Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Juddering Clutch Again

HowardL

I may well get a new clutch fitted after xmas

Has anyone had this job done and was the juddeing cured?

i nearly replaced my clutch in the summer due to this problem... anyway, the garage put me off... said leave it till it starts slipping at least.... i get a juddery day about once a month now. iv learnt to give it more revs when it judders, approx 2k rpm and slip the clutch a bit, the judder soon disapears. mines a 1.3 cdx too, 71k on the clock... hope that helps. ;)

I may well get a new clutch fitted after xmas

Has anyone had this job done and was the juddeing cured?

1.3 SR

Clutch replaced at 4,000 miles

Stiff gear change for a while then it loosened up.

Bad news is judder is back again.

Only in the Winter

Only if car left outside for more than a day.

Have to give it plenty of revs after doing it 2 or 3 times it clears again.

Solution

Don't buy another Toyota and sell the car before the warranty runs out.

Simples.

First and last time I buy a Toyota.

Sounds like the original problem may not have been addressed correctly. Most juddering clutches are down to being contaminated with oil. Thus in cold weather the problems will be worse and slipping the clucth introduces heat which thins the oil contamination resulting in less judder.:)

Mine too, 1.3sr, and it's been doing it every time i drive it lately, be it for 20miles or 2miles. :angry:

Today, it was so bad i just nailed it out of every junction, wheelspins galore but it got the anger out of me. :lol:

Sounds like the original problem may not have been addressed correctly. Most juddering clutches are down to being contaminated with oil. Thus in cold weather the problems will be worse and slipping the clucth introduces heat which thins the oil contamination resulting in less judder.:)

I had always assumed it was a condensation issue?

You can leave the car for two weeks in the summer with no issues.

Leave it for more than a day in the winter judder judder judder.

Had I known the car was built in France with their legendary attention to build quality I would not have brought the car

Warranty runs out in one year, I will trade in and it's not going to be another Toyota.

Hang on? You are all talking of not driving a toyota over a small clutch "problem" that isn't really a big problem for the majority of us. Go to another manufacturer and you will find yourself paying for the silliest of things to be fixed. I once had to weld the handbrake lever on an alfa romeo for someone. The handbrake lever!! Since when do they break?

I had a peugeot that went through thousands in parts and car hire while it was being fixed.

Ok, if you go for a honda then you will never see the inside of the spare parts shop but by and large you will have a more failure prone car if you leave toyota.

I have no connection to toyota by the way, just drive one of their cars!

Hang on? You are all talking of not driving a toyota over a small clutch "problem" that isn't really a big problem for the majority of us. Go to another manufacturer and you will find yourself paying for the silliest of things to be fixed. I once had to weld the handbrake lever on an alfa romeo for someone. The handbrake lever!! Since when do they break?

I had a peugeot that went through thousands in parts and car hire while it was being fixed.

Ok, if you go for a honda then you will never see the inside of the spare parts shop but by and large you will have a more failure prone car if you leave toyota.

I have no connection to toyota by the way, just drive one of their cars!

I agree with carlowlad, over all the cars i have owned there have been two that have proved to be ultra reliable, the Yaris i have now and my Honda Accord.

I've owned a couple of Ford fiesta's a VW Polo, golf and jetta and none of these can hold a candle to a Jap car imo.

This clutch judder business may just be a trait of the car, if mine gets worse and start's to slip, i'll fit a new clutch, simple.

Incidentally, i drove it today and it never juddered once! Wierd maybe but certainly not a big enough problem to change the car for!!

As allways though, it's up to the owner to decide what's best and suits them but it's a bit unfair to blame the entire car for a small foible. :(

• 10 years later...

The only clutch judder I've ever had was down to the engine and gear box mounting either having broken or eroded, worth a check if you've ruled out the thrust bearing.

Our 2003 Yaris D4D has had clutch judder since we bought it s/h in  2005  - on cold mornings only .. our drive is a slight uphill slope.. Judder is when starting off up slope. Disappears within 400 meters at next junction.

I assume it is condensation .. No known cure..

No slip at all...  

Clutch still untouched.

Going back a long (long long) time clutch judder when cold was a problem some Toyotas suffered from and it was due to resins in the asbestos free linings migrating to the surface and forming a sticky layer. Once up to temperature or once you dipped the clutch and deliberately just burned it off they were fine until cold again. The fix back then was a new modified clutch and new flywheel. We are going back a long long time here though.