Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Buying Guide - Rav4 Xt5 56 Plate

slimbloke

My predictable question is:

I'm taking a 2nd look and (motorway) test drive of a 2006 Rav-4 2.2 D-4D XT5 5dr with all options, and wondered if there any specific things I should check/re-check, questions to ask or known recalls/issues to point out?

Thanks in advance - hopefully I'll be posting here more often if all goes well :)

__

I have (honestly) tried for half an hour to use the search and I'm sure it must exists somewhere, but if anyone can either link me to it, or help, I'd be most grateful :)

I'm taking a 2nd look and (motorway) test drive of a 2006 Rav-4 2.2 D-4D XT5 5dr with all options, and wondered if there any specific things I should check/re-check, questions to ask or known recalls/issues to point out?

Thanks in advance - hopefully I'll be posting here more often if all goes well :)

__

I have (honestly) tried for half an hour to use the search and I'm sure it must exists somewhere, but if anyone can either link me to it, or help, I'd be most grateful :)

hello mate

Welcome to the forum !

all you need to read this rav dept thru briefly and you'll find all typical issues for diesel powered ravs/

Wait for another posts from diesel ravs owners.

Cheers/Igor

__

Hi Slimbloke and welcome to the club.

I'm trying to figure our a way of doing this without scaring you to death so I will start by saying that in my opinion the XT5 is probably one of the best "soft roaders" money can buy and while having a similar spec' it avoids the biggest grumble with the T180 which is with the run flat tyres.

I will list as many of the niggles with the 56 RAV or "4.3" as we call it and if anyone can think of anything else please add it. It is important to understand that these are not common but have occured and you might like to check it or ask the dealer to check and rectify on the understanding that you want it sorted under the warranty. They are all recognised by Toyota and have fixes.

There have been issues with;

Water pump leaks

Sump oil leaks

Timing cover oil leaks

Gearbox input shaft oil leaks

EGR valve sticking

Cylinder head gasket failure

Steering creaks from either an intermediate shaft or suspension top bushes

Noisey injectors (excessive knock when cold)

Scored front brake discs (is rectified along with new pads)

Weeping rear shock absorbers

Exterior door mirror rattle (easily fixed but a warranty fix is also available)

Over sensitive passenger seat sensor (can cause the bleeper to work when a relatively light object is placed on it)

Some early ones leaked water in through the heater

You might think you are at risk of buying a nail when you read this but they aren't and very few are not satisfied or regret getting one. If you could find similar forums for Nissan X-Trails or Mitsi Outlanders they would probably have similar or even larger lists and the one for a Freelander would look like "War and Peace"!

They are just things for you to look at and if you feel you would like a chat I will pm my phone number to you.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Oh and it does help if you a slightly bonkers and capable of running off at incredible tangents if you want to frequent this forum. Don't worry, we will look after you!!!

Regards

Helpful list, thankyou. It's just out of warranty but 3 week old MOT, so I'll ask to see it and hope nothing was discovered :)

__

Hi Slimbloke and welcome to the club.

I'm trying to figure our a way of doing this without scaring you to death so I will start by saying that in my opinion the XT5 is probably one of the best "soft roaders" money can buy and while having a similar spec' it avoids the biggest grumble with the T180 which is with the run flat tyres.

I will list as many of the niggles with the 56 RAV or "4.3" as we call it and if anyone can think of anything else please add it. It is important to understand that these are not common but have occured and you might like to check it or ask the dealer to check and rectify on the understanding that you want it sorted under the warranty. They are all recognised by Toyota and have fixes.

There have been issues with;

Water pump leaks

Sump oil leaks

Timing cover oil leaks

Gearbox input shaft oil leaks

EGR valve sticking

Cylinder head gasket failure

Steering creaks from either an intermediate shaft or suspension top bushes

Noisey injectors (excessive knock when cold)

Scored front brake discs (is rectified along with new pads)

Weeping rear shock absorbers

Exterior door mirror rattle (easily fixed but a warranty fix is also available)

Over sensitive passenger seat sensor (can cause the bleeper to work when a relatively light object is placed on it)

Some early ones leaked water in through the heater

You might think you are at risk of buying a nail when you read this but they aren't and very few are not satisfied or regret getting one. If you could find similar forums for Nissan X-Trails or Mitsi Outlanders they would probably have similar or even larger lists and the one for a Freelander would look like "War and Peace"!

