Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Easy Modding?

KPARRIS-JONES

Me again, :D

I was just thinking, if the FT-86 will be sold for drifting to younger petrol heads, then how easy will it be to modify and service?

Many German cars require a computer just to take a bloody wheel off, which obviously isn't ideal for a home mechanic or track-day car people. Do we know what it will be like too repair? Maybe something like the Smart Car design (cheap, easy-to-repair plastic panels) would be a good idea to put in place?

I just really want Toyota to get this one right to rebuild its reputation!! :yes:

DISCUSS!

Discuss?? :huh:

Sadly my crystal ball is broken so i can't see what Toyota are planning :( :lol:

:lol: :lol: I say discuss because we are the only people posting here, we need some more interest.

We could sneak into Toyota HQ and get those plans......they'll suspect nothing... :ph34r: :D

:lol:

I was just thinking, if the FT-86 will be sold for drifting to younger petrol heads, then how easy will it be to modify and service?

How many young petrol heads do you see being able to afford one?

it doesn't look to me that it's likely to be "cheap" (i.e. sub 30K)?

How many young petrol heads do you see being able to afford one?

it doesn't look to me that it's likely to be "cheap" (i.e. sub 30K)?

Well Toyota have said themselves that they want it to be affordable to younger people and cheap. So I want to know how far they're really going to acheive this.

Strangely, the methods that they have used to build it are cheaper than standard methods and yet make for a better drift machine! :lol:

:lol: :lol: I say discuss because we are the only people posting here, we need some more interest.

We could sneak into Toyota HQ and get those plans......they'll suspect nothing... :ph34r: :D

:lol:

I like that idea :ph34r:

Toyota are reported to be aiming for a sub £20k price tag....

Sub 20k isn't too bad to be honest. I mean obviously no teenager could own that as a first car, (except one 6th former I know who has a Merc for his first car!) but that's a decent price for what it is I think. :yes:

I will most definitely be pestering my dad to get one, and then put me on the insurance! :D :lol:

It will be interesting to see if it is priced the same as the Scooby badged one. Sub 20K will be a winner me thinks. Thats inline (ish) with S2000 and MX5 and apart from the fact that only old gits like me will be able to Tax n 'nsure it, and as I cant buy a Tundrapost-76215-1261485475_thumb.jpg in the UK, I'll have one of these.

• 2 weeks later...

They will most likely struggle against the likes of the MX-5 because it has been so long standing, however they are aimed at slightly different markets, and so will drive very differently which I hope is taken into account when it comes to any reviews being made...

i very much doubt that it will be easy to work on by the DIY mechanic.

toyota are making their cars more and more that they need to go to a dealer just to change a bulb (have a look under the bonnet of an Auris or Avensis. as for tuning im sure there will be somthing from TTE.

also i doubt that Toyota will condone customers to Track their cars, look at Nissan with the R35. if you use the launch control and bugger up yor transmission its tough and its you who will be paying the £25k for a new one!!

we'll have to wait and see.

dont think theyve issued a launch date yet have they?

i very much doubt that it will be easy to work on by the DIY mechanic.

toyota are making their cars more and more that they need to go to a dealer just to change a bulb (have a look under the bonnet of an Auris or Avensis. as for tuning im sure there will be somthing from TTE.

also i doubt that Toyota will condone customers to Track their cars, look at Nissan with the R35. if you use the launch control and bugger up yor transmission its tough and its you who will be paying the £25k for a new one!!

we'll have to wait and see.

dont think theyve issued a launch date yet have they?

True, but my point is that it would not be wise to go too far the other way because if they end up doing what they have done to the Avensis as you mentioned, then the supposed "drift" market will not make themselves present because DIY is what they will do. OR Toyota will have to train their mechanics to mod them upon customers request, which I honestly don't think is a bad idea! :lol:

its all about warranty and brand image. not 100% that drifting is a 'green' concept. also by limiting what customes can do means there is more money in it for the dealers, in other words a stable income from servicing

its all about warranty and brand image. not 100% that drifting is a 'green' concept. also by limiting what customes can do means there is more money in it for the dealers, in other words a stable income from servicing

Yes, you're right.... sadly :(

I would like a company to offer mods on the options list! :yes:

It just makes sense to me because the modding market is obviously quite large! :lol:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links