Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Replacement In Key Fob -99 2.0 Gls

Emily's dad

I hope someone here can help me with a simple enquiry.

I have a 99 S reg Avensis 2.0L GLS estate.

One of the remote key fobs is beginning to give me problems and sometimes doesn't lock or unlock the car. I've had the car about 7 years now and have never replaced the Battery in either remote, so doing so should hopefully cure this problem.

My question is: Does a simple replacement of the Battery mean that I have to resync the key in any way shape or form.

If I do I have seen several different methods on this forum, which is the suitable method for my particular models as stated above.

Thanks in advance for any replies, any help greatly appreciated.

I hope someone here can help me with a simple enquiry.

I have a 99 S reg Avensis 2.0L GLS estate.

One of the remote key fobs is beginning to give me problems and sometimes doesn't lock or unlock the car. I've had the car about 7 years now and have never replaced the battery in either remote, so doing so should hopefully cure this problem.

My question is: Does a simple replacement of the battery mean that I have to resync the key in any way shape or form.

If I do I have seen several different methods on this forum, which is the suitable method for my particular models as stated above.

Thanks in advance for any replies, any help greatly appreciated.

Actually I was going to post the same thing today myself!

Mine is a 2004 T3-X Auto, and I wondered about the effects of changing the key fob Battery. Is this a dealer type of thing where it requires some sort of computer synchronised thingymajig?! Or can I take my life in my hands and perform a simple change of Battery?!

Any others out there with some pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

......I changed the battery on my key,,and didn't need to resync anything

+1

......I changed the battery on my key,,and didn't need to resync anything

+1

Good news so far then, looks like a pretty straightforward thing.

Thanks folks!

Hi,

I changed mine 6 months ago & everything was ok, without any issues. However I have heard that they do need to be programmed after changing the batteries.

Cheers,

Marv

Well I bought a couple of replacement batteries and swapped them over today.

Unfortunately my problem persists, so I guess the remote part of the key is on its way out.

I won't be spending any more money trying to resolve this, I'll just use the key in the lock !

Problem solved.

Thanks for all replies though.

Hi,

Don't take this the wrong way, but did you put the batteries in in the right way round? I only say that as I did the same thing with a key for an Alfa 156.

Marv

Hi,

Don't take this the wrong way, but did you put the batteries in in the right way round? I only say that as I did the same thing with a key for an Alfa 156.

Marv

No offence taken, sometimes it's the simplest things that are missed.

Batteries are brand new and in the right way. The remote still isn't working properly, so I guessing the key fob has developped some fault. It's not the end of the world as the other remote is still working fine (at the moment)

As the car is now 11 years old, and can be locked and unlocked by the old fashioned method of putting the key in the lock and turning it I am not going to spend any money trying to fix the troublesome remote. I'll just take the battreies out completely so I don't get caught out.

All the best

Dave.

Hi,

Marv

No offence taken, sometimes it's the simplest things that are missed.

Batteries are brand new and in the right way. The remote still isn't working properly, so I guessing the key fob has developped some fault. It's not the end of the world as the other remote is still working fine (at the moment)

As the car is now 11 years old, and can be locked and unlocked by the old fashioned method of putting the key in the lock and turning it I am not going to spend any money trying to fix the troublesome remote. I'll just take the battreies out completely so I don't get caught out.

All the best

Dave.

The Ford Mondeo uses a silver disc between the 2 batteries, to get a good contact. The Ford manuals have a short paragraph explaining how to re-establish the remote coding ;-- takes <5 minutes operating the key in the ignition back and fore, then pressing any button on the fob. Sometimes the buttons get dirt in them, and need a clean, and also the spring-loaded Battery contacts need a bit of reshaping, sometimes.

The exact model of Battery will be needed, as some are thinner than required. Check your volts, as even 10% drop is a problem.

With my expensive quartz alarm clock, I discovered that there is a low power version of the LR44 Battery, intended for hearing-aids. The proper one needed, in the SR44 (silver oxide), with 1.55 volts.

My CR2032 Energizer battery for my Ford Fiesta remote is 3 Volts, and gives unreliable opening of the locks first time in the day if I let the volts drop 10%. Perhaps the batteries supplied by Maplin at twice the price of Tesco, may be able to give a higher burst of power when needed, which is the designed duty cycle of these batteries, which also give a trickle flow of current, to stop the key needing reminding of the car it is coded to.

Just checked the Auto Data for the Avensis and it is this one Dave :thumbsup:

ALARM & CENTRAL LOCKING

alarmcentrallocking.jpg

IMMOBILISER

immobiliser.jpg

Hope this helps ;)

Les