Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Lights Have Stopped Working

falgard

Hey guys have a mk3 supra 2.0l TT. My brake lights have just stopped working and need some suggestions as to what to do next. So far i have done the following:

1. Checked the fuse also changed it for a brand new one not blown or blackened in anyway.

2. Checked the lamps themselves all the filaments are intact and if you pass 12v through they illumitate

3. Checked the switch located on the brake pedal. Had it apart from its connector and out of its location checked it with my multimeter and its operating as it should.

4. Linked out the connector with a wire so the circuit was complete and the lights should of illumitated.

5. When i metered the connector into the cluster i had feeds from all the other switches for the rest of the lights but nothing on the brakes.

Had the lamp failure box off from its clips as well and checked that. When i disconnected it the rear lights wouldnt work apart from the indicators and the hazards. When i took the cover off i noticed a small amount of corrotion on the pcb contained inside and that some of it was starting to lift.

Ran out of time but intend to check the feeds coming into this box as im hoping that one of them is the brakes.

Anyone have any suggestions or know anything else that i can do?

Thanks

Hey all just to let you know I've now sorted the problem traced it back to being the Lamp Fault Sensor box. Did a small amount of investigation about it and all it does is send a signal for warning lights on your dash board.

Found a large number of American forums on the subject covering various Toyota models through out. And the fix is pretty much the same through out.

Either fork out for a new box or hope to find one on eBay or at a scrap yard or do the simple thing and reroute the circuits involved to bypass the box as its not really that useful and you can check all your lamps manually anyway.

Subsequently i've now bypassed the box and removed it completely with a few crimps. Only really 4 important wires involved and they link up as 2 pairs.

Can post the colourings of these cables if anyone else has the same problem.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links