• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• johnan

• mudsplatIQ

• ordeology

• MD1

Had the 2nd gear notch problem sorted (as per the technical bulletin) and now all gears are lovely!!!

re: new speedo unit to fix the MPG issue - Dealer (Basingstoke) says that because it's not actually a "fault", warranty wouldn't cover it and would cost @ £500 to sort out!!!!

Strange...Customer relations (Head Office, UK) regard it as a fault and it IS fixed under warranty.Certainly in my case and others I have read of in this forum.

Sorry but whereabouts are the technical bulletins for the IQ, I also have a dodgy 2nd gear and would like to refer to that bulletin if possible?

Just had both the MPg and gearbox issues sorted by Howards in Weston-super-Mare.

The gears thing is just adjusting the 2 cables, this should have been done before delivery to the dealer but weren't. The MPG readout is a new trip computer as it needs new software. Both done, no problems big gold star for the service guys!

Kate

Just a thought, will you ever get better than a 60mpg average without the new computer module ? ie. does it affect the average mpg figures or just the instant mpg ones ? I've only managed 57mpg average so far (1 litre manual IQ2 with 7500 miles about) but I've only recently (£1.20 a litre !!) started driving more slowly.

Cheers,

Paulk

• 1 month later...

I have just taken my car for it's 1st service. Asked that they look at the 60mpg problem. Went to pick up and they said it was normal and they could get a sales person over to talk to me. Everything else was fine. Should I just live with it ( it's not a big deal but it does niggle me a bit) or is there anything I can do to get it sortrd?

I have just taken my car for it's 1st service. Asked that they look at the 60mpg problem. Went to pick up and they said it was normal and they could get a sales person over to talk to me. Everything else was fine. Should I just live with it ( it's not a big deal but it does niggle me a bit) or is there anything I can do to get it sortrd?

Many cars had/have this problem but it is not "normal", in that it is regarded as a fault.

Some months ago I wrote to Toyota Customer Relations asking if the 60mpg limit was correct and a lady rang me back saying it is a known "fault" and the part to repair it is now available, and she then rang my local MrT and arranged for the new unit to be fitted.

Previous replies in this thead list the part number of the new part.

Quote this to your dealership or contact customer relations and tell them what is going on.

I went to see Mr. T last Saturday and the service reception manager I spoke to previously told me the part numbers were all ok and I could book the car in anytime to have it sorted out. I'll schedule that in the next month when we put Peanut in for her first service. Seeing that they have to open up her visceral entrails to do the replacement they might as well fix the !Removed! irritating rattle emanating from the passenger-side air vent as well. Oh, and I'll ask them to fit the iPod integration kit while they're in there.

Is the same problem present on cars set to metric measurement (km)?

• 1 year later...

hi, i have got an iq2 brand new with manual 1.0 which has only done about 200 miles now. but i dont understand why i get only a maximum of 36mpg since i filled up. is there any one on the forum that could help me tell if this is right. cause every where on this forum i see people getting more then at least 40mpg.

Are you doing just short jaunts where the engine has not warmed up before stopping again?

You might well need to drive differently as far as revs and gear changing compared to previous vehicles

to get the fuel economy that the car will bew able to achieve.

But basically,

Your brakes need a few hundred miles to wear off the pads a little and things to loosen up.

tyres wear in, hand brake cable stretch a little, just generally everything including engine and drive train to loosen up.

1000 plus miles will see a MPG improvement i would imagine.

Do you know how to re-set the AVG MPG & reset the Mileometer counter?

You need to be putting in more than 10 litres to get a reset of your fuel use.

In actual practice this may be nearer 12 litres (2 1/2 gallons or so.)

Worth reading fully the Owners Handbook,

on the things like running in & gaining best economy.

george

Hi

It seem to me that the IQ can be seen like fine instrument. To get the best mpg you need to drive with care and stay focused. I have learned a lot since I bought my used IQ2 in about 5 weeks drom now. I drove it home from the dealer approx 150 miles mostly extra urban at 52mpg.

After that I use the Instant mpg on the trip computer and catch a glimpse onit every now and then. This has resulted in an urban consumption of approx 56mpg and last weekend me and my fiance took a 600mile trip (back and fourth) wich ended in 69mpg. From that trip I also I found out that the IQ is very fuel efficient at around 50miles/h.

My advices are:

- use the instant mpg to learn mpg at different speeds, gears and iclines.

- use the gear change sign and high gears. Its e.g. no problem to drive on flat road at 31 miles /h on fifth gear.

- on flat road, slightly loose the accelerator pedal. This often work without loosing speed. At the same time, check instant mpg and see how it reacts.

- read eco driving info and practice. Its fun and the IQ is good tool and will gve a lot back!

To sum up, I think the IQ is not the only solution if you want to cut the fuel bills. It has to be combined with theory and practice on how to drive the IQ. On the other hand, it will then reward you during the learning, and will then be the right tool for really good mpg figures, at or very close to the official mpg figures!

Best regards

Jon

Nice comments Jon, makes a lot of sense. I admit, when we got our 1.0 manual iQ it meant quite a change in driving style. I think both my wife and I have adapted rather well to it and enjoy getting the best from it with regards to fuel consumption. It has made driving interesting again, and the extra concentration helps too. Other cars can be boring, but not the iQ.

Hi thanks all for the help. i have just done a 20miles journey last weekend and got 49mpg and that is my brother driving not even me so not sure how he drove but did improve the mpg. I been driving the car since then and the mpg has not dropped more then 39mpg. so i think driving in town is not that efficient for me then driving long distance. saying that i do only 5-8miles a day and that all town driving. I am gonna let the car settle in a bit more and then see how it reacts after that. i will keep you all posted with what happens. THANKS to all who has helped. :beer:

elt96jlm - some great advice there on watching the current mpg figure. Thats what I do and it helps massively to know what mpg your getting in different gears.

We're averaging 60+mpg but I travel 17miles of motorway to work every evening and she travels to uni which is a steady pace. You'll get there Im sure. Driving the IQ is like taking your test again!

I have to admit to not trying -yet- that method of watching the mpg. I guess it's best when you're at a steady speed, and will help understand how to get more from the car's already great mpg. Definitely going to give that a go. The less I have to spend on fuel -and most importantly the fuel duty to the dear old Gov- the better. By the way, did you know that all transport ministers are advised by one man? His name is ................................. ***** (Richard) Turpin! The Highway Robber lives!

:2guns: