Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Answer To Problem Of Vibration In 5th Gear

highlandjock

Hi Folks

I've had this problem of a vibration in 5th gear at around 60mph since I got the car 2 years ago its a 53 plate D4D 40,000 miles.

I have trolled the internet and this site for answers but as yet I didnt find the solution to the problem, until now, You name I had tried it.

I decided to look more at the simple answer instead of stripping the gearbox or fitting a new clutch as I had been advised.

I have uploaded the pictures of the simple fix.

I took the gear nob off and stripped out the centre consul

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th no problem why because on the outer cable on the right hand side, the inner cable lies at a slight angle in 1st, 2nd ,3rd and 4th, but when its in 5th the cables run parallel thus causing a very small gap between the two, hence a vibration.

simple...

As shown in the pictures I have cut a small rubber and cut a groove the same diameter as the cable , cost 10p out the stationers released the clip for the cable and place the rubber under the cable.

Replace the cable and lubricate.

refit centre console

Job done...

You may find your gear selector is now a little bit tighter, but the benifits are no more annoying vibration and £600 lighter in the pocket. That would have been the cost for toyota to replace the 2 cable and the gear change as they qouted me.

I now like my rav again

Any question drop me an email

yours aye Gavin

Thanx to R.G

ps I hope this has been of use to many

post-70236-1260463410_thumb.jpg

post-70236-1260463435_thumb.jpg

post-70236-1260463455_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

well done young sire - rapidly becoming an expert... well maybe a super-expert!

How are you doing young man, I thought everyone on the site was asleep.. was an expert ( use that term lighly) for 22 years but been away from it for 5 years now, its all changing fast althought still try too keep up. how are you getting on with your projects!!. Im looking at getting the car chipped, extra 35 bhp, im told that it will improve the pulling power when towing the caravan. Its a bit slow from 45 - 60, mind you the van is 1450kgs. maybe cheaper downsizing.

Also on the weight limit. good luck with the voting

How are you doing young man, I thought everyone on the site was asleep.. was an expert ( use that term lighly) for 22 years but been away from it for 5 years now, its all changing fast althought still try too keep up. how are you getting on with your projects!!. Im looking at getting the car chipped, extra 35 bhp, im told that it will improve the pulling power when towing the caravan. Its a bit slow from 45 - 60, mind you the van is 1450kgs. maybe cheaper downsizing.

Also on the weight limit. good luck with the voting

Don't be so shy - once an expert....

Local hero had the chip fitted i think and seems to have been happy.

My 2 projects ---- well number one is running around 400bhp and with the new 3 paddle sports clutch is helluva fast. Glasgow to Alloa in less minutes than Glasgow to east Kilbride! just waiting for Crail to re-open next year to try the beast - the last clutch got over-cooked.

number 2 RAV is in the garage getting a new gearbox as the run up the A9 recently seemed to destroy the speedo ring - must have been all the high speed overtaking?

Caravans are funny things - so things like dragging brakes or poor wheel bearings make a difference. And you obviously know about the weights and balancing. I did pull a 3 ton caravan with the 3 door RAV but it was a 30mph jobbie and really hard on the clutch if a reverse was required.

Good luck!!

Your right about the brakes, there a pain in the butt. Bit off a naff design I suppose they go along with the lack of primer on the wheels or laquar. Hopefully get them repainted this winter, would,nt mind the new 17inch if they fit.

Your right about the brakes, there a pain in the butt. Bit off a naff design I suppose they go along with the lack of primer on the wheels or laquar. Hopefully get them repainted this winter, would,nt mind the new 17inch if they fit.

for what its worth both my 4.1s are running 18"

• 1 year later...

Hi, I realise that this thread is a few years old but I tried to send an email but was not permitted (newby I guess)

Anyway, I have a dreaded vibration in the Mrs RAV4 which I only discovered recently. I have downloaded the details of the 5th gear problem but it does not jump out and in fact feels quite tight. The previous owner had full Toyota service history so I guess if there was any problems she would have had it fixed.

Can anyone describe the vibration that occurs in this scenario. What I hear/feel is a vibration and droning noise which is similar to a uni joint going out or a tail shaft out of balance, but it only occurs in 5th gear.

Any help would be appreciated, I know this is my first post, but I am a member of another similar forum which I find invaluable similar to all those that have gone before me on this forum.

Greetings from Australia.

Sunsett

Hi, I realise that this thread is a few years old but I tried to send an email but was not permitted (newby I guess)

Anyway, I have a dreaded vibration in the Mrs RAV4 which I only discovered recently. I have downloaded the details of the 5th gear problem but it does not jump out and in fact feels quite tight. The previous owner had full Toyota service history so I guess if there was any problems she would have had it fixed.

Can anyone describe the vibration that occurs in this scenario. What I hear/feel is a vibration and droning noise which is similar to a uni joint going out or a tail shaft out of balance, but it only occurs in 5th gear.

Any help would be appreciated, I know this is my first post, but I am a member of another similar forum which I find invaluable similar to all those that have gone before me on this forum.

Greetings from Australia.

Sunsett

I there I have an 03 xt4 d42 2.0 diesel when moving up the gears to 5th gear just reaching 60mph the gear stick vibrates making a nippy knocking noise as soon a I put my hand on the ge knob it stops take hand off is still there, I speed up a little it goes away ?

Hi Graeme, your problem seems to be the cable issue vibrating against the cowling. Fixed with placing a notched pencil rubber under the cable.

Hi Graeme, your problem seems to be the cable issue vibrating against the cowling. Fixed with placing a notched pencil rubber under the cable.

Cheers Andrew for the reply, yes I think that must be the case will try it how easy

Is it to remove the the centre console unit , and taking out the cable clip have you done this ? Do you have the same problem you think let us know how you get on cheers Graeme

No I havent tried this trick. I wish mine could be fixed with the 10c eraser. I think I have the dreaded 5th gear problem. I am speaking with a mechanic at the moment for a second opinion. It looks like it will be $600 Aust for the replacement kit.

• 2 years later...

Hi highlandjock,

thanks for sharing this fix. I have the same problem...

One question: Did you try to remove the outter casing and see if the vibration was gone. If it's possible to drive without the outter cable/casing.

I´m asking this because i'm not sure if the vibration comes from the inner cable hitting the outter one or from the ball joint

under the shift rod itself.

ine things is for sure: when i pull the cable up, the vbration stops.

thanks

funkyjojo

• 3 years later...

Thanks so much, I have had this exact same problem for years, will try out the fix you have suggested.

I'm afraid you will eventually have to replace the fifth gear assembley, this is a short term fix as have been there myself. You can replace just the fifth gear yourself for around £250 for parts there is a great step by step guide on here if you search for it I have posted it a few times, once replaced it will be sorted for good.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links