Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Potentiall New Avensis Owner - Advice Needed

M4cc45

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a 2004 Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4-D T Spirit (72,500 miles on the clock), FSH, Cambelt Just Changed, Full MOT and 6 Months Tax. When I viewed it, it was in a lovely condition both inside and out. I do have a couple of concerns though. Firstly I noticed that my foot was to the floor at times, especially in third gear, trying to get it to go faster. Is this a common limitation or could it be hiding something? The reverse parking sensors were unbelievably quiet (I could barely hear them) again is this something else that can be adjusted? The price is £6,000 does this seem okay?

One other thing I've been advised of is that it's a loud car - I didn't particuarly notice this but there was a salesman in the car and constantly talking. Also when we hit a bit of motorway it was very loud but that was the surface and quietened down when we were on other surfaces but, again because of the talking, I never really took it all in.

In the advert, it said Electric Heated Seats - the seats were certainly electric but I couldn't see where to turn on the heated option?

Lastly is there anything to look out for when buying these? Is it a good car (finding massively mixed reviews on line).

Thanks,

M.

Ive got one. Got mine for £6300 done 66,975 miles. Mine is the 2.2 though but now done 73,700 all as been well. Their is no heated seats on this one no. Dual Zone climate control is nice though and does warm the car up good as you can set the left and right one to different temps.

Yeah I noticed the dual climate control. Do you notice any loudness? Did you notice anything else that's problematic? Have you had to have anything fixed whilst you've owned the car?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to get as much info as possible!

Thanks!

M

1.Do you notice any loudness?

2.Did you notice anything else that's problematic?

3.Have you had to have anything fixed whilst you've owned the car

Thanks!

M

Hi M4cc45........I got my car 6 months ago,and I can say I'm happpy with this car.

Answers..1. I did notice the loudness,and that's depending on the road surface.You'll get used with this.

2. I didn't notice any problems so far.

3. Until now,I only paid for regular service,no major problems yet.

Today I passed the NCT,that's MOT in UK,so I wish you BEST OF LUCK!!

Thanks D4D2003!

I have read on a few forums that you can get after market stuff for the noise so that may be fine! And certainly something I think I'd get used to with the radio on! Good news that nothings gone wrong because this will be the most expensive car I've ever bought it's something I'm a little wary off. Congratulations on the NCT pass though.. :)

The only thing I'd like to do would be to change the monochrome GPS to something else - is this possible? Can you retrofit the colour one?

M.

Thanks D4D2003!

I have read on a few forums that you can get after market stuff for the noise so that may be fine! And certainly something I think I'd get used to with the radio on! Good news that nothings gone wrong because this will be the most expensive car I've ever bought it's something I'm a little wary off. Congratulations on the NCT pass though.. :)

The only thing I'd like to do would be to change the monochrome GPS to something else - is this possible? Can you retrofit the colour one?

M.

........I don't have an GPS.........Sorry I can't help you on this matter

just buy a Tom Tom or similar - Toyota update discs are exorbitantly priced.

Yeah I have a TomTom but was looking for something to stop the hassle of having to remember it - it's no biggie.

Yeah I have a TomTom but was looking for something to stop the hassle of having to remember it - it's no biggie.

You can check whether the head lights have been replaced under warranty. Some of the first models suffered from bad condensation that resulted in burnt bulbs. The warranty was extended to 5 years after sale. I replaced mine in 2008 (my Reg is 03)

Good luck!

J

It has a FSH from Toyota so hopefully it will have been picked up? It's a 54 plate so 5 years takes it to 2009 does that mean it's just out of warranty or still in?

It has a FSH from Toyota so hopefully it will have been picked up? It's a 54 plate so 5 years takes it to 2009 does that mean it's just out of warranty or still in?

I noticed the problem after a car wash, the water droplets inside, however small, made me take the car to the Toyota dealer and it took them 5 mins to give me an appointment for the replacement. You can check from the service history. But it might well be that yours was simply OK from the start. I do not believe that all cars without exception carry this issue.

I think I'll give Toyota a call tomorrow and see if they can shed some light on it - I think it's the only way to be sure!

Is there anything else that should have been done on it?

To M4cc45,

Go for another test drive, hopefully with a friend who has a knowledge of cars. Make sure you put the salesman in the back & politely tell him to keep quiet. It could just be tyre noise, depending on the make of tyres fitted to car. As to headlamps, remember Toyota.IE is a seperate stand alone entity to Toyota.UK & as such will do everything possible to wriggle out of changing your (being an import?) headlamps. Struggling in 3rd gear sounds odd & not normal. Ask them to supply you with a diagnostic log read out, to show if any faults show up via ECM.

If it has a 2 year NCT disc, you can be sure that the car should be absolutely sound mechanical wise, emissions, brakes & suspension etc etc. Testing equipment being that more stringent.

Regards, Beagh.

PS, The country is awash with people trying to sell cars private & dealership alike. So drive a hard bargain.

To M4cc45,

Apologies first, your in the UK not Ireland. The price is pretty much bang-on from a dealer, but that is a top notch price which means car should be absolutely immaculate with no faults atall.

Regards, Beagh.

Hi Beagh

Thanks for the reply. The car was immaculate both inside and out (physically) I will, however, do as you say and take it out for another test drive - due to the money involved I think I will get it AA / RAC checked.

I will phone Toyota in the morning to see what its had done as I think if the car has been well maintainted then it's less to worry about!

M.

Phoned Toyota who advised:

10K, 20K, 30K, 40K, 60K Service have been done by Toyota (last service at 67K so next service was due 77k or January - car on 72k) so missing a 50k service by Toyota but has been done by a third party. Advise that there is no outstanding recalls on this car.

M.