Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Head Gasket Queries

darrenc

hiya im new but been reading a lot of interestings posts here last 2 days thanks :)

im wanting to buy a mark III supra turbo, BUT im gettin a little scared of all the " head gasket blowing talk" is it a very common thing? is it a big and expensive job to repair? would any advise me to get a slightly cheaper car and spend cash servicing and replacing parts before i drive... any help very much appreciated thnx

Yes, the mkiii has a bad problem of blowing stock HG's, the norm is too replace with a metal head gasket.

If you need to put the car into a garage to fix a blown hg then your probably looking in the region of £1500.

If you good with spanners then your only looking at around £300.

like stated above... yes it is a very common problem. just Not every 40,000 thousan miles common. most of the owners i know experienced trouble with it around 100 thousand. The metal head gasket however does completely eliminate the problem. Chances are youre going to get a car thats had it done already.(its rare to find a supra for a decent price under 100,000 miles. My advice is to do what i did with my car. I bought my supra with about 150000 miles on it for about $2,000. I rebuilt the engine and durring the rebuilt had them install the hks metal head gasket. Now my car is problem free.

• 12 years later...

welcome to the forum :)

Have you tried a dealer? Or try somebody like Fensport.