily registering instant mpg to 99.9mpg.

And yes, the odometer has gone back to 1 mile :)

:D :D took my new iq for a little spin over to the in laws today its about 140 round trip ,a few hills half dozen traffic lights round abouts etc managed 63 mpg average,not bad as i have yet to do a 1000 miles in the little thing very happy :D :D

I have to say it doesn't bother me mine only going upto 60mpg , but the second gear notch does catch me sometimes and can be slightly annoying, but mine only has 140 miles on the clock! So I will give it time to bed in first. Best part of the car for me is the 3ft in front and 5 ft behind me when parking. Top car

• 2 weeks later...

Had the 2nd gear notch problem sorted (as per the technical bulletin) and now all gears are lovely!!!

re: new speedo unit to fix the MPG issue - Dealer (Basingstoke) says that because it's not actually a "fault", warranty wouldn't cover it and would cost @ £500 to sort out!!!!

Had the 2nd gear notch problem sorted (as per the technical bulletin) and now all gears are lovely!!!

re: new speedo unit to fix the MPG issue - Dealer (Basingstoke) says that because it's not actually a "fault", warranty wouldn't cover it and would cost @ £500 to sort out!!!!

Strange...Customer relations (Head Office, UK) regard it as a fault and it IS fixed under warranty.Certainly in my case and others I have read of in this forum.

Hull John Roe have ordered the mpg thingy (hehehe) for me and will be fitting in due course............................. :yahoo:

My Toyota dealer has kindly upgraded the computer so it now reads up to 99.9 mpg - but it looks as if they haven't quite wired it up correctly because the new computer display is very bright in a distracting sort of way - especially evident when driving in the dark - I will contact them back to see what they can do.....

You can adjust the brightness of the display by yourself.

Take a look in your Owners Manual?

From memory I think you cycle round until the display shows a series of dashes ----- -- -- etc

The number of dashes is representative of how bright the display is.

So I've heard it mentioned that when people have had the new speedo unit fitted, the odometer has been reset... if this is the case, it's not good!?!

yep my speedo has been reset to 0 - however in the service manual there is a section where any odometer changes can be noted by the dealer and my dealer filled this in to confirm the true mileage.

My first go on IQ forum and I see a few old posts on this problem but think it may be worth re-opening.

We bought our manual IQ2 in June and have been watching the average mpg display carefully.

First surprise was how it only resets itself when you refuel - what bright spark thought that one up! I want to reset when I decide.

Next, driving it carefully, I watched the average figure rise to 60.0 and no more!

Then I set it to instant mpg and even coasting downhill, it never got above 60.0.

So I spoke to the dealer and after checking the other IQs in the showroom he said they all max out at 60.0

So I phoned Toyota Customer Service and after a long wait they said it was a problem they were aware of and they were trying to find a solution. They advised me to keep checking with the dealer to see if a mod had been issued.

How ironic that one of the few cars with stated mpg above 60 has this fault !

Anyone had the same experience ?

['pterostigma' ' jan 2010 21.13' '935579']

yep -fuel consumption is better on my car than 45 but if you're coasting and only going to 60 it will bring the average down won't it? What a rubbish design! On my Yaris, if I coast the instant fule consumption is 99-point proved I believe. A little bit of inside info is that your car needs a head unit changeout-it can't be altered by a plug and play laptop. Mine's going in for a service next week at a main agent so I will see what transpires. I understand that on one of the forums is a part unit number-can't find it myself-if anyone does please add to this thread

I spoke to Toyota Swindon, today reference a squeaking handbrake. I then casually mentioned that "the MPG display doesn't go to" and the lady on the Service desk said "over 60?" and then said its a known fault and they would order in a replacement part for when mine goes in for the squeaking handbrake investigation. I didnt have any sort of discussion, it was almost as if she was waiting for me to say it!

Going in next Thursday to have this part fitted!! (they say we are the only IQ they have had to do this on and have never done it before!!)

At same time will look AGAIN to find out why we have a 'rumbling' noise .......watch this space!!! :rolleyes:

just wondering, if they make a note of the milage in the book and the car is reset, doesnt that mean you just wait until the last month of your warrenty, get it it changed for the working unit, have the milage set at zero, get the book filled in, get your 1st MOT done showing zero or maybe a few thousand miles, accidently lose the book and sell the car as basically new just saying "i only drive to the shops once a week in it, sorry, i lost the book, im really careless like that!" and sell it with a fake milage that the MOT confirms is true????? Just adjust this a few thousand miles to make it look realistic and jobs a good'un. I MUST SAY THIS OF COURSE IS ILLEGAL OBVIUOSLY but am thinking about people buying second hand iq cars in the future. I know there would be obvious signs a 30k milage car would have of wear if it said 1k on the computer but think in say 5 years when a car that should have done 10k per year (so 50k should be on display but it says 20k and was kept in a nice condition i dont think i could tell them apart. I think toyota needs to be re-setting the milage on the new unit to stop this. Its easy enough on the correct computer im sure.

