Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Problem

bullvine

Just as I thought it was going too well. The clutch is making the kind of noice it makes you think the input shaft is about to come through the centre console. The clutch works well and the gears go into position perfectly so hopefully it's just noisy. There is one consulation it's not a Dmf (dual mass flywheel) type according to the haynes manual. I will keep you all posted on the progress.

Bullvine

Haynes manual speak forked tongue.

Sorry to tell you this but if it is a diesel it has a dmf. You've got HEMI on your doorstep. Nip in and let him listen to it.

Even though it's a dmf does it mean the flywheel has to be changed ?

Have a read at the dmf info at the top of the page.

Just to clarify, the dmf IS the flywheel (dual mass flywheel). However, I'm not saying that it needs changing. You need to give more info or call in to somebody that knows. HEMI is near to you and I'm sure he'll listen and advise you accordingly!

welcome to the club,lol,

yeah I'm afraid the DMF will 99% have to be changed,there are mixed opinions(well 2 really,mine and Anchormans,lol)about what clutch kit to use,you can go and get another DMF or you could get a single mass flywheel(my choice,lol)but if you get a SMF make sure its a Blueprint kit,nothing else will do,even if its dearer than another make get the Blueprint,you get no vibe issues with a Blueprint.I and a few others have noticed a quicker and smoother take off with a SMF but the choice is yours.You can PM me if you like for advice,I really dont mind at all,cheers

By the way Anchorman,he's not on my doorstep,he's in Norfolk and I'm in Stafford,lol

welcome to the club,lol,

yeah I'm afraid the DMF will 99% have to be changed,there are mixed opinions(well 2 really,mine and Anchormans,lol)about what clutch kit to use,you can go and get another DMF or you could get a single mass flywheel(my choice,lol)but if you get a SMF make sure its a Blueprint kit,nothing else will do,even if its dearer than another make get the Blueprint,you get no vibe issues with a Blueprint.I and a few others have noticed a quicker and smoother take off with a SMF but the choice is yours.You can PM me if you like for advice,I really dont mind at all,cheers

By the way Anchorman,he's not on my doorstep,he's in Norfolk and I'm in Stafford,lol

By heck you're right!

Sorry!

Just as I thought it was going too well. The clutch is making the kind of noice it makes you think the input shaft is about to come through the centre console. The clutch works well and the gears go into position perfectly so hopefully it's just noisy. There is one consulation it's not a Dmf (dual mass flywheel) type according to the haynes manual. I will keep you all posted on the progress.

Bullvine

Hi bullvine,

It is a DMF, my DMF failed at 32000 mls ( 2002 d4d) the flywheel centre just went slack, didnt break up or anything clutch ok gears ok. How did i know, dont laugh i had just picked it up from service ( main dealer) was sat at some traffic lights and realised that my calfs at the back of my legs were swinging side to side and the steering wheel was doing the same, if you push a bit of forward pressure on the gear stick whilst driving at a constant speed, you might feel the stick juddering back at your hand as well, but about the noises you have get your local garage to check for crank float by seeing if the crank pulley is moving forward when you press the clutch first, this is a £2.00 shim that sadly costs an arm and a leg to fix. Thought i was imagining things so went for a drive round and ended up back at the dealership. They tried to tell me that i had put petrol in the tank!!!! didnt stop laughing till they told me £1200 (parts and labour 9.5 hrs.). DONT do the job without changing ALL the bits as a set, the clutch is laughable, its TINY for a 4X4 looks like its come out of a Yaris. They suggested a life of about 66000 mls for a clutch ( if you are not towing!!!) Dug my feet in at this point and only had to pay for the clutch kit (£208) as i was 1 week outside my dealership provided warrenty. Now done 80000 miles over last 5yrs no problems most of it round town ( wifes job ). If i was prime minister i would have all these D4D engined Toyota cars back in the dealerships for free life time repair as they have known of these problems for years and continued to fit the wreched things and leave us the consumer to foot the development bill, same with the engine management lights.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links