Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Replacing Drivers Side Sidelight Bulb

matt@theforce

I've done a search and found someone saying the easiest way to swap the drivers sidelight bulb is to remove the wheel liner? is there another way?

I've done a search and found someone saying the easiest way to swap the drivers sidelight bulb is to remove the wheel liner? is there another way?
Was that not for replacing the fog light bulb? never replaced any bulbs when i had a 4.2 but instructions are in the owners manual.. on the 4.3 they are accessed under the bonnet + are a very simple push/pull fitting takes 2mins once you have removed the plastic cover...Stew

I'm sure it was the sidelight bulb. The passenger side is fiddly but do-able however the drivers side has a big metal block in the way and the funnel for the washer bottle making it impossible for me to get my dainty hands past.

Whilst there is nothing wrong with the current bulbs (very dull and yellow) I like to replace all bulbs when I buy a car so they are all new and keep the original ones as spares.

That block is the ABS pump and it is a fiddle but you can do it. You have to squeeze your hand in and pull the rubber "guzover" off to access the bulb. Practice on the passenger side first then have a go at the drivers side.

You can dress the wounds after and make sure the kids are out of earshot!!!

That block is the ABS pump and it is a fiddle but you can do it. You have to squeeze your hand in and pull the rubber "guzover" off to access the bulb. Practice on the passenger side first then have a go at the drivers side.

You can dress the wounds after and make sure the kids are out of earshot!!!

The washer filler can be unclipped to make a bit more room.

It is held by a black 'push rivet' just at the back of the filler cap. Just push the centre in gently and lift out - same as the bigger ones that hold the large plastic cover over radiator/grille area.

To refit, you have to open out the 'prongs' on the rivet and raise the centre. Then push back through filler surround and into bracket. Centre pin should finish flush with rivet head when you have done [assumig you have any finger tips left after doing the bulb :unsure:

Not on a 4.2 Dave. It is as bad as Matt says. I will add a photo when I get chance.

Not on a 4.2 Dave. It is as bad as Matt says. I will add a photo when I get chance.

Missed the 4.2 bit! It's been a long day...................

Thanks guys,

I have tried without success, my hands/arms are just too fat to reach down through the small gap between the ABS pump and the headlight.

Maybe I should try to get one of the kids todo it :D

I just replaced one's bulbs 2 days ago. A wee bit fiddley but can be done pretty quickly.

The way I done the sidelights was to turn the wheels in to the arch (for whatever side you’re replacing). If you look just inside the wheel arch (at the area where the bumper/wing meets) there is a small rectangle cut-out in the arch liner. Stick yir fingers in the cut-out and pull the liner away from behind the bumper and arch.(you don't have to remove the fasteners on the liner and you won't cause any damage to the liner. Bend the liner into the arch and you can just see the sidelight connectors and no more. Stick you hand in and its 1/8th turn to remove bulb holder from light. There is just enough wiring so that the holder can be pulled out from the wing to replace the bulb. When refitting, the sidelight holder can only go back in one way. There are four notches on the holder so just give it a 1/4 turn each time till it pops in to the lamp, then 1/8th turn to secure it. Refitting the liner can be done with hand.

The main bulbs where easy enough. To fit the bulb on the offside, Pull the white plastic ABS retaining clip up about approx halfway (there is a small cut-out window which indicates how far to pull the retainer. This releases the multiplug. Pull multiplug out ABS unit and push the connector downwards away from the bulb holder. This will give you a bit extra room to replace the bulb. Refit multiplug when finished.

Don't know what bulbs you fitting but I used Philps X-treme Power (ordered from carbulbsdirect) and there a massive improvement over the standards. Cost £22

Hope this helps!

I just replaced one's bulbs 2 days ago. A wee bit fiddley but can be done pretty quickly.

The way I done the sidelights was to turn the wheels in to the arch (for whatever side you’re replacing). If you look just inside the wheel arch (at the area where the bumper/wing meets) there is a small rectangle cut-out in the arch liner. Stick yir fingers in the cut-out and pull the liner away from behind the bumper and arch.(you don't have to remove the fasteners on the liner and you won't cause any damage to the liner. Bend the liner into the arch and you can just see the sidelight connectors and no more. Stick you hand in and its 1/8th turn to remove bulb holder from light. There is just enough wiring so that the holder can be pulled out from the wing to replace the bulb. When refitting, the sidelight holder can only go back in one way. There are four notches on the holder so just give it a 1/4 turn each time till it pops in to the lamp, then 1/8th turn to secure it. Refitting the liner can be done with hand.

The main bulbs where easy enough. To fit the bulb on the offside, Pull the white plastic ABS retaining clip up about approx halfway (there is a small cut-out window which indicates how far to pull the retainer. This releases the multiplug. Pull multiplug out ABS unit and push the connector downwards away from the bulb holder. This will give you a bit extra room to replace the bulb. Refit multiplug when finished.

Don't know what bulbs you fitting but I used Philps X-treme Power (ordered from carbulbsdirect) and there a massive improvement over the standards. Cost £22

Hope this helps!

Thats excelent, Thanks

I've bought some 50% extra light from Powerbulbs which are buy 1 get one free and also come with free sidelight bulbs, I also get 15% discount being a paid member on a Skoda forum, think they were around £28 total.

And it worked a treat, had it swapped in minutes.

• 2 months later...

Third thanks to Oilkid for that :thumbsup: - just replaced my sidelight bulbs with LEDs on a 4.2 (2003 5 door).

I found that the space was too small for my hand or to see what I was doing so I removed the lower screw fixing and one of the two upper plastic 'pop rivets' on the liner to give myself some more space. All seems to have gone ok, fingers crossed.

I also found that the info in the Haynes manual is completely wrong for the headlamp bulb replacement (swapped for brighter bulbs) - I have wire retaining clips and do not need to turn the fitting as Haynes tries to tell you to do. Haynes also completely ignores the sidelights - so 2-0 to TOC!! Thanks all!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

That was great advice.

I just replaced a blown sidelight bulb in no time.

Thanks Oilkid!

Linda

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post but I've just followed your directions to replace my sidelight - excellent stuff thank you very much!

• 2 years later...

Old post I know but just saved me money Halfords could not even come close in replacing side light gave me the bulbs as consolation.

Many thanks

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links