Even all above board and legal, when you sell a car i would be put off buying one that hade more milage than the gauge shows. Will this have a knock on effect on the iq value?

I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR I AM NOT ENDORSING THIS, DO NOT DO THIS AND GENERALLY WISH NOBODY TO EVER DO THIS AND DONT WANT ANYBODY TO TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY i just wanted to raise an issue that may be arrising.

just wondering, if they make a note of the milage in the book and the car is reset, doesnt that mean you just wait until the last month of your warrenty, get it it changed for the working unit, have the milage set at zero, get the book filled in, get your 1st MOT done showing zero or maybe a few thousand miles, accidently lose the book and sell the car as basically new just saying "i only drive to the shops once a week in it, sorry, i lost the book, im really careless like that!" and sell it with a fake milage that the MOT confirms is true????? Just adjust this a few thousand miles to make it look realistic and jobs a good'un. I MUST SAY THIS OF COURSE IS ILLEGAL OBVIUOSLY but am thinking about people buying second hand iq cars in the future. I know there would be obvious signs a 30k milage car would have of wear if it said 1k on the computer but think in say 5 years when a car that should have done 10k per year (so 50k should be on display but it says 20k and was kept in a nice condition i dont think i could tell them apart. I think toyota needs to be re-setting the milage on the new unit to stop this. Its easy enough on the correct computer im sure.

Even all above board and legal, when you sell a car i would be put off buying one that hade more milage than the gauge shows. Will this have a knock on effect on the iq value?

I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR I AM NOT ENDORSING THIS, DO NOT DO THIS AND GENERALLY WISH NOBODY TO EVER DO THIS AND DONT WANT ANYBODY TO TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY i just wanted to raise an issue that may be arrising.

I would sincerely hope that Toyota would register any mileage changes with the DVLA. Come MOT time this would show up on the test centers computer as all MOT stations are now linked to the DVLA. In fact I am pretty sure that MOT certificates are now issued directly from the DVLA :)

I would have thought the sensible thing to do would be for Toyota to say we will only make this adjustment on cars that have done under 1000 miles, like put a limit on it but I guess they haven't done that.

Im not going to get mine changed as I don't want that hassle in the future and it doesn't bother me that it doesn't go past 60. Sounds weird but the MPG was not the selling point for the car for me! So ill just leave it

:rolleyes:

Went to my dealer today and she said they haven't been told of a fix yet they weren't even aware of the problem and said that it would have to be absolutely perfect driving conditions to achieve +60mpg... She checked the toyota technical thing and said they haven't got a fix on there either... So what do i do?

:rolleyes: Summarising various forum inputs and my own experience:

1-Make an appointment to see your service manager-don't be fobbed off on the phone or enter into heavy discussion

2-Quote a dealer that has already done this mod-e.g. John Roe Toyota at Hull.

3-Take the guy out for a drive and have your mode set on instant mpg. He will see that when you take your foot off the accelerator, the mpg will only rise to 60. Then ask him to take you out in any NEW IQ with the same test and the mpg will rise to 99.9. The point is then proved. In effect your car in giving you good fuel consumption but not showing it.

If the instant mpg doesn't register the 99.9 this has the knock on effect of making your average look poor.

4-Tell him that fitting item code 83800-74081 is the cure (this is done under warranty)

5-Any problems, ask to speak to Toyota Customer Service UK BEFORE you leave the garage.

Its a shame you've had trouble as my dealer has been fully co-operative-hope this helps

45mins work by technician and I now have 99.9 on my read out......oh and its gone zero miles hehe........................

I've had mine done in Swansea about 2 weeks ago on the third attempt. First two attempts they didn't have the part in stock. They also asked on the phone to make sure that I had the log book so that they could make a note in it, but they didn't leave anything at all to say how much miles it was showing (not entirely sure myself, think it was around the 10500 mark).

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my new Black IQ3 today (10 plate). Very pleased with it but I just thought I would let you know that the MPG display on it only goes to 60 not 99.9 when you take your foot off the accelerator.

Therefore they are not rectifying this fault on new models in the pipeline.

I will be contacting my dealer tommorrow to try and get this sorted.

Thanks, Pieman99.