Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just Bought A 2001 Celica

geoff97531

Hi, I'm new on here as I've only just bought my first Toyota, a 2001 Celica with 50k on the clock for just under four grand, which I'm pleased with as its a great car - I love it already!

Just a couple of things I've noticed and wouldn't mind another opinion on...

1) Firstly, the cigarette lighter won't charge my satnav and also the lighter itself will not stay pushed in. I have checked the fuse which is fine so I just bought a new socket/lighter off eBay for a fiver and will have a go at shoving it in there myself. My attempt was going to consist of....disconnect Battery....get a screwdriver to wrench the old one out....wire it up which should hopefully be easy. Does that sound ok?

2) It takes about two seconds of having the key turned before the engine comes to life. It is clearly slow to start but has not failed once in the first week of me owning it. Does this sound like I should get it looked at or is this fairly typical?

3) It has non standard alloys on it with low profile tyres so I have a hunch they should be slightly higher pressure than the 30 suggested on the driver door? Don't know why I think that but I do!

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Most owners on celica-club are running around 32 psi, hope you've remembered to inform your Ins. Co. of the after market Wheels.

If you're not aware of the Oil consumption problem on the pre face lift VVTi Engine (99-02), do some reading up both on here and celica-club so you reduce the risk of Oil starvation.

Most owners on celica-club are running around 32 psi, hope you've remembered to inform your Ins. Co. of the after market Wheels.

If you're not aware of the Oil consumption problem on the pre face lift VVTi Engine (99-02), do some reading up both on here and celica-club so you reduce the risk of Oil starvation.

Thanks very much for bringing that up - I did a bit of research before buying but didn't know they could use a litre of oil every 600 or 1000 miles depending on who's posts you read, it's a lot either way. I'll check the dipstick every couple of weeks and get ready to spend a lot on expensive 5-30 oil. Still, it's a small price to pay when your last car was a 1.4 peugeot 306 :D

Thanks very much for bringing that up - I did a bit of research before buying but didn't know they could use a litre of oil every 600 or 1000 miles depending on who's posts you read, it's a lot either way. I'll check the dipstick every couple of weeks and get ready to spend a lot on expensive 5-30 oil. Still, it's a small price to pay when your last car was a 1.4 peugeot 306 :D

If you dont want the oil problem starting keep the oil clean, every 3000 - 5000 miles change depending on cold starting and what type of driving your doing. Some guy on another forum had his gen 7 pre facelift engine at 130,000 miles with no oil problems just by changing oil regularly within 5000 miles. And when kwik fit does oil /filter changes for just £29 (Cost me when changing oil on gen 7 celica) (Heard national tyre centre or whatever is cheaper though) Its not a lot of money to change oil for the hassle you will endure if you dont change and the oil problems starts as it will burn out your catalytic convertor over time as it becomes coated in oil.

If you dont want the oil problem starting keep the oil clean, every 3000 - 5000 miles change depending on cold starting and what type of driving your doing. Some guy on another forum had his gen 7 pre facelift engine at 130,000 miles with no oil problems just by changing oil regularly within 5000 miles. And when kwik fit does oil /filter changes for just £29 (Cost me when changing oil on gen 7 celica) (Heard national tyre centre or whatever is cheaper though) Its not a lot of money to change oil for the hassle you will endure if you dont change and the oil problems starts as it will burn out your catalytic convertor over time as it becomes coated in oil.

Thanks for that. I do the worst sort of driving really, 5 miles to work and 5 miles home every day, which takes about 15 mins so the engine barely gets hot. I do make an effort to give it a proper run at the weekends, not least because I actually enjoy driving it! £29 is a bargain given that 5-30 oil costs £25 for a gallon any way so I'll certainly be going to kwik for for that - I am just about capable of working out how to change the oil and filters but I am also a very lazy man so paying someone else to do your dirty work is always preferable. Cheers