Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris 1.0 Ltr 2002 Vs 2004 Gearboxes

andy-t

Hi all,

My 2002, 1.0 litre Yaris GS (french built) needs a new manual 5-speed gearbox. My engine is a 1SZFE (engine code) engine.

I've found a gearbox from a 2004 Yaris, which had the same engine code (95% sure - all the 1 litre '99-'05's were 1SZFE's). But the 2004 car is a slight face-lift car. I've seen a picture of the gearbox, and it looks exactly the same apart from the speedometer drive and the gear selector mechanism.

The speedometer drive is blanked off on the 2004 gearbox, a simple enough job to take the old speedo drive from the old gearbox(???). The gear selector mechanism looks like it will take the linkage cables from my gearbox - so all appears well(???).

BUT... it'll cost me £200 to get the gearbox to me, and if it 'aint right - I'll probably only find out with my car in a gazillion bits and my temper already frayed!!!

Any ideas? will a 2004 (facelift) 1 litre Yaris gearbox fit a 2002 1 litre Yaris?? I'd have thought so...

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Your vin plate on your car will tell you what your box is, and this is what you would need to match to, so you would need to know the info off the donor vin plate vehicle, you could end up with incorrect gear ratio's and a slower car.

Do you know which part of the vin number it is? (although I'm not sure the breaker will have a record of this).

With regard to gear ratios etc, shouldn't be a problem. Same car, same engine, same size wheels - gear ratios must be more or less the same. It's whether it "fits" and everything connects up is what I'm worried about.

Thanks for your help!

Andy

Gear boxes were revised in the 2003 face lift model.

I've looked at the casings (castings?) of my 2002 Yaris, and compared them to the casings of the facelift model and they seem to be the same. The only differences seem to be what I listed above, do you know of any other changes?

My Haynes manual covers all models '99-'05, it doesn't mention any differences - but clearly there are a few...

Thanks for your reply!

Andy