Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Customers Complaints About The Yaris

HowardL

I've been reading some customers after sales letters on different sites ,

alot of them really slag off the Yaris

Clutch judder , gear box probs are mentioned alot.

Is that info for the new model Howard?

Sure, my old SR has a bit of a cluncky gearbox when cold and the occasional clutch judder but it's a 9yr old car and to be expected imo.

After reading the things that go wrong on the new model, i would never buy one. :lol:

no car is perfect.... but the yaris is the best car iv ever owned. iv thought about selling and getting a celica, but just cant part with my credit crunch cruiser...lol :D

It is the newer model the complaints are about.

My 53 plate judders, it seem to be getting worse...but not sure if its worth getting looked at yet

there seems to be alot of clutch judder in recent yrs in cars in general

I reckon its something to do with the omission of asbestos in the friction plate ,( just like the brake pads )

From reading other threads, there is now a fix for the rough 1st to 2nd change. It appears not to affect the new 6 speed models.

BTW I did find the 58 plate 1.3 SR I test drove have quite a sharp clutch (it was light, but to me it had a very digital biting point). The new 6 speed one is very different.

I find the 1.33 feels like it has a very large flywheel (ie revs do not drop quickly when you dip the clutch) and there is very little engine braking. As it has a drive by wire throttl, these features could be electronic rather than mechanical.

Interesting. I didn't notice a "flywheel mass" difference when I had a 1.33 courtesy car recently, but if there is, it could be because of the stop/start mechanism that's built into the engine on the new models.

That could be the extra rotating mass and inertia......

And, touch wood, now that my gearbox crunch has been fixed, my 2008 1.3 SR is "perfect" and I have no issues whatsoever - just like the 2000 1.0 CDX that we had for eight years previously.

Actually - there is one issue - the chromed wheel nuts always rust. They must be really poor quality chrome plating. They did on the 2000 car and they were rusting on the 2008 car before it was 6 months old.

I always wax my wheels (and the nuts) to protect them, so that stems the tide, but it seems that Japanese quality doesn't extend as far as their wheel nuts....

My 53 plate judders, it seem to be getting worse...but not sure if its worth getting looked at yet

I reckon its something to do with the omission of asbestos in the friction plate ,( just like the brake pads )

I remember some late 1980s Vauxhalls didn't like using asbestos free brake pads, often needing new discs & drums. I'm surprised a car designed about 10 years later has similar troubles.

From reading other threads, there is now a fix for the rough 1st to 2nd change. It appears not to affect the new 6 speed models.

BTW I did find the 58 plate 1.3 SR I test drove have quite a sharp clutch (it was light, but to me it had a very digital biting point). The new 6 speed one is very different.

I find the 1.33 feels like it has a very large flywheel (ie revs do not drop quickly when you dip the clutch) and there is very little engine braking. As it has a drive by wire throttl, these features could be electronic rather than mechanical.

The gear selector problems on that other thread, refers to the 'box in the Mk1 1.3 litre cars. I had no problems in my '53 reg D4-D (Mk 1.5, T2 trim). There is a factory fix that is being tried, tentatively in 1.3 litre cars, fitting new selector parts in the gearbox, but it is not yet at the full recall level of approval.

Interesting. I didn't notice a "flywheel mass" difference when I had a 1.33 courtesy car recently, but if there is, it could be because of the stop/start mechanism that's built into the engine on the new models.

Perhaps it is that the clutch biting point is very high so I am slightly slipping the cluch before fully coming off the throttle, but the lack of engine braking is very noticable after the Aygo!!!!!

As the throttle is drive by wire, all these 'features' could be electronic rather than mechanical......

No car is perfect and some will have their quirks from whatever manufacturer, but the new 1.33 Yaris with 6 speed box is a big step forward from the previous versions in refinement clutch and/or gear box issues :thumbsup:

I remember some late 1980s Vauxhalls didn't like using asbestos free brake pads, often needing new discs & drums. I'm surprised a car designed about 10 years later has similar troubles.

Because of harder pads ( no asbestos) the disc's wear quicker than yesteryear

My 206 had to have discs and pads replaced after 30,000 miles

And too my present car ..YARIS...after 35,000 miles.

Yet my 2000 Yaris went on for 64,000 miles and 8 years and was still using the original disks and pads when we sold it....

It sailed through every MOT and never required anything other than service parts for the whole of its eight year life with us...

Original exhaust, original brake parts - even the Battery lasted seven years before it got tired and we swapped it for a new one....

I can't see a Corsa or Clio doing the same withut the needs for some repairs....

No car's perfect and you'll always find someone with an issue - but on the whole, I think you'll find a lot more satisfied Yaris owners than you will for any other similar model....

With a couple of days extra driving, the revs not dropping when you dip the clutch appears to be more prevalent when the engine is cold. So perhaps I have been misleading people and rather than a flywheel it is the idler valve. Sorry......

My 54 plate judders aswell, does my head in :rolleyes:

Mine's been doing it a lot lately, think it's the cold, damp weather. Can Toyota build a decent gearbox for the Yaris?? :angry:

I've been reading some customers after sales letters on different sites ,

alot of them really slag off the Yaris

Clutch judder , gear box probs are mentioned alot.

1.3 SR 14,000 miles

Nice car but

Front brakes grind, garage tried skiming them but no joy. Going to ask for new discs and pads.

And good old clutch judder even after the clutch was changed.

So will I be keeping it after the warranty runs out, no way

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links