Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Water In Boot

markone

Started getting a wet carpet in the boot right hand side and discovered water dripping through the grille of the light cluster cover.

Ordered a new lamp cluster seal only to find later that the ingress was too high to be the actual lamp seal. After spending hours with the hose pipe I discovered that the little rubber bellows that goes from the body to the rear door seemed to be the culprit.

On my next day off I siliconed the seal to the body and checked today for water. There isn't as much now but its still coming in - seeping under the big trim panel right hand side of the boot :o .

Anybody had a boot leak on a Yaris and if so how was it cured?

I've not had a boot leak yet but do find that when opening the boot and there is water on the car or its raining, if you're not careful, water does fall onto the grey rear lights plastic bits and goes into the boot. Perhaps its just a design flaw?

I got a leak in my Mk1 from the rubber boot where the wires go between car and the hatchback. That too was running down past the lights into the boot.

I t was the seal between the rubber boot and the car body.

I used silicone sealant and some "duct tape" to seal the rubber boot to the bodywork. It was a little unsightly but you only saw it when the boot was open and it did the trick for several years.....

Yep Alfie thats exactly where I think the water is coming in. Just been out now and put more silicone in around the rubber boot. Problem is that I think the boot swivels when the tailgate closes so the silicone is not staying in for long. Thanks for quick replies.

the duct ("duck") tape did the trick. ugly but effective

• 8 years later...

Some advice for this one. I have replaced the seal on the passenger side, still leaked so bought gasket seal, used the same on the drivers side rather than fit a new seal, looks like the foam one shrinks over time, so just added a ring of black gasket on the seal and bolted back in place.

As for the cable rubber boot at the top, when new they don’t spin, if it spins water will get in. Had stripped the boot trim, so took off the top drivers side rear trim and got in behind the headliner, used a couple of flat bladed screwdrivers to push the back of the clips and pop out the fitting. Coated the back of the fitting where it sits on the bodywork with more of the silicone and pressed it back in place, again I think it’s somethin that dries and shrinks over time to allow water in.

That confident I have bolted everything back in place. Picked up most advice from this stream, and just saw a few options to share, should have videoed the fix.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links