Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Corolla Idle Speed From Very Cold Start

TAF

Hi all, im just wondering what your corolla idles at when you start it first thing from cold...and how long does it take to come down!

My 1.6 is hitting 2000 revs from cold... i dont drive it straight away i let it run for a min or 2 then set off.. it takes roughly 5 mins for revs to sit back to norm, which for me is 600-700. Am i being para or is this normal??

With 'catalytic converter' equiped car I would say this is unusual but with older models like the 1980's GTi it was quite normal.

In fact in your case I would be concerned as this is surely 'pumping' extra fuel down the cat.

Some also say you shouldn't let a vehicle idle for too long when cold but drive off vertually straight away; but with NO harsh acceleration while engine is cold!

Mine revs up to around 2000rpm too, they all do dont they? I usually let the car warm up before I drive off, waste's alot of fuel tho!

Mine usually starts at around 1400 rpm from cold and eventually falls away to around 800 rpm. I think that is normal for the 1.6 VVTi. Not sure about 2000 rpm but maybe if it is very cold, as now, that is normal too. I never wait for the engine to warm up. For a modern engine this really isn't necessary - just gentle acceleration for the first few miles is fine and will get the engine up to temperature quicker anyway. Well, that's my view for what it's worth :thumbsup:

Hi all, im just wondering what your corolla idles at when you start it first thing from cold...and how long does it take to come down!

My 1.6 is hitting 2000 revs from cold... i dont drive it straight away i let it run for a min or 2 then set off.. it takes roughly 5 mins for revs to sit back to norm, which for me is 600-700. Am i being para or is this normal??

Mine is running at about 1500 the last few very cold mornings, been handy in the snow has i can let it crawl abit and no wheel spin?

Thanks for the info guys.... i would of thought 1500 revs would be about right thats why im questioning mine hitting 2000.

sounds about right, fathers 1.6 avensis hits around 2000 for 30 secs, and lately the womans 1.5 vitz is hitting 2200, up till last week it was 2000 which i didnt mind but dont like when it goes up to 2200, thats only very cold mornings though

It's normal. Aim is to get the Cat and engine as warm as possible as fast as possible.

Better to drive since it'll warm it up faster rather than leaving idle but it won't do it any harm either

My T Sport is a rock steady 1750rpm on cold start fast idle, goes up to 1825 or so after an oil change ( nice fully synthetic oil ).

:thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links