Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav 4.2 Aircon Failure

60north

I've just had my '55 reg RAV4 XTR in for it's 4th annual service as it approaches 40K miles.

The vehicle has been excellent so far but a couple of months ago the aircon stopped working so I had the dealer check it out. They have just told me that the aircon pipe that runs across the front of the car (in front of/ below the radiator) has split underneath its protective covering.

No problem I thought, until they told me the cost - £253 for the pipe and about the same again for labour (probably not including vat but I forgoat to ask due to the shock!). Apparently the whole front end has to be removed to gain access :(

Before I write to Mr Toyota asking for a contribution :rolleyes: is anyone here aware of this fault/ failure being anything other than unusual?

Does anyone have a form of letter that I may crib for when I do write?

Any help or advise gratefully received

Regards

Colin

It is very unusual. Have they actually started work because I'm afraid I would buy the pipe off Kingo and fit it myself or even get a local garage to fit it.

If they have started you just need to explain the situation and ask them to consider a policy warranty claim. The trouble is that in claiming retrospectively, you will probably end up with a voucher for your next service or tell the garage to wait.

Good luck.

It is very unusual. Have they actually started work because I'm afraid I would buy the pipe off Kingo and fit it myself or even get a local garage to fit it.

If they have started you just need to explain the situation and ask them to consider a policy warranty claim. The trouble is that in claiming retrospectively, you will probably end up with a voucher for your next service or tell the garage to wait.

Good luck.

Hi Anchorman, thanks for the response.

I had considered fitting the part myself as I have a good sized garage - although no lift or pit :(

The mechanic at the dealer couldn't advise as to how practical it was to do it at home as they had never replaced one before themsleves. All he could say was that the pipe went up around the side of the engine bay and the upper/inner joint may not be too readily accessible.

I haven't instructed them to proceed as yet as we are off on holiday with the RAV on Friday but I was planning on getting it done when we return.

I would rather get things moving with Mr T before the work started but a voucher wouldn't cause me too much distress :)

Thanks again.