Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Headlight Dims - Bad Earth?

dagbladet

My left hand headlight is playing up. Sometimes it's fine, then it will dim right down to a dull glow, then back to bright. It doesn't instantly flash between the two, rather like using a dimmer switch but quickly, if that makes any sense. I've jiggled the wires and of course thumped the unit. Makes no difference. I wondered if it was a dodgy earth.

Can anybody point me towards the likely locations of the earth please?

Yaris 1.0 VVTI 'W' Reg Ph 1.

Eiether a dodgy earth or corrosion in a joint.

Thanks. That's what everybody in the office keeps telling me. Could anybody point me in the direction of where this wire is earthed? Please?

Thanks. That's what everybody in the office keeps telling me. Could anybody point me in the direction of where this wire is earthed? Please?

Firstly, fully remove the socket on the back of the light housing and push it back on again a couple of times, in case its that which isn't a good connection.

Then have a look around the engine bay for any black wires that simply terminate at a bolt where they fasten to the body. If I recall there's at least one such bolt on the wheelarch near the headlight.

Unbolt any you can find, clean with fine emery paper and reconnect....

I don't know fur sure where the headlight earth terminates, but its not going to be far from the headlight itself...

Think some of the earth wires are white with a black trace and there is one located on each inner wing, nearside and offside. But unsure if they are for the lights.

If it is ONLY the LH headlamp, suggests the wiring at the rear of the headlamp... or to fusebox is faulty.

As both headlamps go to the same fuseboxes(s)... check the wiring at rear of lamp first.

It's a pia.. you need a warm and dry environment to work... outside in the cold and your fingers will fumble.

If it is ONLY the LH headlamp, suggests the wiring at the rear of the headlamp... or to fusebox is faulty.

As both headlamps go to the same fuseboxes(s)... check the wiring at rear of lamp first.

It's a pia.. you need a warm and dry environment to work... outside in the cold and your fingers will fumble.

Thanks guys. I'll give these a bash later. Damn aswkward to get the connector off the bulb with my pudgy hands.

OK. I finally managed to get the plastic connector to come off the back of the bulb. It was all bubbled and brittle as if it had maybe been arcing and melted. I didn't have a new one so just tried to clean up the contacts a bit with a very thin file and some WD40. Working ok now but the plastic is very 'crumbly' so will have to get one from the scrappy and re-wire it.

Thanks for your help folks.

OK. I finally managed to get the plastic connector to come off the back of the bulb. It was all bubbled and brittle as if it had maybe been arcing and melted. I didn't have a new one so just tried to clean up the contacts a bit with a very thin file and some WD40. Working ok now but the plastic is very 'crumbly' so will have to get one from the scrappy and re-wire it.

Thanks for your help folks.

Woops! I got a new (scrappy) connector. I was a bit daft and in the process of trimming the original wiring (without disconnecting the battery) I blew the 10 amp fuse to the headlight. Wiring is all good now, but there is no spare 10 amp mini fuse in the box, but there is a 15 amp. Will I be ok to use the 15 'til I can get to Halfords? It seems to work fine. What's the implications?

The implications will be a blown bulb/headlight as suppose to a fuse. A fuse is cheaper to replace. Buy some spares while you are there in various ampages for future reference :thumbsup:

The implications will be a blown bulb/headlight as suppose to a fuse. A fuse is cheaper to replace. Buy some spares while you are there in various ampages for future reference :thumbsup:

Cheers. But barring some freaky power surge or a dozy lackwit fumbling about with a pair of pliers, it'll work OK, 'til I get to the shops?

Word to the wise.....Allways disconnect the battery! :lol:

Bet you won't do it again. :P

Lesson learnt. Quite a sizeable fizzle, pop and sparks for such a tiny little fuse. :o

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links