Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Over Charged

Uber_Luke

My Grandparents in there 70's have bought a 2008 peugeot 207 from a local dealer. Looking at parkers and other similar spec'd cars on auto trader they seem to have paid 3k over book price 13k instead of 10k listed from most dealers.

Its all paid for now and signed for so they can't go back on it now

but i was just wondering is there anything that can be done now to get a discount or extra warrenty/ servicing?

or are they well within there rights to tell me where to go?

My Grandparents in there 70's have bought a 2008 peugeot 207 from a local dealer. Looking at parkers and other similar spec'd cars on auto trader they seem to have paid 3k over book price 13k instead of 10k listed from most dealers.

Its all paid for now and signed for so they can't go back on it now

but i was just wondering is there anything that can be done now to get a discount or extra warrenty/ servicing?

or are they well within there rights to tell me where to go?

I can only assume that your Grandparents paid the "Asking Price" as displayed on the car at the dealers..................If so you may not have any comeback on the dealer.

Some people do not think of "haggling" over car prices :rolleyes: The car may have been in "pristine condition" and therefore considered to be worth more than similar models in not quite such good condition

It may be worth approaching the dealer principle armed with your evidence of possible lower pricings and trying to negotiate perhaps some "complimentary" servicing on the car, whilst stating that in your opinion, the dealer may have taken advantage of your Grandparents vulnerability.

In todays economic climate it might not get you anywhere, but you will at least have the satisfaction of knowing that you have tried. :thumbsup:

Also various options etc, alter the price, as does mileage. The glasses guide has a sliding scale based on condition, mileage and certain key options.

My car appeared to be over book when I bought it, but factoring in the main desirable value altering options (nav and wheels) and the condition and mileage and it was bang on the money. That doesn’t include the other "lesser options" like Harman Karden hi-fi, bluetooth, heated seats, sun roof etc etc (all of which I have, naturally :P)

I would also be included to say once you have paid that's it. The most likely get out clause as mentioned earlier is the credit route.

I think most places work out the right sort of value, then add a bit on because they expect to be knocked down. If they paid the asking price, I guess it's just one to chalk up to experience.

Unfortunately there isn't much Trading Standards can do if your relatives are getting a bad deal, provided the trader is not actually misleading them then it’s a case of buyer beware!

Well they went to the dealer wanting to part ex their car (which they bought brand new from the said dealer) for a pug 207, which the dealer did not have one in, but they said leave it with us and we'll see what we can do. They got back to them saying they had found one with the spec they were after. so my grandparents when to have a look at it and liked it, they gave them a price for theirs and the price for the new one, which they were told was a really good price. In the mean while my dad search auto trader and found a car 75 miles away thats the same year, engine, colour and spec from a peugeot dealer that was 10k

Now it turns out it was exactly the same car!!

so they bought it from a pug dealer for 10k or most likely less, and sold t on with the same warrenty deal and all that bumf that the previous garage was offering!

do my Grandparents have a right to ask where the extra money has come from? ( we have printouts of the sale advertisments from both garages to show they are exactly the same car)

Can they pull out or get money off?

cheers people

Have they put a deposit down? If no cash has been exchanged then I would pull out and possibly forfeit the deposit (depending on how much it was) and save upwards of £3k.

The dealer doesn’t have to explain the price, your grandparents have seen the car, liked it, want it and were prepared to pay the screen price. The fact it was cheaper, the fact it is over priced isn’t breaking any consumer laws.

There’s no scam involved. Unfortunately your grandparents despite their age and life experience have been very naive :(