They are just things for you to look at and if you feel you would like a chat I will pm my phone number to you.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Oh and it does help if you a slightly bonkers and capable of running off at incredible tangents if you want to frequent this forum. Don't worry, we will look after you!!!

Regards

Wow Anchs you have frightened me and i have got one, :eek: Slimbloke welcome + i have had mine 2yrs + other than a brake skim which I am not sure it needed I can honestly say so far no probs whatsoever Good luck :thumbsup: Stew

PS If you treat Anchormans list like those side effect lists you get with tablets ie your head could explode, dizziness, vomiting, depression Etc.. Thes are all things that could possibly happen but most likely won't..Stew Also you can of course extend your warranty...

I as thinking of extending the warranty - best done at a dealer, or go for a private one?

No idea how much they cost either :-/

I as thinking of extending the warranty - best done at a dealer, or go for a private one?

Search online for third party warranty providers like Warranty Direct. They usually have an online calculator for different makes and models and that will give you a price. But they will offer different lengths and levels of cover, so read the small print of what is covered, and more importantly what is not covered.

__

Hi,

Not only is the XT5 the best model in the range but a '56 plate is, IMHO, a better motor than the latter ones - 'cause it's got a spare wheel! :thumbsup: There was an update for the ECU software 6 months or so back. If it has been done there should be a sticker under the bonnet that says so. If it isn't there ask if it has been done. A further very minor issues is the on board computer fuel consumption read out. If you just treat it as an indication of how economically you are driving rather than actual fuel consumption it's fine. Mine reads about 11.5% optimistically.

How many miles has it done?

Search online for third party warranty providers like Warranty Direct. They usually have an online calculator for different makes and models and that will give you a price. But they will offer different lengths and levels of cover, so read the small print of what is covered, and more importantly what is not covered.

There has been quite a bit of discussion recently on both Toyota warranties + after market ones, obviously the Toyota one is best but IMO expensive..

some aftermarket ones only cover you if you actually breakdown ie if your engines making a strange noise then you are not covered, however if you get a loud bang + a piston appears thru your bonnet then you are probably covered, then theres the Fair Wear + Tear clause, If your clutch packs in at 70,000mls then its FW+T and likely not covered as Marksy says do a lot of research before commiting to one or the other, :thumbsup: Stew

Car has done 27,500 miles and is in mint condition. All options are included (can't think of any that aren't on it) and test driven it twice - placed deposit yesterday, and picking it up tomorrow night! Thanks for everyone's help.

Warranties: yes, 3rd party cheaper, but the things they don't cover is insulting! Toyota cover works out as something over £50 per month... tempted.

Car has done 27,500 miles and is in mint condition. All options are included (can't think of any that aren't on it) and test driven it twice - placed deposit yesterday, and picking it up tomorrow night! Thanks for everyone's help.

Warranties: yes, 3rd party cheaper, but the things they don't cover is insulting! Toyota cover works out as something over £50 per month... tempted.

Well done fella, now just enjoy it! Your impressions after you have had it for a little while will be very welcome. Two minor comments: Read the thread on this forum if you have any problems connecting you phone by bluetooth - some work better than others, and the iPod integration kit that Kingo sells is the icing on the cake if you don't have one already. Good luck.

There was an update for the ECU software 6 months or so back. If it has been done there should be a sticker under the bonnet that says so.

The dealer that the car had been bought and serviced at says an ECU re-program was done in February, so I guess that was it :)

Picking it up tonight! Will take it for a nice valet clean on Wednesday as I have the day off, and teach my wife how to use all the gismos and toys in it... which might take some time ;)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links