Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Servicing Help Required

enyajtrebor

Hi, my daughters Y plate 1300 Yaris is up for its 60k service which I will be doing at home. Can anyone advise on whether the rear drums are held on via the wheel bearings and split pin nuts or are they self locking nuts which need to be replaced each time. (or are there back plate viewing holes for the rear shoes?)

Also as far as I know the plugs haven't been replaced - are they platinum tipped and any problem with removal ?

Thanks

Hi, my daughters Y plate 1300 Yaris is up for its 60k service which I will be doing at home. Can anyone advise on whether the rear drums are held on via the wheel bearings and split pin nuts or are they self locking nuts which need to be replaced each time. (or are there back plate viewing holes for the rear shoes?)

Also as far as I know the plugs haven't been replaced - are they platinum tipped and any problem with removal ?

Thanks

remove the rear wheels and hit the drums with a hammer and bobs your uncle the drums will come off.spark plugs are at 40k air filter some were 30k some were 40k.

As the rear drums are held on by the wheel bolts, they should come off by hand with no hammer. Mine did. If you use a steel hammer you risk cracking the cast iron drums. Use a copper one or a wooden interface to avoid that.

You may have to manually adjust the shoes via the access hole in the backplate if there is a lip on the drum.

At 40k miles, I had good original shoes and no lip...

Thanks

And to correctly :P remove the drums, you will see 2 threaded holes in the drum, simply wind in 2 bolts and the drums will hopefully come away,if not,while the bolts are lightly under pressure, you can then tap the drum with your knocking stick.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the info everyone - do the plugs threads get carbonned up and become a pain to remove ?

Thanks for all your help, goona sort it middle of January when it will probably be freezing !!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all your help, goona sort it middle of January when it will probably be freezing !!

Service done today - 67K recorded mileage (genuine) - had to replace the front pads, first set its ever had !! Rear brake shoes still with plenty of wear left..............

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links